Does this workaround work for you?

• Total voters

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I feel like there may be a (not so great) solution here.

Others are reporting that getting a new iPhone is solving many of the problems they had with CarPlay while others are reporting erasing their iPhone has solved their problems. The common thread here is that in both cases the integrity of "your" iPhone is likely a lot "cleaner" than mine (and others) iPhone.

I too have been kicking around the idea of blowing away my iPhone 6+ and restarting from scratch without using a backup to restore it but just haven't had the time or desire to really do that. But I might take the plunge anyway and see what happens. If nothing else, I can clean house and get rid of some apps that I never use or inexplicably installed.

Bigger question is - assuming erasing my iPhone makes things better, is there something I might re-install that will break it again? For example, one thing that we all may or may not have in common that could certainly cause some problems is the HondaLink app. I know it isn't required but I wonder how many of us actually have it installed and if you do not have it installed do things work better? I guess as a quick test I could delete it and see what happens. That would certainly be easier than erasing my iPhone.

Frustrating for sure.

FYI...I am in the camp where CarPlay works for about two minutes and then displays "No Device Connected" and the only way to resolve it is to restart my iPhone completely. I also see the "Not Compatible" message when I leave my iPhone connected after turning off the car but I typically don't do that anyway. However, for the most part, playing music via Bluetooth works fine in my 2016 Touring where others have reported problems.

RC
Sponsored

NewCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
iOS 10.1 beta 1 was known to have CarPlay issues. These have been resolved in Beta 2 per the changelog. Beta 3 was released today, I'm updating now, I'll let you guys know if there are any issues, but mine was working flawlessly on beta 2. (iPhone 6s)

OP
OP

FusionTurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Yep, got Beta 3 and so far so good. Enable Always is now finally working reliably.

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I too have been kicking around the idea of blowing away my iPhone 6+ and restarting from scratch without using a backup to restore it but just haven't had the time or desire to really do that. But I might take the plunge anyway and see what happens. If nothing else, I can clean house and get rid of some apps that I never use or inexplicably installed.

Bigger question is - assuming erasing my iPhone makes things better, is there something I might re-install that will break it again? For example, one thing that we all may or may not have in common that could certainly cause some problems is the HondaLink app. I know it isn't required but I wonder how many of us actually have it installed and if you do not have it installed do things work better? I guess as a quick test I could delete it and see what happens. That would certainly be easier than erasing my iPhone.

Frustrating for sure.
I am encouraged that 10.1 beta 3 might resolve some of these issues. I only have easy access to the Public Preview myself - it would be a little harder for me to get in on the Developer Preview but I could.

I am responding to my own post with some updates.
  • I did end up restoring my iPhone - it didn't help. CarPlay still crashed after about 2 minutes with a clean re-install and no apps installed.

One interesting observation I did have, but it wasn't consistent, was that if I left the CarPlay UI on the "home screen" (with all the icons) that CarPlay seemed to work (i.e. - did not crash) but when I switched to either Music or Maps (the only two I tried), that would start the "2 minute clock" and it would crash soon after. But after some additional experiments I am pretty sure that I got it to crash on the home screen too. :-(

• The HondaLink app wasn't the problem, nor was any other 3rd Party CarPlay compatible app.
RC

BIGPimpSATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had the same problem....when i upgrade to 10. I downgraded to 9.3.5 and started from scratch. I didt restore from back up or anything and everything is working flawlessly.
How do you downgrade the iOS?
Links would be helpful, if possible.

Where can I get my hands on the Beta builds?
Also, links please.

midiman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
How do you downgrade the iOS?
Links would be helpful, if possible.

Where can I get my hands on the Beta builds?
Also, links please.
You can sign up for the beta program at beta.apple.com. There are instructions on how to install it. FWIW, I am cautiously optimistic, as Public Beta 3 has made the "no device connected" issue go away for me - (fingers crossed)

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
You can sign up for the beta program at beta.apple.com. There are instructions on how to install it. FWIW, I am cautiously optimistic, as Public Beta 3 has made the "no device connected" issue go away for me - (fingers crossed)
Grrrrr....

I installed 10.1 Beta 4 yesterday and had an incident free drive home last night. So I was encouraged.

But this morning I plugged my iPhone 6+ in and within two minutes of listening to music the dreaded "No Device Connected" was back. I was able to recover somewhat quickly by starting to shutdown my iPhone but then pressing the home button instead of the "slide to power off" to "clear the RAM." This usually does not work but this morning it did.

In any event, at least for me, 10.1 Beta 4 does not appear to be the answer. And, at least for me, I am less optimistic now that the shipping version of 10.1, whenever it comes out, is going to resolve this for me.

RC

OP
OP

FusionTurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
@ResortCasual, have you tried plug it in after you see the "No Device Connected" message? That seems to make a difference for me (iOS 10.1, Beta 3), at least so far.

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
@ResortCasual, have you tried plug it in after you see the "No Device Connected" message? That seems to make a difference for me (iOS 10.1, Beta 3), at least so far.
Not quite sure I follow you.

I typically see this message after about two minutes of using CarPlay. Unplugging and replugging typically gets me another two minutes before it "crashes" again. Although truth be told I have not tried to unplug it and re-plug it back in immediately since upgrading to IOS 10.1 Beta 4.

I also have not tried to do anything if I start the car (in the morning for example) after using CarPlay previously and getting the "No Device Connected" message (which makes sense since there isn't a device connected) AND THEN plugging in my iPhone and seeing what happens. But I have also only been using 10.1 Beta 4 since yesterday so I have a small sample size. I will try that in the next day or so also.

RC

orangecrush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
What worked for me was getting a new phone. Not that it's an acceptable solution for anyone, or that it works for everyone. I think I'm just lucky.
I had a 6s with ios9 when I bought my ex-l, and carplay worked great. When I upgraded the phone to ios10 the carplay went to shit. It just so happened my upgrade was due so I picked up a 7 a few weeks ago, and I haven't had a problem since, its working as well now as it was with my 6s on ios9.
I was starting to contemplate this solution too. I bought an iPhone SE last July, got my Civic EX-T earlier this month, and my iPhone has never been so incapacitated. I was wondering if the purchase of a new 7 would take care of the iOS-to-Hands Free Link (because not only does CarPlay not work at all, but anything Bluetooth makes the phone completely lose its s***) and you seem to have answered this question! Thank you!

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I was starting to contemplate this solution too. I bought an iPhone SE last July, got my Civic EX-T earlier this month, and my iPhone has never been so incapacitated. I was wondering if the purchase of a new 7 would take care of the iOS-to-Hands Free Link (because not only does CarPlay not work at all, but anything Bluetooth makes the phone completely lose its s***) and you seem to have answered this question! Thank you!
So... for those who are following this, and other iOS 10 compatibility threads...

Who is using an iPhone 7 and not having any problems? Seems to me we only have one member stating that thus far. Would be interesting to hear from other iPhone 7 users as well as anyone else not having problems and what model iPhone they have.

Or, for those who are having problems, like myself, what iPhone are you using? I am using a 6+.

I am long overdue for an upgrade so if I knew for sure that all my CarPlay issues would go away with an iPhone 7+ then I'd probably upgrade. I feel like I have read elsewhere on the internet that 7 users are having problems too.

RC

mjones5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Pilot, 2004 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda Civic
I saw a post on an Apple forum where someone says to go into your phone and "forget this car" and you basically delete your car from your phone and then start completely over. I will try to find that. But I have not updated to IOS 10 anything yet so I can not say I have tried this or that it works.

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
iOS 10.1 Beta 5 was released today for Developers. As of now us Public Beta folks are stuck on Beta 4.

EDIT: Seems to only be for iPhone 7 users

RC
Sponsored

Last edited: