Post your tinted windows

TChewy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Cosmic Blue, 2014 Mazda CX-5
Company had been around for awhile and was just bought out per a local tint shop I spoke to during my research. I considered this or Huper Optik for my flat glass in the office. Not sure about their vehicle applications. $350 is high for carbon tint. Solargard has ceramic too.
The $350 includes the removal of existing tint which is about $100 in our market so it's really $250 for tint itself. The quotes I've been getting for CXP are about $295 without removal.
Sponsored

CosmicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2014 Honda Civic EX-L Navi
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The $350 includes the removal of existing tint which is about $100 in our market so it's really $250 for tint itself. The quotes I've been getting for CXP are about $295 without removal.
Got it. Not bad then. Have you researched reviews on the Solargard?

TChewy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Cosmic Blue, 2014 Mazda CX-5
Got it. Not bad then. Have you researched reviews on the Solargard?
Looking into it now. Looks like a much lower TSER compared to CXP.

Ultra Performance 20 VLT 20 TSER 49
Suntek CXP18 VLT 16 TSER 56

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
I finally got mine done last week. 3M Color Stable (nano-carbon) at 35% all the way around so the cops are less likely to give tickets here in Ontario where there is no fixed maximum tint amount for the front side glass. The law leaves it up to the officer's discretion so if you piss him off during a routine traffic stop, he can ticket you if he says he can't see you well enough.

I wish I picked a better location but with all the water and sand on the roads, I couldn't even get from the carwash to the house without it getting all dirty again.
Honda Civic 10th gen Post your tinted windows IMG_1212.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen Post your tinted windows IMG_1216.JPG

Angela1256

First Name
Angela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EXL
Country flag

kprado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro, '16 Honda Civic EX-T
35% Front Windows & 25% Back Windows using 3M Film. I originally wanted the same tint all around, but front tints are illegal in CA. And the cops around my area are always bored and pulling people over for their tints so I decided to play it safe. Paid $280. Most places in SF charge $300+

Honda Civic 10th gen Post your tinted windows 20160413_183857

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
35% front (legal in Ontario)...
Re-read the Ontario law, there is no prescribed amount of aftermarket tint that is "legal". You are at the mercy of the officer and if he thinks he can't see you properly then you may get a ticket. Federal law mandates "factory" tint and provincial law mandates each province individually.

Also keep in mind that your 35% VLT tint x factory 70% VLT tint is equal to about 25% visual light transmission (.35 x .70 = .25).

Pulled from a secret internet source: article on Quebec VS Ontario window tint rules as I couldn't find the act again,

"Window tinting is addressed in sections 73 and 74 of the (Highway Traffic Act) whereby the surface of the windshield or any side window to the left or right of the driver cannot be coated with any colour spray or other colour coating in such a manner as to obstruct the driver's view of the roadway, or obscure the view from outside to the interior of the motor vehicle," says Ministry of Transportation spokesman Bob Nichols in an email.

Translation: you have to be able to see outside, and other people, especially police, have to be able to see you.

Ontario's law doesn't
specify a percentage of tint - it's up to police to decide whether your windows are too dark.

If they decide they can't see you, you could be fined anywhere from $85, plus surcharges and fees, to $500.

CosmicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Re-read the Ontario law, there is no prescribed amount of aftermarket tint that is "legal". You are at the mercy of the officer and if he thinks he can't see you properly then you may get a ticket. Federal law mandates "factory" tint and provincial law mandates each province individually.

Also keep in mind that your 35% VLT tint x factory 70% VLT tint is equal to about 25% visual light transmission (.35 x .70 = .25).

Pulled from a secret internet source: article on Quebec VS Ontario window tint rules as I couldn't find the act again,

"Window tinting is addressed in sections 73 and 74 of the (Highway Traffic Act) whereby the surface of the windshield or any side window to the left or right of the driver cannot be coated with any colour spray or other colour coating in such a manner as to obstruct the driver's view of the roadway, or obscure the view from outside to the interior of the motor vehicle," says Ministry of Transportation spokesman Bob Nichols in an email.

Translation: you have to be able to see outside, and other people, especially police, have to be able to see you.

Ontario's law doesn't
specify a percentage of tint - it's up to police to decide whether your windows are too dark.

If they decide they can't see you, you could be fined anywhere from $85, plus surcharges and fees, to $500.
Our cars meter at 74% VLT front and 77% VLT back.

CosmicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
35% Front Windows & 25% Back Windows using 3M Film. I originally wanted the same tint all around, but front tints are illegal in CA. And the cops around my area are always bored and pulling people over for their tints so I decided to play it safe. Paid $280. Most places in SF charge $300+

20160413_183857.jpg
Which 3M film did you get? Your picture looks like the Mission area...

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I finally got mine done last week. 3M Color Stable (nano-carbon) at 35% all the way around so the cops are less likely to give tickets here in Ontario where there is no fixed maximum tint amount for the front side glass. The law leaves it up to the officer's discretion so if you piss him off during a routine traffic stop, he can ticket you if he says he can't see you well enough.

I wish I picked a better location but with all the water and sand on the roads, I couldn't even get from the carwash to the house without it getting all dirty again.
IMG_1212.JPG
IMG_1216.JPG
Looks good. The guy that did my tints was saying that tickets for dark tints are what he calls "attitude tickets". If a cop sees some kid driving around in a low riding Lancer with big rims and a loud fart can exhaust, he's a lot more likely to give them a ticket than a guy driving a stock Civic with the same tint. I find the ivory interior makes it a lot easier to see inside the car anyways so I don't think we have to worry about it.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
Looks good. The guy that did my tints was saying that tickets for dark tints are what he calls "attitude tickets". If a cop sees some kid driving around in a low riding Lancer with big rims and a loud fart can exhaust, he's a lot more likely to give them a ticket than a guy driving a stock Civic with the same tint. I find the ivory interior makes it a lot easier to see inside the car anyways so I don't think we have to worry about it.
Yup, a buddy is an OPP officer and he called it a "don't piss me off" ticket. If he pulls someone over for another infraction and they get belligerent then he may tack on the "tint is too dark" fine as well.

WillWonderful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
The shark fin is for the navi and XM radio i think. The am/fm antenna is in the glass I think. Here's some info from www.thespokaneshop.com:
  • Metallized film, like dyed film, keeps heat away from interior space by reflecting it away; in the case of metallized film, this is done by very small metallic particles – invisible to the eye – embedded in the film. This metallic content strengthens the window as well; in the case of a vehicle, the window will be that much more shatter-resistant when metallized film is used. Metallized window-tinting film creates a shiny appearance from the outside. It is more resistant to scratches than dyed film. When used in a vehicle, however, one drawback of metallized film is the fact that its metallic content has a tendency to interfere with cell phone and GPS transmission, not to mention radio reception.

This is my reception on both phone and GPS. Looks like no issues here.

Honda Civic 10th gen Post your tinted windows IMG_20160419_201438

CosmicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think it's color stable. I went to King Tint in San Bruno and they only had one kind. Nope, Daly City.
Got it....grew up in the area...Color Stable is good tint. I have it on my 14 Civic. How much did they charge you?
Sponsored