Post breakup regret and sadness

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yesterday I broke up with my girlfriend of a year ON our one year anniversary.. its been tough all the way until now because parts of me are filled with regret if I even made the right decision.

I'm 24, she's 20. There's a big age gap but we never minded that, we got along really well from the start. We vibed together easily, enjoyed a lot of the same things, and she was the first person in a long time I could really act myself and be comfortable around. She really loved me, she cared for me, always wanted to keep me well fed, always came to all my music performances that I had, got me little small gifts here and there and drew drawings for me (she's great at art) randomly and sent them to me. We both acted soft as fuck with eachother when we were alone and when we were outside we were always affectionate and she kept me happy and calm.

The only thing is because of our age gap, we were in two separate stages of life. I'm working full time 9-5, she's still in school and working a part time job. Our conflicting schedules was the source of conflict quite a bit over the past few months, I'd be sleeping early while she's staying up late doing work. There will be days she wants to see me but I'm just too tired from work to make the commute (an hour+ of heavy city traffic). A lot of situations of miscommunication and we both have our own ways of handling it, the way she handled it usually led me into downwards spirals of anxiety. I felt as if I purely revolved around her, if she was sad, then I was sad, if she felt off, I felt off. There were certain levels of expectations that she expected and even if I felt like I was accomplishing them, she didn't. I found my mood and emotions getting thrown off every single time the even slightest of situations started to arise even though they weren't necessarily bad situations. Found myself feeling guilty and she sometimes guilt tripped me if I tried to do things on my own, like work on my car, play some call of duty, or just have any me time.

The older I get, the more I started to care for myself and put myself first. I've always been a "yes" man, I'm liked by a lot of people and do have a lot of "friends" because people think I'm super friendly and a kind person but I feel like it's because I tend to be a people pleaser a lot of the time. I definitely deal with high functioning anxiety because I'm anxious on a daily basis but I cover it super well, never do people suspect that I'm nervous when I usually am. This slow realization made me start to self reflect a lot on this relationship and realized that maybe this isn't something I can do. I've communicated about possible solutions to some of these problems we've had but never saw any progress and just saw myself spiraling into deep holes of anxiety at the smallest things.

So yesterday I decided to put myself first and love myself. As much as I love her and care about her, I need to do the same exact thing for me - love myself even more actually. As many of the positives that I have experienced and all the people telling me that we are the "perfect couple", it didn't always seem like that on the inside. I'm learning to cope with myself a lot more and learning to breathe easier while overthinking less but I feel like this might be a first necessary step because it wasn't a good influence for my mental health.

I'm going through a rollercoaster of emotions of highs and lows, parts of me clinging onto the good memories and the things we used to do and parts of me are realizing my self worth and patting myself on the back. I just kind of wanted to vent this out because I feel a lot better after writing this. I would've posted this on reddit but we both use reddit extensively so I didn't want to risk the chance of her seeing this. I'm sad but I'm strong, I've been through this before but maybe this time is just a little bit harder. My heart goes out to everyone in a similar spot and I'm here for ya.
Sponsored

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From personal experience, hang in there! Honestly, what you’re going through sounds like healthy processing. Seems like you’re allowing yourself to feel the emotions, and giving yourself space to understand your Self, and grow from it. Time is necessary, and will help you become better than you are now.

Feel, cry, experience longing, experience liberation, think deeply, and grow! (And not necessarily in that order. ?)

Purple Drink

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2007 Subaru STI, 1965 El Camino
Country flag
Yesterday I broke up with my girlfriend of a year ON our one year anniversary.. its been tough all the way until now because parts of me are filled with regret if I even made the right decision.

I'm 24, she's 20. There's a big age gap but we never minded that, we got along really well from the start. We vibed together easily, enjoyed a lot of the same things, and she was the first person in a long time I could really act myself and be comfortable around. She really loved me, she cared for me, always wanted to keep me well fed, always came to all my music performances that I had, got me little small gifts here and there and drew drawings for me (she's great at art) randomly and sent them to me. We both acted soft as fuck with eachother when we were alone and when we were outside we were always affectionate and she kept me happy and calm.

The only thing is because of our age gap, we were in two separate stages of life. I'm working full time 9-5, she's still in school and working a part time job. Our conflicting schedules was the source of conflict quite a bit over the past few months, I'd be sleeping early while she's staying up late doing work. There will be days she wants to see me but I'm just too tired from work to make the commute (an hour+ of heavy city traffic). A lot of situations of miscommunication and we both have our own ways of handling it, the way she handled it usually led me into downwards spirals of anxiety. I felt as if I purely revolved around her, if she was sad, then I was sad, if she felt off, I felt off. There were certain levels of expectations that she expected and even if I felt like I was accomplishing them, she didn't. I found my mood and emotions getting thrown off every single time the even slightest of situations started to arise even though they weren't necessarily bad situations. Found myself feeling guilty and she sometimes guilt tripped me if I tried to do things on my own, like work on my car, play some call of duty, or just have any me time.

The older I get, the more I started to care for myself and put myself first. I've always been a "yes" man, I'm liked by a lot of people and do have a lot of "friends" because people think I'm super friendly and a kind person but I feel like it's because I tend to be a people pleaser a lot of the time. I definitely deal with high functioning anxiety because I'm anxious on a daily basis but I cover it super well, never do people suspect that I'm nervous when I usually am. This slow realization made me start to self reflect a lot on this relationship and realized that maybe this isn't something I can do. I've communicated about possible solutions to some of these problems we've had but never saw any progress and just saw myself spiraling into deep holes of anxiety at the smallest things.

So yesterday I decided to put myself first and love myself. As much as I love her and care about her, I need to do the same exact thing for me - love myself even more actually. As many of the positives that I have experienced and all the people telling me that we are the "perfect couple", it didn't always seem like that on the inside. I'm learning to cope with myself a lot more and learning to breathe easier while overthinking less but I feel like this might be a first necessary step because it wasn't a good influence for my mental health.

I'm going through a rollercoaster of emotions of highs and lows, parts of me clinging onto the good memories and the things we used to do and parts of me are realizing my self worth and patting myself on the back. I just kind of wanted to vent this out because I feel a lot better after writing this. I would've posted this on reddit but we both use reddit extensively so I didn't want to risk the chance of her seeing this. I'm sad but I'm strong, I've been through this before but maybe this time is just a little bit harder. My heart goes out to everyone in a similar spot and I'm here for ya.

F' it .... I will reply. I've got double the years on you and have learned a lot over my lifetime.

It will pass.... life goes on. I myself found my prefect wife about 10yrs after that breakup.

topher_fc3

First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Trust your gut brother. This life is a short ride and goes by faster as the years tick by.

Just don’t waste the opportunity to make yourself happy and whole, that may not be jumping into another relationship and could be with traveling, reading, doing art, whatever, but take the time to take care of #1 (that’s you) and the rest will follow. ?

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks y'all. This was a good way for me to express everything and just talk about how I feel, all your words really do help me and it does mean a lot, I love this forum and community for me and it's a healthy outlet for me to just speak my mind a bit

I'm young and I got tons of things going for me, things are never easy but sometimes you have to bite your lip and just do whats best even if it hurts in the short term.

Now what's gonna really suck is deleting thousands of our pictures scattered through my photo library but I'll get to that another day :spaz:

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Work on yourself king life goes on this is just a little speed bump

Honda Civic 10th gen Post breakup regret and sadness BEECCBC6-7F59-4D52-847B-AB7C1598D682

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Work on yourself king life goes on this is just a little speed bump

BEECCBC6-7F59-4D52-847B-AB7C1598D682.jpeg
THIS IS A LITTLE SPEED BUMP AND IM SLAMMED AND STATIC BUT EVEN THOUGH I GET SCRAPED A LITTLE I WILL FIND MY WAY TO THE OTHER SIDE AND PROSPER :beer:

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
You will be alright my friend. give it time and go do things you like....beer & call of duty, go hunt/shoot..

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
My advice take up a hobby you love, fade to black do not answer her phone calls. sever all communication with her, her family and her friends....Have fun you are sooo young this will pass and before you know it you will probably find someone new.

Beansley

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I was in a long term relationship that was probably 60% bad 40% good but probably OK at best. Spent almost 7 years together but the last 2 were very very miserable for me. I think as humans the longer we spend with someone, the more we feel like we "don't want to waste our time" and "things will get better."

Others said take up hobbies, pretty true, I think keeping busy is the best option. I also find when you're not looking for relationships you'll more likely find something more real and effortless.

There's good days and bad days, hope you get better!

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry to hear about heartache, but you're not alone.

I agree with @Purple Drink, and I'm in their age range too.

I was married for 10 years (after dating for 5).

Divorce for 8 years, and dated 2 wonderful people during that time (I broke the first one's heart (yet, we're still really good friends), and the 2nd one crushed my heart (we're not friends, but that's due to with their repeated offences)). They were/are both good people ... just not good for me.

Then ... I had a second chance with my first love (high school sweetheart) ... and we've been together ever since.

Life is a blind curve, and life LOVES to throw a good curve ball!

Hopefully you will both grow and learn ... and eventually appreciate the experiences you shared.

Because ... if you don't learn from life's mistakes, you'll repeat them.

Be strong, and always look out for your own well being.

Connorsrandom

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
This has to be the first thread where everyone is actually being helpful and nice. :thumbsup: Keep your head up king. If your on xbox we can hit forza or call of duty and get your mind off it. @ connorsrandom

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You will be alright my friend. give it time and go do things you like....beer & call of duty, go hunt/shoot..
Thank you brother. Got home yesterday and felt extremely lonely because she would be the first one I would talk to, my homies made me get on cod and it made the time pass that much better
My advice take up a hobby you love, fade to black do not answer her phone calls. sever all communication with her, her family and her friends....Have fun you are sooo young this will pass and before you know it you will probably find someone new.
Definitely trying to get back into my old hobbies. I've been really dedicating my time to the stock market and learning more, trying to get consumed by the money making mentality right now so I can use my time positively, thank you homie.
I was in a long term relationship that was probably 60% bad 40% good but probably OK at best. Spent almost 7 years together but the last 2 were very very miserable for me. I think as humans the longer we spend with someone, the more we feel like we "don't want to waste our time" and "things will get better."

Others said take up hobbies, pretty true, I think keeping busy is the best option. I also find when you're not looking for relationships you'll more likely find something more real and effortless.

There's good days and bad days, hope you get better!
Yup! This relationship actually came when I wasn't really searching for it so that's why I gave a lot of effort into this one. My relationship was very similar it was like 70% good 30% bad but I just didn't know if the positives could negate the negatives especially when it considered my mental health. I'm definitely in that mentality of not wanting to waste time and holding onto the glimmer of light. Hindsight is strong but at the end of the day we get one life to live, important to make a decision and learn from it instead of playing out the 30 possible scenarios
Sorry to hear about heartache, but you're not alone.

I agree with @Purple Drink, and I'm in their age range too.

I was married for 10 years (after dating for 5).

Divorce for 8 years, and dated 2 wonderful people during that time (I broke the first one's heart (yet, we're still really good friends), and the 2nd one crushed my heart (we're not friends, but that's due to with their repeated offences)). They were/are both good people ... just not good for me.

Then ... I had a second chance with my first love (high school sweetheart) ... and we've been together ever since.

Life is a blind curve, and life LOVES to throw a good curve ball!

Hopefully you will both grow and learn ... and eventually appreciate the experiences you shared.

Because ... if you don't learn from life's mistakes, you'll repeat them.

Be strong, and always look out for your own well being.
Thank you brother and thank you for sharing your story. Absolutely learning from this one. Every relationship I've had, even the ones where I've been extremely heart broken, I still don't regret a single bit of it because it's morphed me into the man I am today and I'm happy with that. It's important to not focus on the negatives but understand the positive ways we get reformed from relationships and experiences with different people.
This has to be the first thread where everyone is actually being helpful and nice. :thumbsup: Keep your head up king. If your on xbox we can hit forza or call of duty and get your mind off it. @ connorsrandom
Absolutely. I haven't been on many car forums but I'm glad that the civicx community is how it is. Nowhere near as harsh as other forums and we all generally support eachother despite any differences we have

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Breakups suck. During my younger years I used to dwell on a breakup. Now I just don't give af. Put yourself first and F everyone else. I wouldn't be as successful as I am today if I was concerned about others. Call me selfish but I'd rather own my 3 cars outright and live in a badass house instead of trying to make sure some "significant other" is happy. I'm happy and that's all that matters.
Sponsored