xdecemberguy

First Name
Randrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
If your afraid that the motor is going to go...trade it in for a new one now.. Why not? It's better to lose one or two thousand now than eight to ten grand later. Get a newer CTR.

whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
Out of curiosity, do you have a ballpark for how high you think it over-revved on the miss shift?
Mustve been up around 9k. I was redlined third and missed 4th, went into 2nd and fully clutched out + gave gas (immediately clutched in but the shift was already done)

whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
If your afraid that the motor is going to go...trade it in for a new one now.. Why not? It's better to lose one or two thousand now than eight to ten grand later. Get a newer CTR.
Now it will be hard for OP to get rid of the car since honda has it on record// on a work order. Anyone can easily access service information and see a trip to the dealer for "knocking noise- vehicle over reved - warranty void"

Snmtazz70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500HP 2019 Honda Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Most used cars places don't even look at that and give you a check on the spot.
Add the Lucas low viscosity stabilizer as last resort, it does not void warranty, might quiet it down.
I've used it in other vehicles.

Last edited:

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
Now it will be hard for OP to get rid of the car since honda has it on record// on a work order. Anyone can easily access service information and see a trip to the dealer for "knocking noise- vehicle over reved - warranty void"
Thats what Sunday is for. Usually no one from service working.

whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
Maybe Canada its different. One of the first things they pull up when you check a car is a carfax report. In the report it shows any isurance claims, registration info and dealer work done on vehicle.

PM_TypeR

First Name
PM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Damn today I got a bad gear grind going from third to fourth but then my tach went up over redline, so I might have accidently gone into second. Is a valve adjustment pretty much recommended from a probable overrev? Or would the engine overrev if I let the clutch go out while on the synchro/ not exactly in gear? (i didn't see what gear I was in I just clutched out into neutral) Not sure if I have a similar knocking noise, I'm not sure what I'm looking to hear in the original video posted.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Damn today I got a bad gear grind going from third to fourth but then my tach went up over redline, so I might have accidently gone into second. Is a valve adjustment pretty much recommended from a probable overrev? Or would the engine overrev if I let the clutch go out while on the synchro/ not exactly in gear? (i didn't see what gear I was in I just clutched out into neutral) Not sure if I have a similar knocking noise, I'm not sure what I'm looking to hear in the original video posted.
If you didn't get a check engine light for overrev you're probably fine. You probably just activated rev match and never actually went into gear.

PM_TypeR

First Name
PM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you didn't get a check engine light for overrev you're probably fine. You probably just activated rev match and never actually went into gear.
Thanks for your reply. I didn't get an engine light but for a second the clutch was completely depressed, it was pretty scary it felt like hitting redline pretty hard. Anyways I guess I'll just be on the lookout for any weird sounds. I read in other posts that over rev might be a hidden code though?

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thanks for your reply. I didn't get an engine light but for a second the clutch was completely depressed, it was pretty scary it felt like hitting redline pretty hard. Anyways I guess I'll just be on the lookout for any weird sounds. I read in other posts that over rev might be a hidden code though?
You’re right, I forgot about that. A scan tool/Hondata would show it.

OP
OP
408Los

408Los

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
Yeah they told me they didn’t see any codes originally straight away until they used the Honda tool and it was able to dig the P0219 code with the high rev snapshot.

Also, the sound is actually still there I guess I just didn’t notice it at first. I’ve noticed no difference still on how the car drives or other noises while running and idling. Haven’t driven it more than 20 miles since I picked it up though since I daily my GTI.

PM_TypeR

First Name
PM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yeah they told me they didn’t see any codes originally straight away until they used the Honda tool and it was able to dig the P0219 code with the high rev snapshot.

Also, the sound is actually still there I guess I just didn’t notice it at first. I’ve noticed no difference still on how the car drives or other noises while running and idling. Haven’t driven it more than 20 miles since I picked it up though since I daily my GTI.
So after the adjustments you still get noise. What was their recommended plan of action? Just continue to use it since its maybe fine?

OP
OP
408Los

408Los

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
So after the adjustments you still get noise. What was their recommended plan of action? Just continue to use it since its maybe fine?
Yeah still got the noise. Their recommendation was to tear down the engine to see what’s wrong.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
see post #24 - any answers?

But, as noise is gone, you may have lucked out - do find out which valve was "loose" and by how much - and a leak-down (compression test) is suggested.
Sponsored

Last edited: