Poll for Type R Owners:

What is the Original Exterior Color Of Your Type R?

• Total voters

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I see, i assumed that because every Type R colors related polls i saw, PMM has always been always a minority. Nevertheless Honda had Type R marked as SOLD OUT since late April on their Canadian website. And that's when the local madness of used R started surging.
In Canada, you guys got to order your color (assuming the dealer had a car they could still order.) In the US, the dealers didn't get to pick their inbound colors. The US dealers didn't know what color they were getting until they got a VIN number after the car was built or ready for shipment. So I suspect Honda USA made those decisions as to color allocations and quantities, but I've never seen it publicly answered.
Sponsored

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I cast my vote then looked at the poll so far, and surprisingly I have the rarest color, AB. Which I like enough that I bought both my '17 SI and my '18 Type R in it.
Interesting footnote. The official Honda brochure color for the original CTR is Championship White. However, the first 10th gen F8 sold, serial number 00001, which auctioned for six figures, was....Aegean Blue.
As far as market value, one could pull up Car Gurus and filter for color and see if there is any apparent difference in resale prices.
Any color is great because under that paint is a...Type R. :)

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah problem is not every CTR driver does polls or is on this forum. We wont get an accurate number
You don't need the complete population - or anywhere near it - just a statistically significant number to extrapolate. Maybe someone on the forum who is less rusty on that subject can tell us what that number is, given the number of options to vote for. I think we have enough responses, or close to it, for the results to be meaningful.

blackhawk867

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21436
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Damn, my ABM is just as rare as the limited edition yellow? I feel like the blue doesn't get enough love

OP
OP
MoTeC R

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Damn, my ABM is just as rare as the limited edition yellow? I feel like the blue doesn't get enough love
People feel the red and blue are too Super Man and clashed for some reason. I almost settled on the AB but I really wanted a PMM so I paid a little extra as I’ve always been a white, grey, and black car fan. Those colors never go out of style so to speak since they are neutral.

blackhawk867

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21436
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
People feel the red and blue are too Super Man and clashed for some reason. I almost settled on the AB but I really wanted a PMM so I paid a little extra as I’ve always been a white, grey, and black car fan. Those colors never go out of style so to speak since they are neutral.
Blue is my favorite color, so that was probably my biggest bias.
I know this is controversial, but I don't like the Championship white... it looks like normal white that was left out in the sun for a long time and is now faded.
Black looks sick, but after my first car I promised myself I'd never get a black car again (impossible to keep clean and you burn yourself in the summer).
Red looks awesome, but it stands out too much and this car already stands out plenty. I don't think I'd ever want a red car.
Boost Blue wasn't available in '19 but that would have been tempting.
PMM was my second choice if I couldn't find a blue one.
SGP is very overrated, it looks ok I guess but I don't get the hype.
Ignoring the fact that yellow is limited only, the same comments as red apply.

And now I'll brace myself for all the hate I'll get for those opinions... ?

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
I ended up with White but really like the Aegean Blue which never came to Canada. Boost Blue is a bit much for me and reminds me of a Ford colour.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
So I went through the FK8 registry and counted up each color for every year in every country (only like 3000 entries exist) and got the following for all time-all country counts (table below). A full Excel sheet is attached which separates out counts by country and year. This is based on the FK8 registry, so it will have it's own inherent biases (see below).
ABM290
BB23
BSBM43
CBP670
CW1258
PMM371
PY1
RR451
SGP218
SPG1

Note that this table isn't perfect and there are possible mistakes. For example the SPG typo that probably should be SGP. Additionally, the PY is from 2017 (so it's not an LE). Additionally BSBM and ABM are the same color if memory serves. They were just labeled differently in different markets.

On top of that, I'll claim there is definitely a likely bias in our sampling. Most people here and on the registry are likely either car enthusiasts or Honda enthusiast which might influence their color choice (*cough* CW *cough*). While an average joe may not care as much for the color, we do due to its historical significance. It is possible that the very high CW count may not reflect the true distribution of colors. I'd also argue that the CBP may also be confounding as many enthusiasts felt the car was over styled and thus liked using black to cover up all the craziness. Though this latter may also apply to the general population too. The single PY is also a bias since it comes from an obvious enthusiast who re-colored their 2017 FK8 Phoenix yellow.

Attachments

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
CW is the most common color so that might not be skewed very much. Enthusiast or not, most of the inventory prior to them pumping out BB this year to get numbers up have been CW so it's a de facto option when headed to the dealer.

The poll here is likely very skewed though- more BB than RR and CBP? I'd be surprised if there are 2000 BB CTR's in the whole of the US, considering there having been about 1000 since November from what numbers were pulled from Honda's transit logs and last year had reduced production and it was hard to find the color. But, as this is a dedicated forum, users will be attracted to the less common colors.

OP
OP
MoTeC R

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks like an early sampling then fell off @tinyman392. There are many BB & SGP from the cars.com counts I saw just a few months back. Anyone buying a Type R is likely somewhat of a car enthusiast but all we can do is hope more here continue to see this, maybe a mod could pin this for us for more too see over time?

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Blue is my favorite color, so that was probably my biggest bias.
I know this is controversial, but I don't like the Championship white... it looks like normal white that was left out in the sun for a long time and is now faded.
Black looks sick, but after my first car I promised myself I'd never get a black car again (impossible to keep clean and you burn yourself in the summer).
Red looks awesome, but it stands out too much and this car already stands out plenty. I don't think I'd ever want a red car.
Boost Blue wasn't available in '19 but that would have been tempting.
PMM was my second choice if I couldn't find a blue one.
SGP is very overrated, it looks ok I guess but I don't get the hype.
Ignoring the fact that yellow is limited only, the same comments as red apply.

And now I'll brace myself for all the hate I'll get for those opinions... ?
No hate from this guy. Both my SI and the CTR that replaced it are in AB. You chose well. I have had red cars, love the color, but it is not ideal for the Type R, in spite of the red interior. Serial number 000001 for the first Type R auctioned in the US was Aegean Blue. Went for like
$ 200,000. So yeah, great color on these. Boost Blue is cool and of course has that great association with Spoon. But looks less rich compared to AB. The AB IMHO looks deeper and less plastic compared to BB. Okay, here comes my hate mail. I have received plenty of compliments - both on the SI and now CTR - with most people favorably commenting on the color. Also makes it easy to find in a crowded parking lot. As if that was a challenge with a Type R.
It may just not have been as available, even if you wanted one in that color when new. Looking at resale prices and filtering by color, it is getting plenty of love on the resale market, seeming to go for a tad more than similar years, similar mileage FK8's with other colors. As for love, I have received numerous compliments on the AB color both when I had the SI, and now on the AB CTR.

rallyered225

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
I miss my EBP EM1. My favorite color by far. I'm happy with the red but really wanted the blue.
Sponsored