Possible knocking noise?

Cainho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fk8 type r
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pourquoi les autres font-ils du bruit et pas les autres ?
Sponsored

Altynmax

First Name
Maxim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I wonder if the noise is heat related. Its only after longer jaunts on the highway, etc.
My Sound is temperature related, only when motor is fully warmed up it becomes to be heard.

Last edited:

Horsta

First Name
Björn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type-R FK8
Country flag
Pourquoi les autres font-ils du bruit et pas les autres ?
Cainho did you ever get your car diagnosed at a shop? Did you also had this sound from the start?

What I noticed is that the sound was quieter with the OEM oil 0W20. After my first service the dealership put in 0W30 and i think it is a little bit louder than before. I think i will go back to the OEM 0W20 at my next oil change.

Altynmax

First Name
Maxim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I have visited another Honda dealer. They said it is normal mechanical noise, they did not hear any bad sounds and never heard it before. The motor is just noisy. In 2 weeks gonna go for control, they will listen to other fk8s.

bizlipkick

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type-R #44105
Country flag
Still have the same noise, a couple thousand miles later. Car runs great. My mechanic buddy thinks it has something to do with heat expansion and something outside the motor that’s causing the noise .

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
I would try to run a oil that has a lot of molybdenum or a high pao base stock to see if it quiets up. That should eliminate any mechanical noise in the engine if it actually is in engine. If it sounds the same i would look around the engine at the accessories or anything bolted to the engine.
My two pennies.

I should add. Liqui moly ceratec added to the oil is a quick way to diag. If you dont want a full oil change.

OP
OP
408Los

408Los

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
I would try to run a oil that has a lot of molybdenum or a high pao base stock to see if it quiets up. That should eliminate any mechanical noise in the engine if it actually is in engine. If it sounds the same i would look around the engine at the accessories or anything bolted to the engine.
My two pennies.

I should add. Liqui moly ceratec added to the oil is a quick way to diag. If you dont want a full oil change.
I'll try this out as the car is due for an Oil change and brakes lol. I'm at 26,xxx miles right now and the noise is still there with no driveability issues or any weird stuff going on. My cousin just bought a CTR so I'm going to go check his out and see if there is any difference in driving and what not.

Coupe86

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic sport coupe 2.0 NA
Country flag
Started to notice this noise on the car. Don’t know if it’s always been there or not since I mostly have the windows down and I can’t hear it then. Bought the car used back in Nov 2020 and have put 5k (bit over 20k miles on the clock) miles into it at this point. Has anyone else noticed this noise, is it normal to this engine?

I bought a 2020 Honda Civic sport coupe 2.0 non turbo with only 5,000 miles on it and from the beginning of the first day I have also heard a knocking sound. I can only hear it from inside the car. If I open up the door the sound almost goes away. once I get out to check under the hood I can't hear anything. then if I get back in the car and shut the door I can hear it again! Also if I start my car for the first time that day no matter what time of the day it is , for the first two or three minutes I can't hear anything but once it starts to warm up it starts to faintly knock again. Also, about three months ago I took my car in to the shop to have my spark plugs replaced and got a rental for the weekend. A 2021 Honda Civic sport sedan 2.0 non turbo. And guess what.... As soon as I started the car,nothing ,and then about 5 minutes as it started to warm up hear came the knocking noise!!! This rental was brand new 300 miles on it. I said all that to say the I think it might be just the way the honda cars sounds, or at least I hope so.

Coupe86

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic sport coupe 2.0 NA
Country flag
Started to notice this noise on the car. Don’t know if it’s always been there or not since I mostly have the windows down and I can’t hear it then. Bought the car used back in Nov 2020 and have put 5k (bit over 20k miles on the clock) miles into it at this point. Has anyone else noticed this noise, is it normal to this engine?

OP
OP
408Los

408Los

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
@Cainho No news. I drove my cousins FK8 and it drove and felt exactly the same as mine but no noise present. Didn’t notice any difference other than noise. I’ve yet to perform the oil change. I’ll be getting rid of the car in the next month as I just bought a house and need to free up some money unfortunately. I did run a Carfax on the vehicle and noticed the Honda dealership never reported the visit which I find weird but then I guess not all dealerships report to carfax

Wheats027

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R - Championship White
Country flag
I emailed Derek at IMW/TSP since he tunes FK8's all the time. I sent him a video and asked if he had any experience. He said he has heard FK8's with this sound before and one of them was torn down to discover a bent rod. Not enough to cause a compression change or a check engine light. The car still ran and drove fine. He believes it to be piston slap based off the observation.

This issue started happening to me recently after what I believe was an overrev situation.
The wierd thing there was that this was more like 4th gear lockout. The car did not go into gear, it pushed back into neutral, but it did rev high in the process. Looked like it filled out a full 8k on the tach and then just fell down from there as the car was in the neutral position.

Anyways, this is more about the aftermath. I have since done an oil change looking for any debri or metal flake, with none to be found. I did a spark plug change just to take a look at those, and they seem to be burning fine. Lastly I did a valve adjustment to the car. Some were a few thousandths too loose. I adjusted them, but the sound still remains. I also looked around for any obvious damage in the head (visual inspection, feeling the cam followers for excess play or something obvious) but all seemed good.

Wheats027

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R - Championship White
Country flag
Also,
How about any updated news from everyone over a year ago commenting that they have the same noise/issue? Many people on this post reported this and have just kept driving since. How is that going? Any updates?
Sponsored