Oxenham1

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Please read! Verified A/C issue with 1.5L IMG_20200602_153344

Same problem with my 2019 civic, 10 months old with 22000km. Dealer says its road damge and not covered. Wants 1300 cad to fix it. Dont really know what to do, as clearly "road damage" could happen again as soon as the drive home from the repair. I told them I dont want it anymore, as cleay this has the potential to be a monthly repair of $1300 for the rest of my life. I doubt they are going to do anything though....

Honda Civic 10th gen Please read! Verified A/C issue with 1.5L IMG_20200602_153344

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
IMG_20200602_153344.jpg

Same problem with my 2019 civic, 10 months old with 22000km. Dealer says its road damge and not covered. Wants 1300 cad to fix it. Dont really know what to do, as clearly "road damage" could happen again as soon as the drive home from the repair. I told them I dont want it anymore, as cleay this has the potential to be a monthly repair of $1300 for the rest of my life. I doubt they are going to do anything though....

IMG_20200602_153344.jpg
Yeah that’s the issue I had. With Covid being a thing I’m WFH for now as my company said everyone remote till oct but I’m going to try the gutter guard mod to my bumper. The issue is I need the metal mesh stuff to do it. I tried with plastic and it doesn’t work since you have to cut it larger than the hole and zip tie it to the bars on the bumper. The metal stuff works as it doesn’t flex

Oxenham1

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic
Country flag
Im going to look at the black mesh for gutters. Its fairly thick, and should have decent airflow, with lots of debris diversion. But, still am going to try to get honda to cover the repair. The fins are barely bent, so id like them to show me why its road damage, and from what. My 2014 caravans fins are in waaaaaaaay worse shape from road debris, and ive never had the ac serviced. I know this isnt road damage, but gotta try and make my case! Unless its made from blown glass, it shouldnt be this fragile...

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
I am new to this forum but I was reading a lot here for quite a bit for research and information.

Man, this whole airconditioning issue is really ridiculous. My 2017 Sport Hatch with 40,200 miles is not blowing cold air anymore. I brought it to Burns Honda at Marlton, NJ for an aircon and brake diagnostic since I am hearing a ticking noise at the front driver side wheel area.

So they checked everything and they told me that both compressor and condenser are leaking. Both parts are also back ordered and they will call me as soon as it arrives. My sevice advisor said that the first generation models of the 10th gen civic had notable problems with the A/C due to the new refrigerant and told me that the newest condenser is a lot better than the older one. I told her that I was reading a lot of posts in different forums regarding this concern.

Now here comes the bad part. The condenser will cost me $656.03 and the compressor is at $1491.08, shop charges at $14.00, and tax at $147.51 bringing it to a total of $2308.62 without the labor included.

It is such a shame that we the consumers have to suffer like this because of poor quality parts. I started to loose my interest with the Honda brand since I am really a follower and a fan of them after this problem happened. Once the dust settles down, I am looking forward to just trade my car in and get a different brand.

Oxenham1

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic
Country flag
I am new to this forum but I was reading a lot here for quite a bit for research and information.

Man, this whole airconditioning issue is really ridiculous. My 2017 Sport Hatch with 40,200 miles is not blowing cold air anymore. I brought it to Burns Honda at Marlton, NJ for an aircon and brake diagnostic since I am hearing a ticking noise at the front driver side wheel area.

So they checked everything and they told me that both compressor and condenser are leaking. Both parts are also back ordered and they will call me as soon as it arrives. My sevice advisor said that the first generation models of the 10th gen civic had notable problems with the A/C due to the new refrigerant and told me that the newest condenser is a lot better than the older one. I told her that I was reading a lot of posts in different forums regarding this concern.

Now here comes the bad part. The condenser will cost me $656.03 and the compressor is at $1491.08, shop charges at $14.00, and tax at $147.51 bringing it to a total of $2308.62 without the labor included.

It is such a shame that we the consumers have to suffer like this because of poor quality parts. I started to loose my interest with the Honda brand since I am really a follower and a fan of them after this problem happened. Once the dust settles down, I am looking forward to just trade my car in and get a different brand.
:(

Azjose86

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
I had the ac issue with my 2018 si. At 12k miles it started to blow cool, but not cold. Living in Phoenix, you will notice right away when you have an ac issue. Took it in and they said it was a gasket where line connects to compressor that wasn't installed properly and allowing freon to leak slowly. Kept the car and sold it 8 months later and didn't have the issue again. But these cars are nothing but trouble. Honda should be ashamed of themselves at the quality of car they are putting out.

2nd week of owning the car, I start to hear buzzing noises coming From passenger side. 2 trips and they couldn't figure out the issue. I got fed up and started taking things apart and sounded like a loose screw inside the seat belt from passenger side. Took it back and told them where the issue was and they said "oh, you're right l see the issue now".

Paint is weak as heck. Car front was plastered with rock chips. Somehow I had rock chips on the quarter panel. Paint would scratch just by looking at it..

Motor for passenger window went out.

Car had 20k miles when I sold it. I can't see that car lasting 100k miles without major work needed.

It's going to be a very long time before I even consider to buy another Honda. It's a shame because this was my 6th Honda and worst I've ever owned

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si

There's an extended warranty on the condenser, I would ask them about that. You're out of luck with the compressor though.

Oxenham1

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic
Country flag
There's an extended warranty on the condenser, I would ask them about that. You're out of luck with the compressor though.
Unless they deem any leak as "road damage" then no warranty :(

kcao888

First Name
keny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic, 2019 Accord
Country flag
Good luck getting the Honda to accept your recall. I took my 2016 civic to the dealership for the AC recall. My civic is currently blowing cold on the passenger side and warm on the driver side vents so i know its leaking freon. The dealership charged me a 159.00 diagnose fee and if they find the fault to be the AC condenser then it will be warranty but of course they found a small leak near the AC compressor... At the end of the day, I paid 1,200 to replace the AC compressor and tensioner. Unfortunately outside shops don't have the correct equipment to recharge the freon. What a recall scam to bring loyal customers into the dealership to be up-sold.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Only rip-off was charging diagnosis fee - that should have been FREE as part of the recall.
As your problem was not the condenser, and you were out of warranty (specifically 12 mo/12,000 miles for AC issues) it was truly your problem.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
As your problem was not the condenser, and you were out of warranty (specifically 12 mo/12,000 miles for AC issues) it was truly your problem.
I'm sorry your civic's "AC issues" are only covered for "specifically 12 mo/12,000 miles." Maybe it's because in your car the AC components are not mounted between the bumpers. :p Smart move by Honda.:rofl:

My AC is covered for 36 mo/36,000 miles against defects "in materials or workmanship." What's more, the "refrigerant is covered for 24 mo/24,000 miles." And it's covered for the full 36/36, if it's required as a part of a warranty repair.

1.5T_174

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T CVT w/Sensing
Country flag
I have 2017 Civic EX-T 4DR which started experiencing AC problem - it's not blowing cold air at all.
I did some reading online and performed following checks

1. Checked if compressors engaging when AC is turned ON - it's NOT engaging at all
2. Checked fuse and relay in engine bay area - fuse is OK, relay has no rattle/moving parts, and thus seems OK
3. Checked condenser (basic visual inspection from front side) - don't see any big rock damage, only small bugs. Also, there is no black/oily accumulation on condenser
4. Checked compressor (basic visual inspection near inlet and outlet) - don't see any black/oily accumulation near inlet/outlet
5. Checked rest of the tubing - not sure if there is a problem with tubing and wanted opinion
Near the engine coolant tank, there is a high and low pressure line junction. I am seeing some black/oily accumulation in that region (please refer photographs)

Is this abnormal? Can someone with working AC post photographs?

Honda Civic 10th gen Please read! Verified A/C issue with 1.5L IMG_3526.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Please read! Verified A/C issue with 1.5L WhatsApp Image 2020-06-17 at 5.41.27 PM

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
2017 Si Sedan with about 39k miles. My compressor died last week during a heatwave. So that was fun. Dealer replaced it this weekend. Only cost me the time it took to drop off the car and pick it up. Of course I returned the car to stock before bringing it back to the dealer. Glad the TSB and/or warranty covered handled the repair.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm sorry your civic's "AC issues" are only covered for "specifically 12 mo/12,000 miles." Maybe it's because in your car the AC components are not mounted between the bumpers. :p Smart move by Honda.:rofl:

My AC is covered for 36 mo/36,000 miles against defects "in materials or workmanship." What's more, the "refrigerant is covered for 24 mo/24,000 miles." And it's covered for the full 36/36, if it's required as a part of a warranty repair.
Whoops - you're correct about the 36/36 and the 24/24 - however I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that poster's 2016 model the was out of even that range and thus not a warranty item.
Sponsored