Please read! Verified A/C issue with 1.5L

jjanders1979

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A car
Country flag
Hi - im considering a new 2020 sport touring hatch and stumbled across this thread. Is this still an issue with new 2020? The recall seems specific to 2016-2018, not sure if anything has changed with the part/design or if this is still an issue, want to take that into account as i weigh different makes/models. Thanks.
Sponsored

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Hi - im considering a new 2020 sport touring hatch and stumbled across this thread. Is this still an issue with new 2020? The recall seems specific to 2016-2018, not sure if anything has changed with the part/design or if this is still an issue, want to take that into account as i weigh different makes/models. Thanks.
It takes about three years for the refrigerant to leak out. My 2018, bought new in October 2017, just leaked out about a month ago. In about a year, we will know if the 2019s have been fixed.

For the 2019s, Honda probably either changed suppliers for the condensor or forced the original supplier to improve their quality control, but we won't know for sure for another year.

On the other hand, there are also problems with many of the compressors and other parts that leak refrigerant. In the past, Honda's aircon systems would often last 20 years or more without major repairs needed. Don't expect the 2020 Civic's aircon system to last anywhere near that long. Myself, I will only buy Toyotas from now on.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
In the past, Honda's aircon systems would often last 20 years or more without major repairs needed. Don't expect the 2020 Civic's aircon system to last anywhere near that long.
How I wish we still have that quality from the past. Nowadays, they’re disposable. Mine broke down too 3 years after.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag

Says the guy who got rid of his Hondas for their poor quality.

For the first time in over a decade, I am no longer a Honda automobile owner. This evening, I traded my 2019 Ridgeline RTL-E for a 2020 Mazda CX-5 Signature.

What set this in motion was when the transmission in my 2019 Ridgeline failed at 14,000 miles. I provided a long list of other issues for the dealer to address while it was there. They fixed a few, dismissed some as "normal", and didn't fix some others.

Each of the 11 new Hondas I've purchased since 2006 has been more problematic than the last. I reached out to Honda and asked them to replace my 2019 lemon with a 2020. They refused. I later asked for them to pay for half of the trade difference. They refused again. I then asked what they were willing to offer to demonstrate their interest in retaining a loyal Honda customer. They robotically repeated "Honda will repair your vehicle per the terms and conditions of the warranty" as if from a script then stopped responding to my emails and phone calls.

I'll undoubtedly miss the utility of the Ridgeline, but I can't continue rewarding an automaker with declining quality who ignored my pleas for help.

I plan to remain active here. I still love the Ridgeline. I just didn't love MY last Ridgeline and I can't respect the company that made it because of the way they handled my case. This isn't the first time Honda slammed the door in my face - they did the same thing when the rear window spontaneously exploded in my 2007. My Ridgeline would have qualified for Texas Lemon Law based on the time spent being repaired, but the reality is that's a long, stressful process - it's easier just to move on. I got a fair trade value for the Ridgeline and employee pricing less rebates on the CX-5, so it didn't cost much to trade.

The Ridgeline has already been sold by a dealer in Dallas. I feel sorry for the next owner who will be faced with the problems it has and hope everything will be fixed under warranty to their satisfaction.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag

For the first time in over a decade, I am no longer a Honda automobile owner. This evening, I traded my 2019 Ridgeline RTL-E for a 2020 Mazda CX-5 Signature.

What set this in motion was when the transmission in my 2019 Ridgeline failed at 14,000 miles. I provided a long list of other issues for the dealer to address while it was there. They fixed a few, dismissed some as "normal", and didn't fix some others.

Each of the 11 new Hondas I've purchased since 2006 has been more problematic than the last. I reached out to Honda and asked them to replace my 2019 lemon with a 2020. They refused. I later asked for them to pay for half of the trade difference. They refused again. I then asked what they were willing to offer to demonstrate their interest in retaining a loyal Honda customer. They robotically repeated "Honda will repair your vehicle per the terms and conditions of the warranty" as if from a script then stopped responding to my emails and phone calls.

I'll undoubtedly miss the utility of the Ridgeline, but I can't continue rewarding an automaker with declining quality who ignored my pleas for help.

I plan to remain active here. I still love the Ridgeline. I just didn't love MY last Ridgeline and I can't respect the company that made it because of the way they handled my case. This isn't the first time Honda slammed the door in my face - they did the same thing when the rear window spontaneously exploded in my 2007. My Ridgeline would have qualified for Texas Lemon Law based on the time spent being repaired, but the reality is that's a long, stressful process - it's easier just to move on. I got a fair trade value for the Ridgeline and employee pricing less rebates on the CX-5, so it didn't cost much to trade.

The Ridgeline has already been sold by a dealer in Dallas. I feel sorry for the next owner who will be faced with the problems it has and hope everything will be fixed under warranty to their satisfaction.

Thanks for helping share my story!

Azjose86

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag

I'm with you on here. I've owned about 7 Hondas in my life and even bragged about Honda quality. I bought a 2018 Si and the quality of that car was just awful. I've never been so worried about what would break next on a car besides that one. Paint was so thin, ac issue, rattle issues. And honestly Honda dealerships as a whole are garbage when it comes to actually taking care of cars under warranty. I spent more time at a dealership in the year I owned that car that I have for all my previous cars.

I still own a 2013 Honda fit. But when it comes to getting rid of that one. I know I will not be looking at a Honda dealership.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
After all the cars I've owned and worked on over the years, I ended up selling my M3 for a CTR. There is no "perfect car", if there was they wouldn't need mechanics for that brand. Look at the same cars 100k miles later and check back. Our dealer is paired with a Toyota dealer, buddy works at the Subaru dealer across the street, they do NOTHING but heavy line all day long. Honda has minor problems compared to other brands, you guys just aren't looking behind the scenes like we are.

That Ridgeline trans is the first instance I've seen of that. Most of the V6 trans just have a weird acceleration judder which they released a TCM update for. I have yet to see any of the new model Ridgeline in for a trans replacement since they released. Most all the issues I've seen lately are 10th gen civic A/C related, which appear to be Denso not manufacturing properly and the new M.O.S.T system entertainment CAN lines.

I've put everyone of my family in a Honda because as a tech, I never want to work on their cars lol.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That Ridgeline trans is the first instance I've seen of that. Most of the V6 trans just have a weird acceleration judder which they released a TCM update for. I have yet to see any of the new model Ridgeline in for a trans replacement since they released. Most all the issues I've seen lately are 10th gen civic A/C related, which appear to be Denso not manufacturing properly and the new M.O.S.T system entertainment CAN lines.

I've put everyone of my family in a Honda because as a tech, I never want to work on their cars lol.
I invite you to read this thread at the Ridgeline Owners Club. The number of transmission replacements in reported is currently at 18. That's not counting the number of torque converter replacements, valve body replacements, or TCC judder.

Then, there's the fuel injector epidemic that Honda says is caused by "manufacturing debris" that is causing hundreds, if not thousands, of fuel injector failures in Pilots, Ridgelines, and Odysseys.

A/C issues in the Ridgeline, too, caused by a leaking O-ring in the receiver/drier. Backup camera failures caused by failed tailgate wiring harness. Water leaks. Hood skin separation due to adhesive failure. Failed active motor mounts causing noise/vibration when VCM is active. Brake judder. Fuel odor. Paint/fit/finish issues. I could go on and on.

For years, I tried to convert my friends and family to Honda. When my Hondas started spending more time in the shop than their Fords and Chevrolets, it was time to leave the brand.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
For years, I tried to convert my friends and family to Honda. When my Hondas started spending more time in the shop than their Fords and Chevrolets, it was time to leave the brand.
Such a shame that Honda’s quality has gone down the drain unlike the previous gens that were really durable. It’s only a wishful thinking that they’ll be like that again in the future.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Such a shame that Honda’s quality has gone down the drain unlike the previous gens that were really durable. It’s only a wishful thinking that they’ll be like that again in the future.
It'll be interesting to see how Honda's new alliance with GM will affect the quality of both brands.

It looks like we'll be seeing models and more features co-developed by the two companies. On the surface, one might assume that Honda will help GM as much as GM hurts Honda, but only time will tell. GM's quality has improved over the years while Honda's has fallen - they both hover around "average" these days.

So, who's winning the quality game these days? Mazda, Lexus, and Hyundai to name a few. Mazda, in particular, is doing well. They remind me a lot of the "old school Honda" that I fell in love with. All automakers' sales have been down during the pandemic, but Mazda's sales have fallen the least. The CX-5 is gaining market share and the MX-5 is the most reliable (and least practical, ha!) automobile money can buy today. Lexus has long had a reputation for quality, but you pay for it. And, I never thought I'd see Hyundai in this list. Their standard 5/60 "bumper-to-bumper" and 10/100 powertrain warranties suggest their confidence in their products. They can't build Palisade and Telluride models fast enough.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
I invite you to read this thread at the Ridgeline Owners Club. The number of transmission replacements in reported is currently at 18. That's not counting the number of torque converter replacements, valve body replacements, or TCC judder.
18 units out of 35k sold in 2018 in north america, pretty good failure rate if you ask me. Honda came out with a TSB that most of these trans/torque converter failures were being incorrectly diagnosed and was addressed by the engineering department. ATF fluid temps were prematurely deteriorating the fluid. Fix is to do an ATF flush and pcm update to allow the trans to run cooler. Injector replacements have been very few, talk to subaru/toyota about their injector quality, at least ours aren't coming apart and taking out entire engines.

All cars have problems. Hate to break it to you, but your 2020 Mazda CX5 currently has 18 pending TSBs, everything from A/C failures to leaking water pumps, tapping noises from the engine due to hydraulic timing chain tensioner failure, PAINT/FIT/FINISH issues, gauge cluster concerns, P2610 codes the list goes on. Sorry your Ridgeline was a bust in your eyes, but the grass aint always greener.

Last edited:

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
18 units out of 35k sold in 2018 in north america, pretty good failure rate if you ask me. Honda came out with a TSB that most of these trans/torque converter failures were being incorrectly diagnosed and was addressed by the engineering department. ATF fluid temps were prematurely deteriorating the fluid. Fix is to do an ATF flush and pcm update to allow the trans to run cooler. Injector replacements have been very few, talk to subaru/toyota about their injector quality, at least ours aren't coming apart and taking out entire engines.

All cars have problems. Hate to break it to you, but your 2020 Mazda CX5 currently has 18 pending TSBs, everything from A/C failures to leaking water pumps, tapping noises from the engine, PAINT/FIT/FINISH issues, gauge cluster concerns, P2610 codes the list goes on. Sorry your Ridgeline was a bust in your eyes, but the grass aint always greener.
I grew up in a family of mechanics. I've owned 31 automobiles in the same number of years - 11 of those since 2006 were new Hondas. I've been active on various automotive forums on a daily basis since the days of Usenet newsgroups and dial-up modems in the mid-1990s. As a part-time automotive writer, I evaluate dozens of different automobiles from different manufacturers each year and network with fellow journalists and manufacturer reps. This is in addition to my full-time job as a mechanical and electric engineer for an industrial heating equipment manufacturer that serves many industries including automakers and their suppliers. I can legally buy R-12 and have performed all my own maintenance and out-of-warranty repairs since I got my first new motorcycle when I was nine years old.

I'm very familiar with the Ridgeline and its issues - I've spent several hours per day for the last 12 years on the Ridgeline forum during which time I've owned five Ridgelines ('07 and '10 RTL, '14 SE, and '17 and '19 RTL-E). I've watched them being built in Lincoln, Alabama and have had personal conversations with Gary Flint (the Large Project Leader and Chief Engineer or "father" of the Ridgeline, if you will).

Of all people, I fully realize that no automobile is without flaws. I respect your defense of the Honda brand - I did the same thing for years. Even when I began seeing signs of Honda's decline, I voluntarily and staunchly defended their products. Had the 2019 Ridgeline RTL-E been the only Honda I had significant problems with, I might still be a Honda customer. Unfortunately, I also had significant problems with a 2019 RDX Advance, 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T, and 2017 Ridgeline RTL-E. My other Hondas from a 2006 Accord EX-L to a 2016 CR-V Touring and my 1982 to 2019 Honda motorcycles were shining examples of Honda's historic reputation for reliability.

My 2019 Ridgeline was a lemon as defined by Texas law, but I know it takes time and effort to go through arbitration and the legal process. Considering I personally spent nearly $400,000 buying Honda automobiles and advocating their products over the years, I was willing to give them a chance to restore my confidence in the brand by covering half of the $10,000 it would have cost to trade my 2019 Ridgeline lemon for a 2020 Ridgeline. I could have easily paid the full $10,000 difference myself, so this request was made on principle. They not only refused to offer any assistance whatsoever to get me into another Ridgeline (I even offered to sign an NDA), but stopped responding to my calls and emails altogether.

After the last unsuccessful repair attempt on my 2019 Ridgeline and Honda slamming the door in my face and turning off the porch light, I decided that was enough. I would no longer reward a company who demonstrated absolutely zero interest in retaining my loyalty. I even wrote them a six-page letter detailing my 14 years of experience with Honda which they acknowledge the receipt of, but never responded to - not even with an apology. Am I still interested in Honda? Yes - that's why I continue to expand my knowledge of their products. I enjoy helping others. Will I ever buy another or recommend a Honda? Not unless they do something to turn my situation around which appears unlikely at this point. I don't have a tree that grows money, but I'm comfortable. I'm not married to any one automaker and can afford to choose virtually any automobile from any manufacturer at any time. For years, I chose Hondas because they were practical, reliable, and had great resale value (which is very important to me because I trade often). The Honda of today is not the same Honda I fell in love with in the 1990s and 2000s.

I don't idolize my CX-5. It just happens to be my daily driver until I move on to something else. Admittedly, I'm pleasantly surprised that I haven't found a single cosmetic or mechanical defect with it or the MX-5 which have both been as perfect as automobiles can be. Their assembly quality and attention to detail remind me of how Honda used to be. As I said, I trade often, so long-term reliability is less important to me. However, I avoid dealerships like the plague for a number of reasons with which I'm sure you are familiar, so short-term reliability (no warranty repairs) is important. Resale value is appreciated, too. Also, I trust that you realize a TSB doesn’t mean a problem will happen - it’s simply information to help technicians solve a problem that may happen. And, not all TSBs apply to all of a particular model year, but you know that, too.

Regarding your comment about "only" 18 transmission replacements out of 35,000 Ridgelines sold, let's look at that a bit more deeply. On the surface, that appears to be a 0.05% failure rate which would be closer to acceptable. However, that's 18 transmission replacements reported on a single forum of which not all Ridgeline owners are members. Based on the total number of Ridgelines sold since 2006 and the number of members on the Ridgeline Owners Club forum, we can estimate that the only about 1 out of 20 Ridgeline owners is member of that forum. Those 18 transmission replacements reported on the forum can suddenly becomes 360 when you include failures not reported on the forum or nearly a 1% failure rate. That’s not good.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What if I told you that 2020 Toyota Corolla is the first MY to use the 1234yf refrigerant? We'll see how this goes....
This conversation stated when someone said, "Don't expect the 2020 Civic's aircon system to last anywhere near that long. Myself, I will only buy Toyotas from now on."

I think it's pretty safe to assume a 2020 Toyota Corolla is an alternative to a 2020 Honda Civic.

As far as Toyota in general, it appears they started using R-1234yf on US models in 2016 beginning with the Tacoma, Prius Plus, GS 250, NX300H, GS 450 H, RC F, and LS.
Sponsored

Last edited: