Popped my axle installing springs. Looking for a replacement.

SiMPLV

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota iM; 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
So I managed to break my axel last night while installing my lowering springs. Every time I drive it makes a weird popping noise and you can really feel it. I was wondering if anyone knew where to get the oem cv axle? I also have a pic of the part number. Driver side axle for the 2018 civic si coupe.

Honda Civic 10th gen Popped my axle installing springs. Looking for a replacement. C05E5271-1967-465C-A0BF-E6D226F05FA5
Sponsored

piterek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport Touring, 2010 Subaru Forester, 2015 Yamaha FJ-09
Country flag
Broke your axle how? It's a steel shaft... CV joints are the only moving parts on there... how would you brake those? Possible the spring or strut isn't seated right?

jbuttke1179

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Most likely you popped it out of the u-joint type assembly on the end of the shaft from pulling on the control arm or wheel bearing assembly. Don't drive it like that. Put the car back on jack stands and you should be able to rock the axle shaft left/right. While doing that try to rotate it slightly. You should feel a pop if you get it back in place. It's also possible you broke it free of the retaining ring at the transmission side. On jackstands take a look at the transmission side of the cv axle, it should be flush or very close to the transmission. If it's not the retaining ring is probably not snapped in. Push hard on the axle and it should pop it in Check out this video to see what I mean:

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree with jbuttke in that nothing is broken and you just dislodge the axle from the joint or something like that. I did the same thing many moons ago. I ended paying for a mobile mechanics to come out. He was there like 15 mins.

OP
OP

SiMPLV

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Most likely you popped it out of the u-joint type assembly on the end of the shaft from pulling on the control arm or wheel bearing assembly. Don't drive it like that. Put the car back on jack stands and you should be able to rock the axle shaft left/right. While doing that try to rotate it slightly. You should feel a pop if you get it back in place. It's also possible you broke it free of the retaining ring at the transmission side. On jackstands take a look at the transmission side of the cv axle, it should be flush or very close to the transmission. If it's not the retaining ring is probably not snapped in. Push hard on the axle and it should pop it in Check out this video to see what I mean:
Gonna go to a local mechanic to see if it's possible to pop it back in! thank you!

OP
OP

SiMPLV

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
update on the situation: the axle was fine. the noise seems to be coming from the strut itself..? we still haven't found out what's making the noise but the spring was pretty loose on the strut despite having tightened everything down. still lost on what to do.

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
update on the situation: the axle was fine. the noise seems to be coming from the strut itself..? we still haven't found out what's making the noise but the spring was pretty loose on the strut despite having tightened everything down. still lost on what to do.
dude it sounds like the spring wasnt seated properly. you may have to take it out again and reseat it.
Sponsored