Possible to Pass PA emissions with K-Tuner?

therealdede

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Sedan, Modern Steel Metallic
Country flag
Those of you in PA that have gone catless DP with K-tuner, when having the car OBD tested for emissions, does the machine give you any trouble? I was poking through the base maps in ktuner, and by default it disables all of the monitors except for the misfire monitor. As far as im aware, whenever an emissions test is performed using the machines in PA, the machine just checks for a set monitor. Does disabling the monitor in K-tuner set it as far as emissions is concerned? If not, there doesn't seem to be a way to re-enable the monitors( you can have up to one monitor not set to pass emissions in PA, as well as no CEL). I know you can disable DTC's, and when the next batch of PRL downpipes start shipping, I'll reflash it to disable any cat/o2 codes.

Currently i just have the base BASE map flashed on the car, no extra boost or anything fancy, just want rev hang disabled for now. I have plenty of time, and the guy doing my emissions test (wink wink nudge nudge) is blind to modifications. As long as the machine says it's good and I can get a sticker that's all i care about .

Edit: plugged it up to the emissions machine and it passed with flying colors.
Sponsored

Last edited:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
What I can tell you is that in California if you are CATless, you will never pass emissions. They do a visual inspection, and if you disabled any CEL they would know. If you just have a Ktuner basemap installed and you disabled rev hang than you would not pass emissions here. Having the basemap installed with rev hang enabled should not affect emissions. If PA is as strict as California (which I have heard they are more strict) than you wouldn't pass just by being catless

OP
OP

therealdede

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What I can tell you is that in California if you are CATless, you will never pass emissions. They do a visual inspection, and if you disabled any CEL they would know. If you just have a Ktuner basemap installed and you disabled rev hang than you would not pass emissions here. Having the basemap installed with rev hang enabled should not affect emissions. If PA is as strict as California (which I have heard they are more strict) than you wouldn't pass just by being catless

PA emissions laws and regulations are based on CARB regulations. I know it prob won't pass a visual, but i know a guy (wink) that'll get it done as long as the machine says the readiness monitors are ok.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
PA emissions laws and regulations are based on CARB regulations. I know it prob won't pass a visual, but i know a guy (wink) that'll get it done as long as the machine says the readiness monitors are ok.
Well, I guess your going to find out. With CEL disables here in CA the machines probably would see them

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
You'll pass just fine with regards to the codes being disabled. My WRX passed for years with some codes being disabled. As long as the readiness monitors are set, there's no machine that I'm aware of that can tell that a code has been disabled.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I'm pretty sure you'll be fine as long as the readiness codes are good. Unless you run into a jerk who doesn't want your business anymore lol

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
K-Tuner is strictly off road use only and not legal. I don't thing it will pass as some codes will be disabled and readiness monitor will not be ready. Just flash stock tune get it check and flash back

Edit: Just read that you are running catless exhaust. I don't think it will pass

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I don't thing it will pass as some codes will be disabled and readiness monitor will not be ready. Just flash stock tune get it check and flash back

Edit: Just read that you are running catless exhaust. I don't think it will pass
This is not true. The whole point of disabling the codes is so that the ECU doesn't trigger them in the event of a fault and allow the readiness monitors to be enabled. Obviously OP won't pass the visual, but as he already stated, he has a guy for that.

SKOOK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe Sport 6MT 2.0L, 2018 Civic Sedan LX CVT 2.0L, 1998 EJ8 Civic Coupe, 1993 EJ1 Civic Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's amazing just how different the laws are county to county here in PA. In my county, emissions testing is not required at all. It is simply just a visual inspection. I have passed for years running catless while at the same time, failing for things like a small sticker on the windshield. It really just comes down to who is doing the inspection. I know that multiple people have had success passing the emissions testing by just simply disabling the codes. It's always a good idea to have a guy on the inside. Best of luck to you!

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's amazing just how different the laws are county to county here in PA. In my county, emissions testing is not required at all. It is simply just a visual inspection. I have passed for years running catless while at the same time, failing for things like a small sticker on the windshield. It really just comes down to who is doing the inspection. I know that multiple people have had success passing the emissions testing by just simply disabling the codes. It's always a good idea to have a guy on the inside. Best of luck to you!
Here in Bucks County, it looks like they pull out all the stops. I remember my old RAV4 didn’t pass because the o2 sensor on the catalytic converter was bad and throwing up a code.

I looked up a county map and saw that Bucks is probably one of the most stringent counties to do emissions testing in the state

SKOOK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe Sport 6MT 2.0L, 2018 Civic Sedan LX CVT 2.0L, 1998 EJ8 Civic Coupe, 1993 EJ1 Civic Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here in Bucks County, it looks like they pull out all the stops. I remember my old RAV4 didn’t pass because the o2 sensor on the catalytic converter was bad and throwing up a code.

I looked up a county map and saw that Bucks is probably one of the most stringent counties to do emissions testing in the state
Oh man...that is so sad to hear. This is why I am wishing OP good luck! I know how difficult it can be to get certain things to pass. I'm thankful for the lawless emissions wasteland that is Schuylkill County haha.

OP
OP

therealdede

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is not true. The whole point of disabling the codes is so that the ECU doesn't trigger them in the event of a fault and allow the readiness monitors to be enabled. Obviously OP won't pass the visual, but as he already stated, he has a guy for that.
Having a license does have its perks ;)

OP
OP

therealdede

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh man...that is so sad to hear. This is why I am wishing OP good luck! I know how difficult it can be to get certain things to pass. I'm thankful for the lawless emissions wasteland that is Schuylkill County haha.
gotta love that 42 county! lebanon sucks...

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
gotta love that 42 county! lebanon sucks...
Lebanon eh? I've probably seen you around if you are ever around the Palmyra/Annville area.

OP
OP

therealdede

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Lebanon eh? I've probably seen you around if you are ever around the Palmyra/Annville area.
I think I’ve seen your car a few times, I’ve always seen it turning right onto 422 in palmyra towards Hershey. Honk if you see a grey 2020 sedan, it’s me lol
Sponsored