Post repair inspection

Julie1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan Touring MSM
Country flag
My touring sustained $11,000 in damage and is being repaired. It should be done at the end of this week or early next week. I trust the body shop, however, I want to do a thorough inspection prior to signing the two-party insurance check(s). Has anyone had major repairs done to a car? Any advice on what to check and/or what to look out for? Obviously I'll look at the areas damaged, make sure the paint matches and that all the features work. I'll take it for a drive on city streets and on the highway to test all the sensing features as well as the turbo. I'll make sure I get the warranty in writing so anything that comes up after will be taken care of. I was assured they are using only new OEM parts, I'll get that in writing as well. And I plan to schedule a post-repair inspection with another body shop as soon as possible. Anything else? Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
It would help if you knew, or could tell us what the $11,000 in damage was.

If it's all sheet metal work and paint/labour, then obviously just look for those. Try and see blends in the paint under different lighting conditions, and compare them to the non damaged areas of the car. Keep in mind that you have to realize it is a repair, and a 90% match will be considered a good job.

If you had mechanical damage, then that's a whole different ball game. Again, without knowing where the hit was, it's impossible to give you specific advice.

Ask the shop's head guy to accompany you on the quick test drive, point out things to him as you notice them.

More info, more advice :)

OP
OP

Julie1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Modern Steel Metallic. This body shop previously repaired my bumper and the paint did not match. There's a bit of a purple tint to the original paint and their paint was more blueish. They told me it was because it is a different material than the body, but I countered with "the original bumper and the rear bumper match". So...this time I asked them to make sure it matches, if it doesn't I'll demand they repaint the entire car. I should add that the color on the bumper did cure a bit so the colors were closer, but still not the right tint.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Modern Steel Metallic. This body shop previously repaired my bumper and the paint did not match. There's a bit of a purple tint to the original paint and their paint was more blueish. They told me it was because it is a different material than the body, but I countered with "the original bumper and the rear bumper match". So...this time I asked them to make sure it matches, if it doesn't I'll demand they repaint the entire car. I should add that the color on the bumper did cure a bit so the colors were closer, but still not the right tint.
If it's insurance paying for it, request they get the paint directly from Honda.

However, they are not lying to you when they say different materials react differently to the same paint. It'll also depend on what primer and how much they use, etc.

Lastly, at the risk our sounding like an ass, demanding they repaint the whole car will get you laughed at and to take the car elsewhere, so please don't try that, or think it's an acceptable thing to demand.

OP
OP

Julie1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If it's insurance paying for it, request they get the paint directly from Honda.

However, they are not lying to you when they say different materials react differently to the same paint. It'll also depend on what primer and how much they use, etc.

Lastly, at the risk our sounding like an ass, demanding they repaint the whole car will get you laughed at and to take the car elsewhere, so please don't try that, or think it's an acceptable thing to demand.
Okay, demand was the wrong word. I won't sign the check if I'm not happy with the paint. ;-) Also, I know these guys, my mom worked with them for 20 years, and I worked there part time for a while, so my "demanding" something wouldn't be as bad as it sounds. Since they'll be painting the entire front end, at least one door and the rear bumper (those are only the areas I know) I'll be able to see if the paint doesn't match. I don't have a problem with it being a different tint, I just don't want a two-toned car. They know my expectations so we'll see. The Honda dealership I go to doesn't have a body shop and I think, at this point, it might be too late to have it painted at one.

OP
OP

Julie1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm really more worried about what I can't see from a visual inspection.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Again, what kind of accident/incident was it?

If you don't suspect mechanical damage, then the inspection should be straightforward.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
And I plan to schedule a post-repair inspection with another body shop as soon as possible.
I would get that done at a Honda dealership, not another body shop. Or maybe both. But a Honda mechanic will be more qualified to assess whatever mechanical repairs were done than a body shop mechanic would be.

OP
OP

Julie1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Again, what kind of accident/incident was it?

If you don't suspect mechanical damage, then the inspection should be straightforward.
Sorry, didn't catch your first response. :) I was rear ended by a Cadillac while stopped behind a Mercedes SUV waiting to turn.

Honda Civic 10th gen Post repair inspection IMG_9575.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Post repair inspection IMG_9605.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Post repair inspection IMG_9602.JPG

OP
OP

Julie1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would get that done at a Honda dealership, not another body shop. Or maybe both. But a Honda mechanic will be more qualified to assess whatever mechanical repairs were done than a body shop mechanic would be.
I'll probably do both. I need at least a couple diminished value assessments as well.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Yikes, I was like eh the back's not that bad, and then saw the front...
That looks quite bad. I hope you're not hurt as bad as the car :(

Damage like that, look for things like odd vibrations or if the car drives true.
Make sure all panels align when both opened and closed, and that all metal parts that were affected are properly painted and sealed.

OP
OP

Julie1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yikes, I was like eh the back's not that bad, and then saw the front...
That looks quite bad. I hope you're not hurt as bad as the car :(

Damage like that, look for things like odd vibrations or if the car drives true.
Make sure all panels align when both opened and closed, and that all metal parts that were affected are properly painted and sealed.
Thanks. I'll definitely check those.

My husband was driving and he now has neck issues. Other than that we're okay. All other parties are too. The girl that hit us is 16 and uninsured. She hit us hard, going probably 35-40 mph, didn't even try to stop (texting maybe). I also ride a motorcycle, this has shaken me quite a bit, it might be a while before I hop on the Harley again.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Ah, that's up there on the list of things I'd never like to go through, especially right around Christmas.

Good luck with everything!
Sponsored