CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
The light output for night driving is terrible on my Type R. Don't light up the road or signs at all and they seem to be aimed properly as far as I can tell. Just for reference my previous car an 2003 Acura CL had great HID lights. My current daily driver a 2014 Accord has good lights. The Type R seems inferior compared to those two.

There something wrong with my headlights? Any suggestions on options to try to have better lighting?

For fogs do you think the Morimoto LED fogs will fit and be brighter than stock? https://www.theretrofitsource.com/honda-round-morimoto-xb-led.html
Sponsored

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda's OEM LED headlights are garbage... I was sad to see them on the CTR.

Potmilkz is right, you're only option is to swap to a base model projector lamp and do a retrofit. However, I wouldn't say changing out the fogs will do nothing. The XB fogs have a pretty decent throw. Fog upgrade won't be like a retrofit, but it's an easy to do upgrade.

OP
OP

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
I’m baffled right now... luv mine
Can you take some photos of your output? Or course we would need the camera to have a set ISO settings to do a somewhat of a comparison.

Came across this video on youtube. Mine look nothing like this.

Last edited:

8409_CW

First Name
Kabir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 1992 Civic HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the high beams look really cool on small country roads in the dark. The way the lights hit the tops of the trees is really cool to me. :)

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can you take some photos of your output? Or course we would need the camera to have a set ISO settings to do a somewhat of a comparison.

Came across this video on youtube. Mine look nothing like this.
Dry roads and camera is auto-adjusting ISO. Cameras can make any headlight look good.

This is what my retrofit looks like on wet/foggy roads. Nothing tops a proper HID lamp/bulb combo.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The thing about headlight discussions is: Most people don't have a wide enough frame of reference.

Are the LED lights better than the halogen H11 lamps in the non-LED versions? Yes, absolutely.
Are the LEDs good when compared to top quality lamps? Not even close.

This side-by-side of my H11 lamps vs FX-R lamps really shows the difference. This is a 5500k 35w HID in the OEM lamp vs a 5500k 55w in my FX-R. The OEM lamp is still on in the FX-R picture, but the FX-R output is completely covering it. Also, my FX-R + Morimoto HIDs isn't the best you can get. I could get more output and coverage with some Osram bulbs and different ballast.
Honda Civic 10th gen Poor headlight output - Options? 243763272572
(I need to redo this test with my DSLR one of these days)

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
I wonder if there would be much improvement going to the OPT7 bulbs in the Type R versus the stock lights. http://www.opt-7.com/fluxbeam-x-led-headlights/

Swapping out the Lotus' HID light bulbs to the Fluxbeam Xs made a massive difference! I can shine light onto other mountain sides when down in Tennessee ;) Love those bulbs! 4000+ Lumens of a crisp 6000K

Does anyone know the bulb sizing for the Type R headlights?

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wonder if there would be much improvement going to the OPT7 bulbs in the Type R versus the stock lights. http://www.opt-7.com/fluxbeam-x-led-headlights/

Swapping out the Lotus' HID light bulbs to the Fluxbeam Xs made a massive difference! I can shine light onto other mountain sides when down in Tennessee ;) Love those bulbs! 4000+ Lumens of a crisp 6000K

Does anyone know the bulb sizing for the Type R headlights?
No bulbs, these aren't projectors. They are LED arrays.
Honda Civic 10th gen Poor headlight output - Options? 243763272572

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
They're reflector based LED headlamps so the performance will be subpar compared to projectors.
The headlamps on my ILX aren't so bad because they're projector based led headlamps but they're nothing compared to my S2000 in terms of output.

There's really nothing you can do in order to obtain more output on the led headlamps. You can try aiming it a little bit higher and see if that maybe helps.

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
Ahhhh... Weird wild stuff. I had no idea vehicles even did array lighting like this... I'm still in the old school days of got a bulb aiming at your projector or inside a housing... Replace it!

Thanks for the info all!

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They're reflector based LED headlamps so the performance will be subpar compared to projectors.
The headlamps on my ILX aren't so bad because they're projector based led headlamps but they're nothing compared to my S2000 in terms of output.

There's really nothing you can do in order to obtain more output on the led headlamps. You can try aiming it a little bit higher and see if that maybe helps.
Your S2K has one of the top 5 best OEM projectors ever created. The lights on that thing are incredible. S2K was a very common retrofit for a long time. I think people do Acura TL more now tho.
Sponsored