poll: anybody chanGe headlights from halogen to led on civic

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
You're writing detailed paragraph after paragraph, but we're talking a simple swap of a plug and play light bulb here. I get it, for you that's a "risk". For me and many others, it's a simple upgrade to improve nighttime visibility and match the white light of the DRL's.
Thanks for understanding. I get very technical sometimes. When I had my Jetta LED'd out I always had problems. LEDs don't have resistance so I had wire in the correct resistor for each LED. Additionally, the interior dome lights would slowly dim when doors were shut, the LEDs just flashed. haha

One of my stock headlights burnt out after 35k miles. Super reliable indeed.

Also, if you were to choose an LED that uses the same voltage etc how is that any different than the stock? Makes zero difference, doesn't add strain to the stock electrical system and I'd be willing to bet the ecu does not see any difference. I do respect your opinion on keeping it stock for reliability, but to state that you should NEVER swap anything over from stock because it becomes less reliable is spreading false information.

Now if you said, make sure the voltage etc lines up and to not get ebay trash then yeah awesome.
1. Reliability does not mean "last forever", reliable means you can buy them anywhere; Wal-Mart at 3 a.m. so you don't get pulled over riding dirty. Reliability also means you can afford them. So, when the inevitable happens, you can rely on finding this bulb and affording it. Versus high-end cars with expensive HIDs and ballasts.

2. Voltage is not wattage. Imagine a water hose; the AMOUNT of water is voltage (measured in volts), the CURRENT is pressure (measured in amps), the RESISTANCE at the nozzle (measured in ohms) dictates how much volts and amps need for water for spray at the appropriate rate. Having the correct voltage rating means nothing, it comes down to ohms and how much amps the car's computer is sending and receiving feedback. Again, LED are diodes, electricity only flows one way. Incandescent are either in series or parallel, which would confuse the modules.

If our car was a Hyundai, I wouldn't worry about this. But it's a Honda, I know they're using more advanced communication systems.

and thanks respecting my opinion about OE parts (it used to be my job as an advisor to sell OE parts, and I did very well)

all I'm saying once you change from OE to aftermarket, you become the Chief Engineer of your car

Honda Civic 10th gen poll: anybody chanGe headlights from  halogen  to led on  civic Ohms-Triangle

Honda Civic 10th gen poll: anybody chanGe headlights from  halogen  to led on  civic electrical-formula-01

Last edited:

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Look guys, and maybe gals, I'm outta this thread.

Your car, your mods.

It's all about having fun!

Do you.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
***Two essays on Automotive Technology are listed on the bottom of the post.***

My point is manufacturers pay millions to research and develop the best material suited for everyday driving on public roads. Through-out the years engineers have been paid millions to design, build and produce cars that meet government fuel efficiency, emissions and safety regulations. The last thing auto-manufacturers want is to recall thousands of vehicles due to design flaws, which have the potential to harm people or "pollute" the Earth. When the National Emissions Standards Act, officially known as the Motor Vehicle Air Pollution Control Act (Pub. L. 89–272) came into effect, manufacturers thought it would decrease engine life and reduce fuel economy, where as in fact it did the exact opposite.

These manufactures have been around a long time, spent millions (maybe billions) designing these vehicles, so that they can outlast the competition. Remember AMC, or even Saturn, Scion? AMC could't keep up with the competition. Saturn and Scion funds were cut to improve GM's and Toyota's product, so the money would be spent designing better vehicles. Hell, Honda and Toyota were crushing the US market in the 70's.

Honda has decades of R&D and has spent millions (billions) to design their product; a vehicle you paid $20,000 - $40,000.

Why would you want to put cheap LED bulbs in from ebay (or anything aftermarket)i?

Look, I did the same thing with my Jetta. It looked cool as hell, sadly, I always had issues with LEDs falling out of the angle eye headlamps, the tail lamps didn't properly fit, in addition the HID kit I bought off ebay seldom worked.

It's your car; I get it, it's a reflection of who you are as a person. I'm not bashing your choice of installing aftermarket components. Be advised the LED bulbs you may purchase likely are of poor quality. I put a set of LED license plate bulbs on my fathers Gen Coupe and within a year the soldering came apart and the lights were no longer operational.

In this instance, you putting aftermarket LEDs in as headlights could: 1) fail while driving 75 mph and you not being able to see; 2) the soldering could deteriorate causing less visibility and uncontrollable flashing; 3) you could literally be blinding other drivers.

One of my most influential automotive professors instilled this mindset. These manufactures have done their homework and you should't start messing with their product; unless you want to become the Chief Engineer of your car.

_IGP6772_3_4_tonemapped_1copy.jpg

_IGP6781_2_3_tonemapped_1.JPG

_IGP6817_8_9_tonemapped_1.JPG

IMG00044.jpg

_IGP3613.JPG

_IGP3598.JPG
I agree partially. The factory bulbs will last longer then aftermarket bulbs without a doubt. Also the light assembly is made to work with the factory bulb to give good light and throw. This is what some people lose when switching out the bulbs to led is the throw. They are really bright and blind everybody but the throw won’t be as good as the factory halogen bulb. The hid bulbs are really bright and got plenty throw but sometimes run too hot or the ballast will go out within a years time and you end up spending extra money you didn’t even need to. And last people mostly worry about how well they will see in the rain. Well the reason we don’t see well in the rain is because light reflects off of water like a mirror. So when the road is covered in water your light is being reflected off the road. Plus the rain falling is reflecting your light in your face kinda like fog does. So the brighter you go the more light gets reflected. So the factory bulb is probably the best bet to not blind people, have good bulb life, good throw, and decent light in the rain. If you need more light then use your brights, that’s what they are there for. Just don’t use your brights in the rain or fog. Believe it or not, some people actually need to be told that

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I agree partially. The factory bulbs will last longer then aftermarket bulbs without a doubt. Also the light assembly is made to work with the factory bulb to give good light and throw. This is what some people lose when switching out the bulbs to led is the throw. They are really bright and blind everybody but the throw won’t be as good as the factory halogen bulb. The hid bulbs are really bright and got plenty throw but sometimes run too hot or the ballast will go out within a years time and you end up spending extra money you didn’t even need to. And last people mostly worry about how well they will see in the rain. Well the reason we don’t see well in the rain is because light reflects off of water like a mirror. So when the road is covered in water your light is being reflected off the road. Plus the rain falling is reflecting your light in your face kinda like fog does. So the brighter you go the more light gets reflected. So the factory bulb is probably the best bet to not blind people, have good bulb life, good throw, and decent light in the rain. If you need more light then use your brights, that’s what they are there for. Just don’t use your brights in the rain or fog. Believe it or not, some people actually need to be told that
Interesting. My LED low beams have about the same throw as the stock halogens with a slightly wider beam pattern. They also are only a bit brighter than stock (and much whiter) and certainly do not blind other drivers (haven't been flashed by others drivers at all). I agree though that the halogens are a bit better in rain.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Interesting. My LED low beams have about the same throw as the stock halogens with a slightly wider beam pattern. They also are only a bit brighter than stock (and much whiter) and certainly do not blind other drivers (haven't been flashed by others drivers at all). I agree though that the halogens are a bit better in rain.
You might have a decent led. But this can really only be tested with a lumens tester. I’ve watched a couple videos of the tests done and the throw is always best with the factory bulb or the hid. But the hid always burn out or ballast goes out so they are kinda useless. Because we have projector lenses in our low beams the light source has to be in the precise spot to keep that aimed beam of light. That’s why I got the silverstar ultras. They are a halogen bulb just like the factory but a little brighter and whiter. They got the same exact beam with the same cutoff, just brighter

Last edited:

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Thank you for putting it in laymen terms.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Last edited:

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
ugh

this entire thread is why I never liked Honda or Honda owners

figured yall would grow out of the ricer phase

Honda Civic 10th gen poll: anybody chanGe headlights from  halogen  to led on  civic vw

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
ugh

this entire thread is why I never liked Honda or Honda owners

figured yall would grow out of the ricer phase

vw.jpg
First time I've heard that LED replacement low beams are considered rice. And if you don't like Honda and Honda owners, why are you frequenting CivicX.com?

Also, have you been drinking?:dunno:

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
First time I've heard that LED replacement low beams are considered rice. And if you don't like Honda and Honda owners, why are you frequenting CivicX.com?

Also, have you been drinking?:dunno:
no, i've recently been diagnosed with major depression and general anxiety. i lost my job because the medication made me sleep too much and forget things. i'm trying to get my life back in order and working on cars helps, even if it's a Honda. i'm rebuilding a '75 D100 also, but that stuff is straight forward; nothing like these computer controlled cars nowadays.

and i like people, i want to help people. if i can provide knowable that helps someone it makes me feel good. and i really need that.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don’t know but I just replaced my low and high beam bulbs with silverstar ultras. Here is a picture of my low beams and the next is my high beams. You can see the cutoff really well in the low beams and the throw. And the high beams are ridiculous lol. And they have been in for a year now and still going strong. I work shift work so I use my lights at least 50% of the time.
Honda Civic 10th gen poll: anybody chanGe headlights from  halogen  to led on  civic CF0B7124-67A9-488B-96A7-D4574EF581A7
Low beams
Honda Civic 10th gen poll: anybody chanGe headlights from  halogen  to led on  civic CD3EB141-81BE-44C3-8B39-2E4E2D6BB22E
high beams

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
I replaced mine with Lumibright XT1's and so far, so good.
  • Pros; The throw and beam pattern is great. They're quiet. The color is nice. Supposedly 3 year warranty.
  • Cons; they don't feel very secure installed. no satisfying "click" once rotated in to position. They are clockable for applications needing it, but have no set screw to secure them in to the desired clock position, allowing them to rotate out of position with hardly any effort. (luckily, not an issue in the Civic)
I may switch back to the halogens sooner rather than later... we'll see.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
http://www.chehaliscollisioncenter.com/blog/switching-from-halogen-to-led-headlights/

The Pros of LED Headlights

LED headlights are becoming more popular — and for good reason. They offer several benefits, as described below.

LED Headlamps Are More Energy-Efficient

One of the biggest reasons for the switch from halogen to LED lighting is the low power draw needed to run LED lights. LED headlights use only a fraction of the electricity necessary to run standard halogen headlights.

Less power strain on your system means less wear on your battery and alternator. If you accidentally leave the headlights on when the car is not running, your LED headlights may not draw enough electricity to kill your battery. Your halogen lights, on the other hand, will render your battery useless without a jump-start if the headlights are accidentally left on for too long.

LED Headlights Last Longer

Halogen headlights are far cheaper than LED lights, but they only have a life span between 1,000 and 6,000 hours. LED lights can give you 25,000 to 30,000 hours of uninterrupted vehicle lighting. The long life of the LED bulb is a serious plus for people who:

• Own multiple vehicles
  • Drive long distances routinely
  • Lack the ability to service their own cars
  • Live remotely with no local car-parts store
Changing out headlight bulbs is a complicated process in some vehicles. If you replace a halogen bulb, experts warn you not to touch the glass enclosure of the bulb. Grease and other debris on your hands can transfer to the bulb glass. When that greasy or oily coating heats up, it can damage the halogen bulb and reduce its life span.

LED lights aren’t as sensitive to the dirt on your hands. You don’t have to be delicate when changing LED headlight bulbs. This factor makes the onerous task of changing out bulbs far easier.

The Cons of LED Headlights

Despite their advantages, LED headlights are not without problems. Here are a few disadvantages to keep in mind.

LED Lights Are Not Omni-Directional

Halogen bulbs are omni-directional. This means they emit light from the front and sides of the bulb. They provide adequate illumination of the road ahead and the sides of the road at the same time.

LED lights emit light in a straight fashion from each diode. The light of an LED array is far more intense than the light produced by a standard halogen lamp, but that doesn’t necessarily translate into better illumination when driving. Unless you aim the LED bulbs properly, you end up with headlights that don’t show you as much of the road.

If you change the height of your vehicle with different-size tires or a new suspension, you must reorient the bulbs. Otherwise, the lights will aim too high or too low for the safety of you and other drivers on the road. LED lights aimed too high can blind other drivers, while LED headlights aimed too low don’t reveal enough of the highway ahead.

LED Lights Don’t Get Hot Enough

Standard halogen headlight bulbs heat up to around 4,500 degrees Fahrenheit. The heat they generate is effective at melting snow, ice, and freezing rain off the lenses of your headlights.

LED headlights emit some heat near the back end of their fixtures. Some models include fans or braided heat sinks to dissipate the heat. However, the bulbs themselves create very little heat when running. They aren’t designed to melt snow off your vehicle’s headlight lenses.

When you regularly drive in snowy or icy conditions, you end up with iced-over headlamp lenses while driving with LED fixtures installed. Automakers have created several designs to address this problem, but the fixes aren’t enough in many cases.

If you drive in frigid, wet weather with LED headlights, experts recommend that you keep all of your car’s running lights on while driving. Stop frequently to check your lenses for icing and snow covering. You should clear all snow from the car when possible to avoid having the snow slide over your hood and onto your headlights.

All headlights should be recalibrated by your body shop mechanic if you’re having trouble seeing the road. Some LED headlights need new lenses or specialty housing to reflect light properly on the road. Your mechanic can install these components without compromising the watertightness of the headlight assembly.

You should also be aware that LED headlights are not permitted in some areas. Your local auto shop can tell you if LED lights are street-legal in your location.
Sponsored