Post your tinted windows

RockyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Optima SXL, 2015 Honda CRV EX, 2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2003 Lancer Evolution
20% all around 5% front strip.

Honda Civic 10th gen Post your tinted windows 20160427_191146-1

wooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Has anyone measured their window with tint meter afterwards?
I know that you are suppose to multiply factory tint, which I think it is 74% by the tint you got like 20%.
But I was told that the actual number does not come out like that.
So can you tell me what the tint meter said after you put on what percentage tint?(would be helpful if you told me the brand name, too)
I am trying to stay within my state law.
Thank you.

CosmicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2014 Honda Civic EX-L Navi
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has anyone measured their window with tint meter afterwards?
I know that you are suppose to multiply factory tint, which I think it is 74% by the tint you got like 20%.
But I was told that the actual number does not come out like that.
So can you tell me what the tint meter said after you put on what percentage tint?(would be helpful if you told me the brand name, too)
I am trying to stay within my state law.
Thank you.
I did this but I chat remember the exact numbers. The calculation is pretty close. The tint shop should be able to show you if you ask. They have a light meter they can measure the window and slip on different tints to see % change and decide which you want.

Last edited:

wooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I did this but I chat remember the exact numbers. The calculation is pretty close. The tint shop should be able to show you if you ask. They have a light meter they can measure the window and slip on different tints to see % change and decide which you want.
Should I have them cut around the 3rd brake light in rear window?

thepixelsedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
It should be pretty easy to calculate the percentage of light that still gets through.

Follow along: the civic has 70% tint from factory.

I got my back windows tinted with 5% tint. That means they allow 5% of the light through. But my windows are already tinted 70% so this means that in total after tinting, my windows will allow only 5% of the 70% into the car.

So to calculate how much total light comes through you multiply 5% by 70% or said another way:
.05x.7=.035 which means although my back window tint is 5%, because of the factory 70% tint, only 3.5% of total light enters my back windows.

RockyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Optima SXL, 2015 Honda CRV EX, 2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2003 Lancer Evolution

wooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
It should be pretty easy to calculate the percentage of light that still gets through.

Follow along: the civic has 70% tint from factory.

I got my back windows tinted with 5% tint. That means they allow 5% of the light through. But my windows are already tinted 70% so this means that in total after tinting, my windows will allow only 5% of the 70% into the car.

So to calculate how much total light comes through you multiply 5% by 70% or said another way:
.05x.7=.035 which means although my back window tint is 5%, because of the factory 70% tint, only 3.5% of total light enters my back windows.
yeah I know how to calculate the percentages. my question to you is, did you actually measure the VLT using a meter?
the reason I ask the question is because I was told that calculated percentages do not always match the actual percentage in real life and can be different by a few percentages. and those few percentages might be the difference between which shade I can tint my windows legally in my state. Lowest I can have is 32%.

TChewy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Cosmic Blue, 2014 Mazda CX-5
Should I have them cut around the 3rd brake light in rear window?
Personally I think it looks cleaner without the cut so the whole rear window is tinted uniformly.

thepixelsedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Nope never measured it but I seriously doubt the cops ever will either. If you're off by a couple percent I don't think any cop would notice or even care.

Window tint tickets usually only come into play if you've pissed off the cop. By itself they will not pull you over for tint unless it's blatantly too dark. If you're talking just a couple percent then it's really a non-issue. If you get pulled over for speeding or something legitimate, don't be a dick and give the cop a reason to throw the book at you. If you're respectful, they'll usually just send you on your way with your legitimate ticket.

Tint is what I call a "piss off police" charge. If you piss them off, they'll nail you. If you don't, they probably won't even notice.

logan

New Civic Blood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda CIVIC EX-T
35% Front Windows & 25% Back Windows using 3M Film. I originally wanted the same tint all around, but front tints are illegal in CA. And the cops around my area are always bored and pulling people over for their tints so I decided to play it safe. Paid $280. Most places in SF charge $300+

20160413_183857.jpg
35% in front windows is still playing it safe?

Mr.Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Black
I did 15% all around, I hope the police out here in FL are lenient
Sponsored