possible minor 2017 model changes

elgage44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, Mazda CX-3
Already decided the Civic is my next car. However, I was thinking what might make the Civic a better car, for me at least.
I can think of two things: if it had blind spot monitor and rear cross traffic alert vs. just the camera on the passenger side. Blind spot and cross traffic alerts have been the most useful sensors, ever.
Secondly, if they added a homelink enabled rear view mirror option.
I honestly don't understand why Honda decided not to have these features...
So question is, for current owners, is the passenger camera system useful or comparable to a simple blind sport monitor/yellow alert light?
Perhaps Honda will add these features in 2017. I have already sent a not to corporate :)
Sponsored

j_illang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring
Already decided the Civic is my next car. However, I was thinking what might make the Civic a better car, for me at least.
I can think of two things: if it had blind spot monitor and rear cross traffic alert vs. just the camera on the passenger side. Blind spot and cross traffic alerts have been the most useful sensors, ever.
So question is, for current owners, is the passenger camera system useful or comparable to a simple blind sport monitor/yellow alert light?
Perhaps Honda will add these features in 2017. I have already sent a not to corporate :)
I still check my blindspot. I think what will be useful is a full moonroof rather than calling a simple sunroof a moonroof.

Also interior white LED's rather than yellow lights would be good.

Lastly, integrating the double exhaust into the rear bumper, rather than hiding it under. But that's a touchy subject.

Ikabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Accord Touring
Country flag
I agree with the OP's choices above. I would think a trunk lock and glove compartment lock must be included.

Last edited:

johnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic, 15 pilot, 13 insight, 12 fit, plus 15 gone but not forgotten
Your list of wants is good, but do not expect them in a civic anytime soon.
Only 1 Honda has the cross traffic alert, the Elite Pilot, a $47,000 vehicle.
The camera is very useful, I can see cars creeping up on my right side before any blind spot monitor would detect.
Homelink - just added to the EX accord. Has only been in EXL for years, or maybe the exl V6, not sure. But won't come to the inexpensive cousin.

I think the touring Accord might offer a cross traffic alert next year? maybe?

cjrcalica

Step Ahead.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-T
Vehicle Showcase
I find the camera useful, i mean it makes me feel more of a lazy driver just checking back up camera and now right side camera.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I think what will be useful is a full moonroof rather than calling a simple sunroof a moonroof.
What do you think the difference is? As I remember it, and Google confirms, moonroof was originally applied to exactly the design Honda has to this day as opposed to a metal panel that did not allow light to pass when closed.

OP
OP

elgage44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, Mazda CX-3
So Honda hasn't historically offered the blind spot/rear cross traffic alert system on many of their vehicles it seems...
One follow-up comment on Homelink. It'd be easy to just offer a Homelink-enabled rear view mirror as an optional accessory item.

I've learned of another deficiency on some other threads -- the Touring does not have an intermittent wiper setting, only the rain sensing mode which most seem to claim does not work all that well.

Anyhow, none of these things will change my purchase decision, still a great car!

Diversion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Coming from a 2013 fully loaded BMW 335i.. I could make a list of things the BMW had I wish the Civic had.. but the Civic has at least 90-95% of those features included now, a mighty departure from the basic 2015 models.

For example, I'm really missing my surround-view cameras on the BMW.. The down-side visible of all sides of your car is a game changer when it comes to parallel parking/parking in general. Never will have wheel curb issues with the surround view.

I also enjoyed the under-handle LED lights that shine down on all exterior door handles.. It's classy and provides a lot of ground light for safey/and or if you drop something at night and need to go looking for it (done this many times).

The back door panels do not have illuminated window switches on the Civic..

We need traditional blind spot monitoring with the yellow LED light in the mirrors..

Heated steering wheel.

Soft open glovebox with light

Illuminated interior door panels (for door handle, etc visibility).

Digital seat heater switches for the rear passengers (not physical toggle switches).. People tend to leave the physical toggles turned on and you could go months with your rear seats being heated in the summer for no good reason, lowering the life of the heater wiring in the seats.

Rear A/C cents would be nice but Honda probably would say the cabin isn't really large enough to benefit from them (like the Accord that has them).

Front and rear proximity sensors would be helpful, another layer of "you're getting too close to stuff".. The rear cam serves as a fine replacement to rear prox but front prox for pulling as close as you can do certain things is a must for me.

Interior compass/homelink (commonly mentioned, hoping to see a bolt-on replacement soon for us).

I'll add more features to this as I think of them.

If you take a late model Lexus, they typically have even more features over a BMW!

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
People tend to leave the physical toggles turned on and you could go months with your rear seats being heated in the summer for no good reason, lowering the life of the heater wiring in the seats.
Not to mention the fuel cost to provide all that current.

tgold106

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
Vehicle Showcase
My dealership left both rear seat heaters on and I didnt notice for several weeks. Why not have the heated seat controls for all seats up front like the rear defroster. The exhaust tips bumper integration may look great or a tad too much. Im on the fence with that. My car previous Mini CM had a theft deterent light on the steering column so it was noticeable from a distance. I liked that. Something I posted not too long ago is the addition of AWD to the Civic. In New England that would be a Subaru killer.

Negative3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
They need to ditch the rain sensing wipers and go back to intermittent, or at least offer it in addition to rain sensing. Fully loaded civic touring and I cant stand how the wipers work of all things...

Homelink garage opener would be a nice option and they definitely need to conceal the backup camera better as it gets dirty/blurry way to fast in a wet / winter climate... not that a compact sedan needs one in the first place imo but it may as well be less prone to getting dirty if it is there..... Either physical buttons for full climate control or a resistive touch screen (instead of capacitive) would also be nice - taking off your gloves while your driving just to adjust the fan setting, speed, etc. is ballz.

Diversion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My dealership left both rear seat heaters on and I didnt notice for several weeks. Why not have the heated seat controls for all seats up front like the rear defroster. The exhaust tips bumper integration may look great or a tad too much. Im on the fence with that. My car previous Mini CM had a theft deterent light on the steering column so it was noticeable from a distance. I liked that. Something I posted not too long ago is the addition of AWD to the Civic. In New England that would be a Subaru killer.
Same here, my dealer left both of my rear seat heaters turned on as well.. Luckily I discovered it the next day. I'm still unsure of why they went to a dual muffler design.. the tips are barely shown to the public.. I'm guessing this creates a quieter muffler and extra backpressure maybe but still unclear why.

Diversion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They need to ditch the rain sensing wipers and go back to intermittent, or at least offer it in addition to rain sensing. Fully loaded civic touring and I cant stand how the wipers work of all things...

Homelink garage opener would be a nice option and they definitely need to conceal the backup camera better as it gets dirty/blurry way to fast in a wet / winter climate... not that a compact sedan needs one in the first place imo but it may as well be less prone to getting dirty if it is there..... Either physical buttons for full climate control or a resistive touch screen (instead of capacitive) would also be nice - taking off your gloves while your driving just to adjust the fan setting, speed, etc. is ballz.
I agree - even the rain sensing on my BMW were completely useless.. I've personally never seen any car with great working rain sensing wipers.. Someone mentioned VW/Audi had a far better implementation of it but I have no personal experience.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm guessing this creates a quieter muffler and extra backpressure maybe but still unclear why
More likely less back pressure than extra. Also might have enabled better packaging underneath and/or better aero?
I agree - even the rain sensing on my BMW were completely useless.
I thought the rain sensing on both a 135i and a '12 Ford Focus worked well when used as a smarter alternative to constantly adjusting the intermittent interval in variable intermittent conditions. Did not try to use rain sensing in place of the other two positions when I would have used them instead of intermittent, or flick wipe, or putting them in auto and never having to touch them again. We'll see how I feel about the Civic implementation when our car wanders its way here from Alliston.

slgta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX with HS
Country flag
I agree - even the rain sensing on my BMW were completely useless.. I've personally never seen any car with great working rain sensing wipers.. Someone mentioned VW/Audi had a far better implementation of it but I have no personal experience.
My 2010 Mazda 3 has pretty good rain sensing wipers, it came as a standard feature on the Mid model.
I was so surprised to learn that I have to go to Touring to get that on a 2016 Civic. Not a big deal, but I thought most car would have that as a standard feature by now.... if it is a standard feature on a Mazda six years ago.
Sponsored