Cody FKH8R

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Original Toyota Supra - amazing engineering - TOYOTA dream engine that could take unreal amounts of power and boost. TOYOTA engineering end to end - and it's a classic because of that heart and soul put into the platform.

Current Toyota Supra - 99% BMW - Toyota did the body a bit and some elements of the interior. Then to further capitulate to their Bavarian overlords they agreed to have less horsepower than the Z4 that is the 'sister' car BMW made, for....reasons? So the cool - sport oriented - performance car is slower than the luxury performance car. Cool. And you pop the hood on your Supra and explain the BMW engine in there till you want to puke anytime someone talks about your car because you are prepared to argue that it's not really a BMW sort of kind of not really.

Sounds like a fantastic ownership experience. And can you flip a coin to take it either to the BMW dealership or the Toyota one, or is it dependent on what part of the car breaks where you take it?

They can take their 'Supra' and shove it up their ass. I'm an enthusiast and I don't need someone selling me a BMW in a Toyota skin, I'll just go buy a BMW then?

Anyone considering a new Supra should read up on the old Supra and heritage and get some perspective on what a joke this thing is. If you're all good with all of that, and still love it, then go full big nuts on it and take ALL the Toyota badges off of it and put BMW badges in place. Now that would be something.
The only people that care about it having a bmw engine are 2j fan boys. The Mclaren F1 uses a bmw engine and I’ve never seen anyone cry about it.

OP
OP
Cody FKH8R

Cody FKH8R

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
4k miles in 1 year and you're done?!

If you want anywhere near $60k for you car+parts, you're better off selling your car and parts separately.
That’s probably what I’ll end up doing. Just trying to give someone the opportunity to make good power without paying for taxes and all that junk

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only people that care about it having a bmw engine are 2j fan boys. The Mclaren F1 uses a bmw engine and I’ve never seen anyone cry about it.
Well McLaren has never put their own engines into an F1 car, so it's hard to get upset over that. They actually reached out to Honda first for that car, since it was a Honda motor in their F1 cars at the time but they refused.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
The new MKV Supra is an an amazing drivers car. Toyota seems to have worked their magic with the BMW parts bin, specifically tuning + reliability testing + styling (in my opinion).

The manual Supra that just released uses a modified version of BMW's transmissions. It's been altered and the end result is a notchy transmission that feels like it belongs in a sports car. Which it is in - the Supra/Z4 ride on a dedicated sports car platform.

Dismissing the Supra for simply being a BMW is the exact same thing as dismissing the CTR because it's a FWD Civic. Be better folks.

OP
OP
Cody FKH8R

Cody FKH8R

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Well McLaren has never put their own engines into an F1 car, so it's hard to get upset over that. They actually reached out to Honda first for that car, since it was a Honda motor in their F1 cars at the time but they refused.
I was referring to the f1 road car.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Disagree and most reviews of the car aren't stellar - you posted up here and wanted feedback or cheering you on, most agree the Supra is a letdown though it is a capable car overall. Honestly think it a massive step down for connected driving, utility, uniqueness, and engineering excellence after owning a Type R but we all have a different road to travel - good luck with yours.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was referring to the f1 road car.
Yes, I know. My point was there was a reason for it not being a McLaren designed engine. I don't really care about the Supra having BMW roots, at the end of the day it does very well for itself. But the situations aren't the same, as one is an economic thing so that the car is in the 50k range and not 70-80, and the other was because McLaren wanted to have an engine that was designed by a race winning company.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Meh. I still think the bmw supra is a nice car. drives well for a dd.

honestly i spend a little more and get a fl5. 🤭

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW
Country flag
The Supra has grown on me, but I noticed a couple of things when I rode in it. The wind buffeting was real bad. I like to drive with my windows down often so that was immediately noticeable and something that would be a pain in the ass(No idea if this has been fixed in newer MY). Terrible vision up front due to hood. Although the seat is comfortable, it did feel a bit bulky. I'm also 6'2 so someone shorter may have a better experience, but performance wise it was a hell of an experience.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
gonna be hard to find someone willing to pay 60k for a modified ctr. your better off parting it out and selling the car stock.

OP
OP
Cody FKH8R

Cody FKH8R

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
gonna be hard to find someone willing to pay 60k for a modified ctr. your better off parting it out and selling the car stock.
Like I said, it’s only fbo at the moment, with everything else brand new in box. It would be a good package deal for someone who doesn’t want to pay taxes and shipping for all the parts.

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Dismissing the Supra for simply being a BMW is the exact same thing as dismissing the CTR because it's a FWD Civic. Be better folks.
The CTR has always been FWD. Hasn't deviated. What you should have quoted: "dismissing the CTR because they put an EcoBoost in it." I never really like when car manufacturers pass a car along when it's "core" is actually something else. Remember back about the Starion/Conquest TSI. Now you have BRZ/86(Subaru), new Supra/Z4(BMW) and so on. I guess it's some sort of "back room" agreement that some manufacturers have to partner with others? I don't know. Just my 2cents.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Like I said, it’s only fbo at the moment, with everything else brand new in box. It would be a good package deal for someone who doesn’t want to pay taxes and shipping for all the parts.
i understand that and its even more of a reason to part it out cause its not hard to put back.
trying to sell it as a package deal is great and all but your basically limiting your potential buyers by trying to sell it as a whole.

finding someone who is willing to drop 60k is not going to be easy.
Sponsored