Poll: Muffler Delete vs Resonator Delete vs Muffler & Resonator Delete vs Aftermarket Exhaust

Muffler Delete vs Resonator Delete vs Muffler & Resonator Delete vs Aftermarket Exhaust

• Total voters

NightTrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As the title says, which have you done? Feel free to comment why
Sponsored

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As the title says, which have you done? Feel free to comment why
Afe Power Custom Type R exhaust fitted for SI, 27Won CAI, RV6 3” downpipe and frontpipe, Ktuner V2, FLI Custom Dyno Tuned, FX350 Clutch with SS Clutch line, Skunk2 Weighted Shift Knob. Will get more videos later on. The exhaust has no mufflers and two resonators: One is 3" Magnapack and the other is 3" aFe Type R Resonator.

Last edited:

Deleted member

I went with a muffler/resonator delete instead of a new exhaust for a couple reasons:

1. The stock Si exhaust is pretty close to optimal in terms of airflow; new exhaust systems do not increase power at all. Because of this, the only reason to get a new exhaust is if you are hunting for a specific exhaust sound or tip(I personally think the HDMI tip looks sharp).

2. The stock exhaust with a resonator and muffler delete sounds fantastic. You get this deep throaty roar when you turn the vehicle on and the crackle and pop sounds when letting off the gas are great.

3. It's a very cost effective option to get a nice exhaust sound compared to a new full exhaust system that doesn't grant any gains.

I will note this mod is very loud; the videos do not do it justice, when I had mine done it was way louder than I expected it to be- it is definitely not for everyone. Do not do the muffler/res delete if you do not like loud. It could be me just getting used to it(or maybe my hearing is going) but it seems to quiet down a tad some weeks later and you eventually learn what gearing and rpms are loud and which are quieter to keep the noise under control so it isn't obnoxious unless you want it to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
NightTrain

NightTrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went with a muffler/resonator delete instead of a new exhaust for a couple reasons:

1. The stock Si exhaust is pretty close to optimal in terms of airflow; new exhaust systems do not increase power at all. Because of this, the only reason to get a new exhaust is if you are hunting for a specific exhaust sound or tip(I personally think the HDMI tip looks sharp).

2. The stock exhaust with a resonator and muffler delete sounds fantastic. You get this deep throaty roar when you turn the vehicle on and the crackle and pop sounds when letting off the gas are great.

3. It's a very cost effective option to get a nice exhaust sound compared to a new full exhaust system that doesn't grant any gains.

I will note this mod is very loud; the videos do not do it justice, when I had mine done it was way louder than I expected it to be- it is definitely not for everyone. Do not do the muffler/res delete if you do not like loud. It could be me just getting used to it(or maybe my hearing is going) but it seems to quiet down a tad some weeks later and you eventually learn what gearing and rpms are loud and which are quieter to keep the noise under control so it isn't obnoxious unless you want it to be.

I wish I could here a muffler/resonator delete in person before pulling the trigger. If you could rate the loudness on a scale of 10 (5 being stock) where would put it?

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wish I could here a muffler/resonator delete in person before pulling the trigger. If you could rate the loudness on a scale of 10 (5 being stock) where would put it?

Check YouTube, they are loud and most sound terrible. Get a down pipe, you will actually gain some power while getting a little sound. Still not crazy loud but good sounding.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well bigger exhaust piping means for future bigger turbo upgrade

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si. 2006 bmw 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did a resonator delete and loved it, barely any louder than stock, deeper tone and a bit more rumble/crackle and pops. Recently got Prl’s street(catted) downpipe and it sounds great. Sometimes there’s a bit too many crackles and pops with the downpipe added but it’s still not really that much and still not loud

Deleted member

Definitely a 10- it's Harley Davidson loud.

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
I thought the general consensus was to do either a muffler or resonator delete but not both.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought the general consensus was to do either a muffler or resonator delete but not both.

I'd do muffler or nothing, the resonator keeps the exhaust from causing cabin drone.

All these guys removing the muffler, resonator and running a down pipe are making the car loud, sound like crap and falling right in the typically "Honda" stereotype most are trying not to be grouped with.

Deleted member

I'd do muffler or nothing, the resonator keeps the exhaust from causing cabin drone.

All these guys removing the muffler, resonator and running a down pipe are making the car loud, sound like crap and falling right in the typically "Honda" stereotype most are trying not to be grouped with.
I've seen videos of just about every single genX Si exhaust on the market and the stock exhaust with res/muffler delete is quite similar to most of them(but it is louder than most of them). Sounds pretty damn good to me.

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag

Yep, muffler delete is what I'm leaning towards mainly to save weight and lose the HDMI tip.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've seen videos of just about every single genX Si exhaust on the market and the stock exhaust with res/muffler delete is quite similar to most of them(but it is louder than most of them). Sounds pretty damn good to me.

I'd be interested in an in car of this Si, I'd be willing to be cruising for more than a short while would be annoying.

Deleted member

I'd be interested in an in car of this Si, I'd be willing to be cruising for more than a short while would be annoying.
In my experience there are just very specific RPMs to avoid to avoid the cabin drone. On mine with the res/muffler delete 1800-1900 rpm is extremely loud in the cabin but 2000-2100 is almost silent for cruising.
Sponsored