Possible reuse Honda amp for Touring/SI/R Premium system?

SiR_91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 SiR, 2018 Si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Be careful with these after market radios. I have had one and installed 3 for other people. They tend to go bad rather quickly. They start off ok and then the sd card inside corrupts so easily.
Sponsored

OP
OP

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Be careful with these after market radios. I have had one and installed 3 for other people. They tend to go bad rather quickly. They start off ok and then the sd card inside corrupts so easily.
Would it make sense to clone and replace the SD card in it with a better brand (I.e. Kingston)? Or is it integrated?

SiR_91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 SiR, 2018 Si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You could try that. I honestly don't know if it will work. I don't know where they os sd card is in this particular radio. But you can always give it a shot.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
The mystery blue connector should be the LVDS Connector. A video connection. Bottom 3rd from the left in the back of the HU connects with the blue connector in the LCD panel. Looks like they're just taking the video signal from the OEM HU and displays it on their LCD panel. They should also have a connector for the grey one, in the OEM LCD panel, to the left of the blue LVDS connector as well to provide the touch interface.

So that gives all the OEM vehicle setting functions, but I don't see how they can feed audio into the OEM HU since there's no audio input of any kind on the OEM HU? The only two ways I can think of are: BT or the tuner SPDIF. If they use BT, then it's ok I guess, not the greatest. But if they use the tuner SPIDF, then that would really sound suck because you then have to fake tune into a FM channel or something and the OEM HU will apply a crappy eq to the sound.

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible reuse Honda amp for Touring/SI/R Premium system? 1619896822752

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible reuse Honda amp for Touring/SI/R Premium system? 1619896878171

Last edited:
OP
OP

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
That's interesting. From what I understand on our decks specifically, the crappy eq actually comes from within the amp vs the head unit. I don't hate the sound but I'm also 40+ and the hearing isn't what it used to be anyway so the base setup with the JL microsub sub sounds fine to me.

It'll certainly be interesting to see what they say about the audio connection. Seeing as they haven't said anything about it, I think it's being ran from the old head unit.

OP
OP

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
VikNav got back to me and finally confirmed "our engineer replied me our cd host doesn’t this E connector". So it looks like our setups are not going to be an easy replacement. Going to hold out a bit longer for one other vendor, but may just have to go the external amp route.

OP
OP

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Whole I still wait for one vendor to get back from vacation (more for the 9" display than anything), I will say that VikNav on Aliexpress have been one of the better vendors to work with me. While it won't work with the Honda amp, the lower trims would likely see a benefit to using the Telsa style assuming the memory chips hold up.

OP
OP

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
So, the other vendor I was working with also confirmed (without saying it) that their system will not work as well.

It's really too bad there are no options (adapter, replacement amp or deck) that would make things easier without having to run a new amp wire to help keep costs down and without dramatically changing the config of the oem wiring.

Sad to say it, but there are no available options (that are public anyway) that give us the ability to change the deck only. It looking like at bare minimum to replace the factory deck we'll all need to replace both the deck and amp at a minimum.

Last edited:

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Sad to say it, but there are no available options (that are public anyway) that give us the ability to change the deck only. It looking like at bare minimum to replace the factory deck we'll all need to replace both the deck and amp at a minimum.
Good work on researching that so thoroughly. I'm not too surprised that that's what you ultimately found. Since the majority of Civics don't have a factory amp, I think the number of people out there who would be willing to pay for such an item are too low to justify the cost of developing it.

OP
OP

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I think as those of us with these setups start having failing decks, there will be larger push for aftermarket suppliers to work on it.

I've given up on holding out an am now looking at amp/deck replacements with 6/8 channels in mind since I already have a sub. Brake assist will be my only want to keep from a new deck, and that'll be a whole other venture once I get there.
Sponsored