• Total voters

Boarshead77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW FK8; previously, 2011 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Ahhh, thank you! Makes more sense.

As far as19’ options, as far as I can tell, you have the 3 or 4 options on tirerack (motegi being the least expense, it seems) and NSX wheels, right? I believe Titan7 may offer some, but those are around 2k.

Any other reasonable options out there?
Sponsored

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
TR has basically 2 models. OZ Ultraleggera for just under $500 each and Motegi for like $230. They weigh THE SAME, so no question which I would go with....Both comes in black or silver.

Outside of that, NSX is I think the only other off the shelf option. I think Chris Sun out in Calgary got a set of custom BC Forged for his. Nothing Titan7 makes right now is legal for DS use.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Also are they going to be cheaper than NSX wheels after all the work of getting them here....lets face it they won't be cheaper or lighter than Motegi....

apexit53

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 Integra aspec MT
Country flag
Also are they going to be cheaper than NSX wheels after all the work of getting them here....lets face it they won't be cheaper or lighter than Motegi....

what small searching I did they were more expensive than nsx wheels. NSX wheels are getting harder to get though.

Motegis FTW

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
the question is.. how do we import them here?

https://www.tegiwaimports.com/select-car/honda/fk2/wheels.html

I buy stuff from England for my business all the time, and the exchange rate USD/GBP is about as good right now as it has been in the several decades. It is actually up just a tick in the past few days, but still good. I got a quote on this site for 4 wheels shipped to my house for 1231 GBP, which is $1631 at this moment. So a little over $400 a wheel.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
what small searching I did they were more expensive than nsx wheels. NSX wheels are getting harder to get though.

Motegis FTW

FK2 wheels are a little over $400 shipped (See my above post), so where are you finding NSX wheels cheaper than that?

And while the Motegis are cheaper and a bit lighter, they are really very unimpressive in the looks department. If I wanted wheels just to mount racing tires on, then they are fine. But the OEM wheels are so much better looking on these cars than the Motegis, at least to my eye. And the OEMs have the correct offset, the only non-original production wheel in existence that can make that claim.

I am seriously considering getting a set for my winter wheels. Probably order 5 if I do it.

And for the record, I did not say they were necessarily a better option, just a different one.

Last edited:

apexit53

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 Integra aspec MT
Country flag
FK2 wheels are a little over $400 shipped (See my above post), so where are you finding NSX wheels cheaper than that?

And while the Motegis are cheaper and a bit lighter, they are really very unimpressive in the looks department. If I wanted wheels just to mount racing tires on, then they are fine. But the OEM wheels are so much better looking on these cars than the Motegis, at least to my eye. And the OEMs have the correct offset, the only non-original production wheel in existence that can make that claim.

I am seriously considering getting a set for my winter wheels. Probably order 5 if I do it.

And for the record, I did not say they were necessarily a better option, just a different one.
I do like the fk2 wheels, factory look, just smaller.. they way they should be.

I work for a honda dealer that has an acura dealer in the family, my cost depending on the wheel is a lot cheaper than 400 bucks. trouble is getting the wheels. acura has caught on to type r people ordering nsx wheels and they have been trying to put a stop to it. Some wheel options you need a vin, proof of ownership of an nsx so get thm when you can!

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmm those FK2 prices are a lot better than I expected....I bought my NSX wheels used so I was not paying the new prices for them. But seeing that price I would not mind recommending those aside from the weight part.

I am not placing any value on the correct offset part myself but YMMV

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I do like the fk2 wheels, factory look, just smaller.. they way they should be.

I work for a honda dealer that has an acura dealer in the family, my cost depending on the wheel is a lot cheaper than 400 bucks. trouble is getting the wheels. acura has caught on to type r people ordering nsx wheels and they have been trying to put a stop to it. Some wheel options you need a vin, proof of ownership of an nsx so get thm when you can!

That is good for you that you can get them cheap, but almost no one else on here has that advantage. So I suspect that people care about making a comparison based on what they will pay, not what you will pay. Your great deal is meaningless to them.

FWIW: Rahal has NSX wheels listed at $760 each, and are the only company I can find claiming to even have them for sale. That is the price that anyone not working for Honda needs to be using to make a comparison. Makes $400 shipped for FK2s look like a really good price.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Hmm those FK2 prices are a lot better than I expected....I bought my NSX wheels used so I was not paying the new prices for them. But seeing that price I would not mind recommending those aside from the weight part.
The weight is a negative, but that weight is there for a reason, The OEM wheels are tanks, built heavy in the right places to handle the abuse of daily driving. I have hit some serious potholes and never damaged my wheels. I hit one a couple of weeks ago that about shook the fillings out of my teeth. I promise you that if I had a set of 20ish pound aftermarket wheels with 30 series tires, I would now have both wheels on the right side with bent lips. Guaranteed. But the OEM wheels with their oversized (and thus heavy) lips handled it with no problem.

The weight does make them a negative for racing. But everything has a tradeoff.

I am not placing any value on the correct offset part myself but YMMV
The torque steer effect is a function of the relationship between the centerline of the wheel (determined partially by the offset) and the steering pivot axis. Now you can argue that a change in that relationship by altering the offset will have an effect that is unnoticeable, undetectable, insignificant, or any other of a number of subjective adjectives. But altering the offset WILL alter the torque steer effect, whether the driver can detect it or not. The laws of physics demand that to be the case, and of that you can't argue.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh I am not arguing the physics, its just in the realm of Street class allowable wheels, the effect is negligible because you are still dealing with at most 7mm of offset change. I am also dailying on 20mm less offset 18s right now and I am not really being bothered by any changes.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Oh I am not arguing the physics, its just in the realm of Street class allowable wheels, the effect is negligible because you are still dealing with at most 7mm of offset change. I am also dailying on 20mm less offset 18s right now and I am not really being bothered by any changes.
I have not had anything but OEM wheels on mine, so I can't provide any valuable feedback on the subject of how it feels.

Have you daily driven with the the VSA fully off? I would expect that the torque vectoring function of the VSA would counteract at least some of the effects of the increased offset. You would need to turn it off to get a real feel for any effects.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My DD wheels are just that, for DDing to counter the shitty roads here(also for snow tires). I track with the bone stock car once and autoXed on NSX wheels(-5mm offset) with VSA fully off and The car is fine with the NSX wheels. I probably will have seat time with Motegi and NSX wheels this year and I honestly don't expect any difference between those.

I've driven Hoosier shod Prepared CRX with LSD and basically 0-offset wheels and that thing had real torque steer issue and basically will go ANYWHERE the steering wheel is pointed at as you are wrestling the front end without power steering, I very much doubt anything on this will get anywhere as crazy as that on street tires. I think torque steer issues are worse on dailying as a nuisance since you are not really tense up to drive the car all the time and often probably not prepared to deal with it but when adrenaline is flowing and you are all ready to drive the car your hands will just deal with it however it can.
Sponsored