possible minor 2017 model changes

Diversion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You do realize that's the whole point of a refresh right?... To make you want to trade in and pay them money again?...
It's part of it but I doubt they make a ton of sales on people trading up.. I think more so the point is that why make the same exact car for 4-5 years with no changes.. Every maker face lifts their car mid cycle but if it's just bumpers like old school Honda I won't any desire to upgrade. Part of me just wanted to wait for the facelift before buying into it but we shall see how this plays out in a few years.
Sponsored

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
It's part of it but I doubt they make a ton of sales on people trading up..
I bought a 2012 Si coupe with very little hesitation to get out of my 2010 EX-L navi, which wasn't right for me.

Let me tell you- I traded that car in just over a year and some odd days later. The 2012 was legitimately a slap in the face to consumers and I still cringe every time I see one of those sedans rolling down the street. The refresh for 13 was what that car should've been all along.

I really doubt they'll be doing too many refreshes for this car...just little updates (colors, trims, various minor features, tailights) before the mid model refresh.

This car is beyond competitive as it is. It won't take much to keep it that way for the next few years. I feel pretty confident about that.

But I do predict the volume knob coming back. It should've never left. It still drives me bat**** crazy.

reversals

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
But I do predict the volume knob coming back. It should've never left. It still drives me bat**** crazy.
As much as I hate not having a knob, I really doubt they'll go back. If my memory serves me right, most of Honda's top selling models have been using this volume system for at least 2-3 years. The tap and swipe system is a great example of over-designing and solving a problem that didn't exist.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
As much as I hate not having a knob, I really doubt they'll go back. If my memory serves me right, most of Honda's top selling models have been using this volume system for at least 2-3 years. The tap and swipe system is a great example of over-designing and solving a problem that didn't exist.
I read somewhere that whispers were saying they were adding it back. I mean, it's the Internet, so I always take things with a grain of salt. I'm fine with all the other screen features, but the volume and tuning knob removals were a step too far. Like you said, fixing a problem that's not there.

No one that gets in my car knows where to even start with the radio or HVAC haha.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
The tap and swipe system is a great example of over-designing and solving a problem that didn't exist.
It's certainly less expensive to produce and more reliable. Whether it's worth the hate they get from so many customers is a different question. Regardless, I doubt the knob is coming back anytime soon.

I've been watching how we use the volume knob in our CR-V since we put a deposit on the Civic back after the first of the year. I'm pretty confident its omission won't be a source of unhappiness for us. But I certainly understand why some people aren't happy with it.

I'm much more concerned about the bug infestation of the infotainment. It doesn't sound nearly as bad as our '12 Focus MyFord Touch. But still pretty buggy.

reversals

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Tell me about it. My girlfriend kept turning the temperature control when her favorite song came on LOL

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Tell me about it. My girlfriend kept turning the temperature control when her favorite song came on LOL
Friend of mine stared for awhile. Started saying something and then stopped mid sentence. Then put his entire had on the screen.

Asked him what he was doing and he goes "I have no idea how to work this so I hoped, on some level, this might get me somewhere."

(It was the XM screen, which is super cluttered)

whaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L, Black w/ Ivory interior
Country flag
Fantasy feature: the ability to jam my own android tablet or ipad into the dashboard, rather than the $25 piece of garbage we're stuck with. Seriously, that thing makes a kindle fire look like a supercomputer.

LennyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic EX Coupe, '04 Mazdaspeed Miata
The new Civic didn't get a particularly high rating from Consumer Reports, and Honda pays attention to CR because it influences sales, at least in this segment. The three things that CR bashed the '16 Civic for were (1) the complex, annoying, knob- and button-less sound system on all trims except the LX, (2) the lack of decent lumbar support (and no models with adjustable lumbar support), and (3) the short seat cushions that made longer drives uncomfortable for medium-to-tall people except in the top trims where it was possible to tilt the seat bottoms.

I would expect to see all three of these (perceived) problems to be addressed in upcoming years' models well before items you and I might put on our wish lists.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
The new Civic didn't get a particularly high rating from Consumer Reports, and Honda pays attention to CR because it influences sales, at least in this segment. The three things that CR bashed the '16 Civic for were (1) the complex, annoying, knob- and button-less sound system on all trims except the LX, (2) the lack of decent lumbar support (and no models with adjustable lumbar support), and (3) the short seat cushions that made longer drives uncomfortable for medium-to-tall people except in the top trims where it was possible to tilt the seat bottoms.

I would expect to see all three of these (perceived) problems to be addressed in upcoming years' models well before items you and I might put on our wish lists.
I think you're on to something. And all three of these things are cheap (comparatively), easy fixes for Honda to do. I've yet to see one review not utterly decimate Honda for removing the volume knob. Frankly, less is not always more. The Accord has too MANY buttons, but most of other line up does not. There is a happy medium somewhere.

I honestly find the lack of a volume or tuning knob absolutely frustrating (and dangerous). The amount of reliance you have to have on a touch screen while driving is very troubling to me. I know most can done through the steering wheel but it took me at least 30 minutes of playing in park before I knew how to do even a little on the touch screen haha.

But honestly, with CR- they've gotta nit pick something. Look at what the civic was 4 years ago. Put a fully loaded 2012 EX-L next to a 2013 (or even better, a 2016) and you'll wonder how they sold the 2012 at all. I blindly bought one and dumped it after a year. My dealer said they couldn't keep up with all the 2012 trade in. The only step backward on the 2016 I think is the base models speedometer and tachometer. Say what you will about the dual tier of the last gen, but it looked way better to me then the outdated looking one in lower trim levels for 2016. Just my personal preference. I feel the same way about Acura gauges.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm much more concerned about the bug infestation of the infotainment. It doesn't sound nearly as bad as our '12 Focus MyFord Touch. But still pretty buggy.
I think you'll love it. The biggest problem was the no audio issue, but your touring was built far after that was resolved. I got my amp replaced, and since then, I haven't had any major complaints with the infotainment. Granted, there are some minor annoyances (HondaLink doesn't always connect, right turn camera interrupts Apple CarPlay in the middle of a message, etc). But that's really all they are: minor. Overall, it's a very good system ... for an Android ;) (I prefer iOS).

Btw, I also monitored my use of the volume knob during the last few weeks before I sold my Accord, and found that 95% of the time, I was using the volume control on the steering wheel. The volume control on the Civic Touring steering wheel can be used by either swiping up and down (for large volume changes), or by pressing down at the top or bottom end of the button (for more precise volume changes). I rarely use the touchscreen.
Sponsored