Possible reuse Honda amp for Touring/SI/R Premium system?

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Been wanting to change my stereo for a while but don't really want to also purchase a new amp and run more power etc for it right now. Came across this and wondering if it's the missing SPDIF2 connection needed to reuse the factory amp.

And yes, I know a separate amp would probably do it, but not looking to upgrade my stereo + amp + run a new 4 gauge wire for a new amp as well as the one in the trunk I have for the external sub. Thoughts?

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item-180641-Axxess-AXDSPX-HN3.html

Or is there ANYTHING out there that'll retain the amp known out there?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Reached out to them on this unit and the answer is a no. Was really hoping to avoid a new 8 channel amp for my Touring to go with all the new speakers in order to use a new deck, but looking like that is the solve :-(

OP
OP

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
There is a new model Stereo by Viknav that makes the tesla style decks that may have a solve for the built in amp which they claim will do it via chat, but I feel that they may just be saying that to make a sale (After all, it is aliexpress). If it is true however, others may be able to follow soon. Until it's tested though, too expensive to have to ship back if it's garbage like the previous model. Unfortunately, translator tools don't really help when shopping but they do also specify amp.

Not a fan of the dual dials, but if they control heat, not far off from where we are today.

I've also asked for the install manual/video to see what it says and watch for a connector to the amp. Still cheaper then the Honda replacement if it works.

Edit note: There are a few that look the same, only this one says it supports the amp.

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible reuse Honda amp for Touring/SI/R Premium system? Screenshot_20210422-192307_AliExpress

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible reuse Honda amp for Touring/SI/R Premium system? Screenshot_20210422-192316_AliExpress

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible reuse Honda amp for Touring/SI/R Premium system? Screenshot_20210422-192322_AliExpress

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible reuse Honda amp for Touring/SI/R Premium system? Screenshot_20210422-192347_AliExpress

OP
OP

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Same type of deck with another vendor (or with that aliexpress place, may just be another name for the same vendor). But could they have finally taken the RS485 to make it work with the OEM amp? I'm skeptical but have seen a few now. I'd just prefer the 9" vs the Tesla monstrosity.

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible reuse Honda amp for Touring/SI/R Premium system? Screenshot_20210424-182403_AliExpress

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible reuse Honda amp for Touring/SI/R Premium system? Screenshot_20210424-182350_AliExpress

Last edited:
OP
OP

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
So, I've been looking into the 9" and been back and forth with a few vendors on Aliexpress, and it seems that there may be a new solution as well for the amp versions of the systems in a 9" deck as well now which should support the 10, 11 and 12 speaker packages. Trying to get confirmation but if it looks good I'll buy and test.

OP
OP

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Certainly sounds like it may now be solved and I would be so happy if it is. Still looking to see the 'adapter' as I'm concerned it's SPDIF only.

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible reuse Honda amp for Touring/SI/R Premium system? Screenshot_20210427-065810_AliExpress

OP
OP

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
So, for anyone following this to check on a working deck that will work with the existing oem amp setup on the 10+ speaker packages, there still isn't any definitive answer if this exists for the 9" stereo model yet.

It does appear that at least two brands *might* work with the tesla style dual knob, but I'm not interested in them enough to buy to test.

Still waiting on a few vendors to answer me back, but many are backpeddling when I ask for proof.

OP
OP

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Looks like back to square one. Really tempted to try the Tesla style deck now ...

I've sent them a picture if what it looks like, but I'm not optimistic there is a solution at this point, even in the Tesla style.

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible reuse Honda amp for Touring/SI/R Premium system? Screenshot_20210429-122438_AliExpress

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
It actually looks like it might be a fit? I'm wondering if he sent you a mirrored image like taken with the front camera? If you look at the mirrored image below and line up the red arrow, then it looks like it could fit? Send them pics of your HU and ask them. Make sure you ask them carefully because we all know how ambiguous Chinese tech support can get.

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible reuse Honda amp for Touring/SI/R Premium system? 1619752158815

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible reuse Honda amp for Touring/SI/R Premium system? 1619752217463

OP
OP

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Notice 2 spdif on the deck vs 1 on the adapter? Wouldn't work :)

I am still working with them (or more specifically via them to engineers), so we'll see what comes of it :)

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Notice 2 spdif on the deck vs 1 on the adapter? Wouldn't work :)

I am still working with them (or more specifically via them to engineers), so we'll see what comes of it :)
The one on the right is not used. No connection to the amp.

OP
OP

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Still looks like their adapter has the connector right in the middle vs the offset on our decks even if only one is used, and to me, it also looks like the plastic alignment wouldn't match. I also can't confirm if they have the rs485 signal for volume/mute control and that is going to be a bigger translation nightmare.

Good news is they seem eager to help, so this is better than just a no it's not supported.

On a side note, they seemed to be surprised when I sent them a picture of my amp connections, so their adapter may be based on gen 9 or something native to China.

Last edited:
OP
OP

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
For anyone following me on this hunt for Reusing the factory amp with a new deck, this is the latest. I'm not giving up!

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible reuse Honda amp for Touring/SI/R Premium system? Screenshot_20210501-093205_AliExpress

OP
OP

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Okay, more news and still waiting on confirmation from one vendor in particular, but here is some additional info that another sent me. It raises some additional questions and I think unless I pick up one of these units to test, I may not have a direct answer.

This latest seems a bit interesting from this one particular vendor. Based on what I'm reading, this one version dual knob tesla style deck may use the existing deck possibly behind it to use the existing functions of the deck and piggy backing on it to function. I suspect that the LCD panel on the oem deck must be removed for that to work, but perhaps I'm misinterpreting what they're trying to explain (I really wish I had a direction communication connection to these engineers).

If it is using the existing deck to make the connections, it raises way more questions for me and I would likely not do this type of connection. Firstly, I have no faith in the processing of the original deck, even for audio passthrough. I'm also replacing the oem deck in order to get away from the random reboots etc, so I'm concerned that those issues will still be there if that is how this particular connection works. But perhaps it would work. I mean, I can't find a schematic of the Navigation connections that explain what this blue connection does and the only thing that makes sense is android mirroring. Thoughts anyone? I mean, most of these guys are smart so perhaps they just cloned the existing system and built on it.

I am still waiting to see more from that other vendor that we can connect directly to that existing "E"connection with the SPDIF, but my real concern is I want to retain volume control that may be missing unless they can explain the RS485 signal.

Here's the info from this 'piggyback' vendor. I'll point out that I'm likely annoying them at this point, but I don't care. it's an expensive purchase and sending it back will cost a good amount as well so I need to be sure. I'm also fairly confident that if I find something that works, at least a few of your would go this route with me vs going with an additional amp etc so it's a win/win for everyone for whichever company can provide the best solution that retains the amp.

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible reuse Honda amp for Touring/SI/R Premium system? Screenshot_20210501-101220_AliExpress

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible reuse Honda amp for Touring/SI/R Premium system? Screenshot_20210501-104329_AliExpress

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible reuse Honda amp for Touring/SI/R Premium system? Screenshot_20210501-105330_Gallery

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible reuse Honda amp for Touring/SI/R Premium system? Screenshot_20210501-105344_Gallery

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible reuse Honda amp for Touring/SI/R Premium system? Screenshot_20210501-105357_Gallery

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible reuse Honda amp for Touring/SI/R Premium system? Screenshot_20210501-105407_Gallery

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible reuse Honda amp for Touring/SI/R Premium system? Screenshot_20210501-105415_Gallery

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible reuse Honda amp for Touring/SI/R Premium system? Screenshot_20210501-105424_Gallery

Honda Civic 10th gen Possible reuse Honda amp for Touring/SI/R Premium system? Screenshot_20210501-110206_AliExpress

Last edited: