poll: anybody chanGe headlights from halogen to led on civic

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
poll anybody chanGe headlights from halogen to led low beams on civic with out any mechanical problems with the car and any waranty issues. especially with the 2019 and 2020 civic.
if you replace OE parts with aftermarket parts it will 100% void your warranty
Sponsored

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
if you replace OE parts with aftermarket parts it will 100% void your warranty
Boy you must be fun at parties.

So you're saying that if I don't replace my OEM bulbs with the same exact OEM bulb, my "warranty will be 100% voided"? Lol

Maybe you're actually fun at parties because you are hilarious.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Dude you need to relax. We're talking about replacing a cheap halogen bulb with an LED bulb. No ones talking about angel eyes and all that tacky aftermarket garbage. It's literally swapping one bulb out for another. You think Honda or any other OEM is finding the finest bulbs money can buy? No. They're putting in the cheapest light they can to cut costs. Halogen lights output dim yellowish light. A set of $50-$100 LEDs will outshine and even out last a crappy halogen bulb. You made it seem like if I'm on the highway and one of my bulbs goes out, I'm going to crash and die. Halogens burn out too, ya know?

You were "attacked" because your opinion was pretty lame. We're all entitled to our own opinions but when people don't like yours, there's not much you can do.
OSRAM makes bulbs with higher (more) lumens. There are plenty of options on the market. For me, as "lame" of an opinion as you think it is, I stick to OEM. My Touring has LEDs and I love them, passing vehicles sometimes flash me. It's no different than those new F250/350 with the headlights taller than our Civics.

Plus, calling my opinion lame is against the Code of Conduct.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OSRAM makes bulbs with higher (more) lumens. There are plenty of options on the market. For me, as "lame" of an opinion as you think it is, I stick to OEM. My Touring has LEDs and I love them, passing vehicles sometimes flash me. It's no different than those new F250/350 with the headlights taller than our Civics.

Plus, calling my opinion lame is against the Code of Conduct.
How's spreading false information? Is that against the "code of conduct"?

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag

So you're saying that if I don't replace my OEM bulbs with the same exact OEM bulb, my "warranty will be 100% voided"? Lol

If you replace your incandescent bulbs with LEDs, then yes, that will void the warranty dealing with the lighting and electrical system.
Light bulbs don't have warranties, they are a wearable item.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you replace your incandescent bulbs with LEDs, then yes, that will void the warranty dealing with the lighting and electrical system.
That's better... But also, he'll be just fine with some quality LED bulbs.

I'd say if he had problems with his LEDs, he could just swap his OEM bulbs in but you might call the FBI on me.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
That's better... But also, he'll be just fine with some quality LED bulbs.

I'd say if he had problems with his LEDs, he could just swap his OEM bulbs in but you might call the FBI on me.
Bro, I don't talk to cops. Period.
Please, be respectful to other members here. We are all a part of the Civic community, asking for help and offering advise.

Here's the link the CivicX Forum Rules and User Agreement
https://www.civicx.com/threads/civicx-forum-rules-and-user-agreement.3538/

Now, can we move past this and help the OP out?

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag

I am the party :headbang:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm... The Moss-Magnusson law essentially says a manufacturer can't automatically void any aspect of the warranty UNLESS an aftermarket part is proven to have caused the issue.

And what are the odds that a simple plug and play replacement of a stock halogen bulb with a lower wattage, slightly higher lumen LED bulb will cause problems?

Last edited:

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
Swapped the low beam bulbs to led a few months ago. No issues. I was not a fan of the factory halogens.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Hmmm... The Moss-Magnusson law essentially says a manufacturer can't automatically void any aspect of the warranty UNLESS an aftermarket part is proven to have caused the issue.

And what are the odds that a simple plug and play replacement of a stock halogen bulb with a lower wattage, slightly higher lumen LED bulb will cause problems?
This is true.

Here are links where people have said LEDs have caused anomalies:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/sour...ption-identified-thoughts-the-fm-radio.27884/
https://www.civicx.com/threads/noise-from-aftermarket-leds-common-in-cold-temperatures.45632/
https://www.9thgencivic.com/threads/leds-causing-radio-static.18491/page-2

EDIT:
Light emitting diodes are a one way check valve that emit wave-length light, which actually pulsates if you get a camera with the correct frame rate.
Incandescent are in either parallel or series circuits and as the filament in the bulb illuminates, it gets hotter and heat equals more resistance. (This is how turn signals flash, by a flasher solenoid, unless it's controlled by CAN like VAG).

These is the basic definition of a dichotomy.

Electricity does not care about semantics, they simply push (or pull) (no one really knows which way electricity flows) positive and negative electrons.

Last edited:

Civic17siYAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
I highly doubt Honda is dumping millions of dollars in R&D to develop their headlights only to put a shitty bulbs in it. Just because its "stock" does not mean it's better quality.

That being said, I'm pretty sure a lot of people modding their cars dont give a rat's ass about the warranty anyways. I sure dont.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Swapped the low beam bulbs to led a few months ago. No issues. I was not a fan of the factory halogens.
That's great, man! I'm happy for you.

I highly doubt Honda is dumping millions of dollars in R&D to develop their headlights only to put a shitty bulbs in it. Just because its "stock" does not mean it's better quality.

That being said, I'm pretty sure a lot of people modding their cars dont give a rat's ass about the warranty anyways. I sure dont.
I have no clue how much they are spending on R&D. They are, however, one of the top two auto-manufacturers in the world. Sure, they're not using expensive bulbs because that wold trickle down to us, the consumer. In order to make the car affordable they've picked the best economical and best performance to maintain an affordable price.

It's stock because that's what Honda corporate executives decided on. Personal opinion here, however "lame" it may be, those people get paid A LOT of money and want to keep their job. Putting in super expensive light bulbs is their least of concerns (likely, I do not know for sure). What's on top priority is dependability and reliability.

Computers in cars are very complicated. Bosch developed CAN and that became the standard protocol for emissions components due to it's fast communication speed. VAG uses CAN BUS to control every electronic device in there vehicles. Nowadays I'm sure there are more complicated systems; checking sensors, communicating with other modules, etc. This communication is so fast that one of these computers “controlling functions on an eight-cylinder engine running at 3,000 RPM can send the spark timing command to fire a cylinder; reevaluate input information about engine speed, coolant temperature, engine load, barometric pressure, throttle position, air/fuel mixture, spark knock, and vehicle speed; recalculate air/fuel mixture, spark timing, and whether to turn on the EGR valve, canister purge valve, and the torque converter clutch; and then take a short nap before sending the commands, all before the next cylinder fires.” (Hatch, 2012, p. 44).

Automotive computer-controlled systems and telematics operate the same as any other technology. Communication signals are voltage signals, either analog or digital (Hatch, 2012, p. 47). This voltage is supplied to components via an electroconductive path, or circuit (p. 51). There are internal circuits (microprocess; memories; clock oscillator; reference voltage regulator; logic gates) and external circuits (inputs; outputs; data busses) using the same supplied voltage (p. 51 – 56). This communication system is operated by a main module; the powertrain control module (PCM), a small, reliable, solid-state digital computer, receiving voltage information from several sensors (p. 74). Modules and systems share information over a serial data bus (Pickerill, 2010, p. 189). In 1984, Bosch developed the Controller Area Network (CAN). Due to its fast communication speed, 1Mbps, CAN became the standard protocol for emissions-related modules in 2008 (p. 190).

These are direct quotes from my essays on Automotive Technology.

Each manufacturer has their own way of controlling the electrical system; just as Windows, Mac, Linux, ect. are all different.

Installing a components could have adverse consequences. You may never have issues, which is awesome and I hope that doesn't happen.

For me, it's a risk I'm not willing to take.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
That's great, man! I'm happy for you.

I have no clue how much they are spending on R&D. They are, however, one of the top two auto-manufacturers in the world. Sure, they're not using expensive bulbs because that wold trickle down to us, the consumer. In order to make the car affordable they've picked the best economical and best performance to maintain an affordable price.

It's stock because that's what Honda corporate executives decided on. Personal opinion here, however "lame" it may be, those people get paid A LOT of money and want to keep their job. Putting in super expensive light bulbs is their least of concerns (likely, I do not know for sure). What's on top priority is dependability and reliability.

Computers in cars are very complicated. Bosch developed CAN and that became the standard protocol for emissions components due to it's fast communication speed. VAG uses CAN BUS to control every electronic device in there vehicles. Nowadays I'm sure there are more complicated systems; checking sensors, communicating with other modules, etc. This communication is so fast that one of these computers “controlling functions on an eight-cylinder engine running at 3,000 RPM can send the spark timing command to fire a cylinder; reevaluate input information about engine speed, coolant temperature, engine load, barometric pressure, throttle position, air/fuel mixture, spark knock, and vehicle speed; recalculate air/fuel mixture, spark timing, and whether to turn on the EGR valve, canister purge valve, and the torque converter clutch; and then take a short nap before sending the commands, all before the next cylinder fires.” (Hatch, 2012, p. 44).

Automotive computer-controlled systems and telematics operate the same as any other technology. Communication signals are voltage signals, either analog or digital (Hatch, 2012, p. 47). This voltage is supplied to components via an electroconductive path, or circuit (p. 51). There are internal circuits (microprocess; memories; clock oscillator; reference voltage regulator; logic gates) and external circuits (inputs; outputs; data busses) using the same supplied voltage (p. 51 – 56). This communication system is operated by a main module; the powertrain control module (PCM), a small, reliable, solid-state digital computer, receiving voltage information from several sensors (p. 74). Modules and systems share information over a serial data bus (Pickerill, 2010, p. 189). In 1984, Bosch developed the Controller Area Network (CAN). Due to its fast communication speed, 1Mbps, CAN became the standard protocol for emissions-related modules in 2008 (p. 190).

These are direct quotes from my essays on Automotive Technology.

Each manufacturer has there own way of controlling the electrical system; just as Windows, Mac, Linux, ect. are all different.

Installing a components could have adverse consequences. You may never have issues, which is awesome and I hope that doesn't happen.

For me, it's a risk I'm not willing to take.
You're writing detailed paragraph after paragraph, but we're talking a simple swap of a plug and play light bulb here. I get it, for you that's a "risk". For me and many others, it's a simple upgrade to improve nighttime visibility and match the white light of the DRL's.

Last edited:

Civic17siYAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
One of my stock headlights burnt out after 35k miles. Super reliable indeed.

Also, if you were to choose an LED that uses the same voltage etc how is that any different than the stock? Makes zero difference, doesn't add strain to the stock electrical system and I'd be willing to bet the ecu does not see any difference. I do respect your opinion on keeping it stock for reliability, but to state that you should NEVER swap anything over from stock because it becomes less reliable is spreading false information.

Now if you said, make sure the voltage etc lines up and to not get ebay trash then yeah awesome. I have yet to see any car that is balanced so precisely that swapping simple parts destroys said balence and makes it unreliable. (Excluding high performance vehicles)
Sponsored

Last edited: