Poll: Will Si and Type R remain manual only?

Will Si or Type R get an 'auto' transmission?

• Total voters

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Hate to say it, Subaru already offers a 268hp CVT WRX. Honda may follow their lead.
The WRX CVT seems well received and hasn't developed any issues in the 2 years that it's been available.
Not saying I support CVT Si.....
Sponsored

serif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9G Accord V6 Slushbox Sedan
Eh. I think it's more likely the Si stays manual-only and the Type-R gets a strengthened DCT as an option. At least that's my hope. Seems to be the way of things these days to have the more track-focused version get a DCT.

I just can't see a CVT with the Si. Wife has a Juke Nismo AWD, and the weak spot is the CVT. That's what journos are saying about the CivicX, too. Maybe Honda ports the DCT from the K24 Acuras to the Si if it feels it needs an automatic, but I think it's more likely they leave well enough alone.

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
Eh. I think it's more likely the Si stays manual-only and the Type-R gets a strengthened DCT as an option. At least that's my hope. Seems to be the way of things these days to have the more track-focused version get a DCT.

I just can't see a CVT with the Si. Wife has a Juke Nismo AWD, and the weak spot is the CVT. That's what journos are saying about the CivicX, too. Maybe Honda ports the DCT from the K24 Acuras to the Si if it feels it needs an automatic, but I think it's more likely they leave well enough alone.
The journalists are saying that about cvts in general because they are biased against them. Most of the reviews I've read say for a cvt its very good without any of the rubber banding effect common with them. It is a modified unit from the Accord which gets quite a bit of praise.

Miguel

Threads
Reaction score
Hate to say it, Subaru already offers a 268hp CVT WRX. Honda may follow their lead.
The WRX CVT seems well received and hasn't developed any issues in the 2 years that it's been available.
Not saying I support CVT Si.....
Honestly I wouldn't mind if they somehow manages to engineer a beefed up and sportier behaving CVT like the WRX has. That gearbox is even robust enough to take on extra power from modifying. Of course I'd prefer a DCT but if that's not possible I'll take a top of the line sport focused CVT.

Ten10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Accord
The journalists are saying that about cvts in general because they are biased against them. Most of the reviews I've read say for a cvt its very good without any of the rubber banding effect common with them. It is a modified unit from the Accord which gets quite a bit of praise.
Somewhat agree the CVT just has a hard time escaping the image of being a transmission used for non-performance fuel efficiency reasons. It's going to be a hard image to shake. That and nobody ever goes into a dealership asking for a CVT but they look for fuel efficiency and that's how it gets sold.

Perception of CVT's is definitely that they are in cars that are not enjoyable to drive but we know there's high end hybrids like the Lexus GS hybrid that have CVTs and are perfectly fun and capable. Maybe it will help with having a mainstream fun and sporty car like the Civic try to dispel the myths that they can't be fun transmissions. They better wait at least a few years before they put it in the Si though, if ever.

LBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z
I haven't tried either CVT in the Juke nor new Civic but the general reputation out there is that Honda's CVT is much better than Nissan's (and I'm a Nissan owner).

That said, it's true, if there's any soft point at all in the generally strong CivicX reviews it's been the CVT transmission. I do think that because the rest of the car is so good, it might over-highlight the fact that the CVT isn't as great as the rest of the car. That's the impression I get from reading the reviews at least.

///Mookster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Somewhat agree the CVT just has a hard time escaping the image of being a transmission used for non-performance fuel efficiency reasons. It's going to be a hard image to shake. That and nobody ever goes into a dealership asking for a CVT but they look for fuel efficiency and that's how it gets sold.

Perception of CVT's is definitely that they are in cars that are not enjoyable to drive but we know there's high end hybrids like the Lexus GS hybrid that have CVTs and are perfectly fun and capable. Maybe it will help with having a mainstream fun and sporty car like the Civic try to dispel the myths that they can't be fun transmissions. They better wait at least a few years before they put it in the Si though, if ever.
All of these changes are to achieve fuel efficiency goals imposed by CAFE. Since the base Civic occupies such a huge portion of sales for Honda you can expect the goal with Civic to be very much about bringing down their fleet average MPG. However that should be done to provide more freedom to their lower or limited volume niche sports vehicles like the Si and Type R. Otherwise it is just watering down the whole nameplate.

VA2K

Silver Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
I'll be sad if they are not manual! :doh:

GearGrind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 WRX 6mt ISM, 13 BRZ (Vortech S/C) 6mt
Si will for sure get an auto, like everyone said, broader appeal.

You can see this trend on recent entry level sports car such as FRS/BRZ, WRX, etc

Reactions: LBB

LBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z

I'm not sure Honda cares that CVT has the image of being a 'green' tansmission, at least on the standard Civic models. I mean the standard Civic models don't even have tailpipes showing for that reason - in keeping with Honda's green image.

What'll be interesting is what auto transmission makes it onto the Si, if any, and if it's a CVT, how they'll engineer and market it as a performance geared transmission.

LBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z
Si will for sure get an auto, like everyone said, broader appeal.

You can see this trend on recent entry level sports car such as FRS/BRZ, WRX, etc
I agree. Big question mark for everyone here is CVT or DCT or maybe even traditional auto?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I don't think an auto is in the house of cards quite yet. The Si is not a high production trim nor does it contribute to Honda's aspirations to exceed CAFE standards (average combined fuel economy). We may see a change once the ILX is offered with a revised motor on the global chassis. But for now, don't get your hopes up too much...

Iibrahim264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord
They both better be manual only. The type R needs to have the 2.4L turbo charged engine and the Si needs to have the 2.0 Turbo Charged engine. No shitty 1.5L please! I don't want to get beat by a Fiesta St.
Literally what I was thinking. 1.5L is kind of a joke imo. At least 2.0L for the money were paying.

Roddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Manual transmissions are dead (dying) so I would be surprised if they dont offer a CVT or DCT. The WRX has it, and its the cutting edge technology which this vehicle will need to have in order to appeal to younger buyers.

Me personally... I'll take my 230hp Turbo Civic Si with Paddle Shifters please!
Sponsored