Please read! Verified A/C issue with 1.5L

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You guys have found unicorns with your dealers lol. Mine is the only one within 50 miles of the next one and serves three states. They prey on the elderly/uninformed (I've seen it firsthand).

If I were to bring up the A/C issue to them they'd try to convince me my car's out of warranty or some BS just to avoid doing the work.
maybe it helps that I have 10 Honda Dealers in my metro and all within 30-40 minute drives.
Sponsored

Iris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX-P, 2007 Volvo S40
2016 Civic LX-P is a horrible car. I took it to the two dealers. They all claim there is nothing they can do about A/C. They also agree that it's not a good design for 2016 and 2017. It is Very slow to have cool air and never cool down the car. It remains 80-98F depend on outside temperature no matter driving in the city or highway with the A/C Lo and blow the highest although the vent blows 48-56F. It's my first Honda. I can't believe all the good things about Honda. For me, no Honda again!

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
2016 Civic LX-P is a horrible car. I took it to the two dealers. They all claim there is nothing they can do about A/C. They also agree that it's not a good design for 2016 and 2017. It is Very slow to have cool air and never cool down the car. It remains 80-98F depend on outside temperature no matter driving in the city or highway with the A/C Lo and blow the highest although the vent blows 48-56F. It's my first Honda. I can't believe all the good things about Honda. For me, no Honda again!
If there was a fundamental design flaw such as the system being undersized for the vehicle, all 2016-2017 Civics would exhibit poor cooling performance and that's clearly not the case. My brother's '16 Touring and my '17 Si cool just fine during the sunny, 90-100ºF Texas Summers.

Iris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If there was a fundamental design flaw such as the system being undersized for the vehicle, all 2016-2017 Civics would exhibit poor cooling performance and that's clearly not the case. My brother's '16 Touring and my '17 Si cool just fine during the sunny, 90-100ºF Texas Summers.
I doubt the same thing like you do. The dealer showed me 2017 Civic LX-P on their lot today. It's 90F outside. We got into the car. He turned the A/C on with Lo and the highest blow. It took about 15 seconds to have cool air and minutes to have cold air from vent. The lowest temperature from vent was 48F. But the temperature was about 80F at driver seat. He run the car over 10 mins. It didn't change much. The cooler, the closer to the vent regardless the back seat. Never went down to feel cooler or cold. He said that Civic 2016 and 2017 are not good design and low end. The fabric of the car and black interior won't help. This is the second dealer I went for the same issue. He seemed just try to convince me it's what it is. They can do nothing about it. I just have a hard time to accept it. I am a petite women. I usually feel cold easily. I can't imagine people driving the same model in other hot states or area if it's like their claims to be a bad and cheap design. By the way, my car has only 1650 miles. I always keep my car in the garage.

My common sense told me that it's not A/C issue since it does has cold air through the vent. The car must has some insulation or fans or something not correct so that the car won't be cooled down. It seems the car tries to cool the whole world down, LOL.....impossible. But they just keep looking at A/C and argue about it.

It's over 100F this weekend in SF Bay Area. Driving my car is like to have a sauna.

Last edited:

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
as well as 105-110 degree HI or Heat Index. it's like the Flash Point of oil as it relates to viscosity. et al.

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
There is a common recurring issue with the AC on these cars, typically being undercharged. Once they are evac'd and recharged many of them are working fine.

Mine was blowing around 48* and never cooling the car well on a 50 minute drive, they recharged it and now I have to turn the AC down after 10 mins or so as the car is too cold.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I doubt the same thing like you do. The dealer showed me 2017 Civic LX-P on their lot today. It's 90F outside. We got into the car. He turned the A/C on with Lo and the highest blow. It took about 15 seconds to have cool air and minutes to have cold air from vent. The lowest temperature from vent was 48F. But the temperature was about 80F at driver seat. He run the car over 10 mins. It didn't change much. The cooler, the closer to the vent regardless the back seat. Never went down to feel cooler or cold. He said that Civic 2016 and 2017 are not good design and low end. The fabric of the car and black interior won't help. This is the second dealer I went for the same issue. He seemed just try to convince me it's what it is. They can do nothing about it. I just have a hard time to accept it. I am a petite women. I usually feel cold easily. I can't imagine people driving the same model in other hot states or area if it's like their claims to be a bad and cheap design. By the way, my car has only 1650 miles. I always keep my car in the garage.

My common sense told me that it's not A/C issue since it does has cold air through the vent. The car must has some insulation or fans or something not correct so that the car won't be cooled down. It seems the car tries to cool the whole world down, LOL.....impossible. But they just keep looking at A/C and argue about it.

It's over 100F this weekend in SF Bay Area. Driving my car is like to have a sauna.
My 2017 Civic Si is my 9th Honda alongside a 2017 Ridgeline since my first Honda in 2006. I alternate driving between the two each week. I've owned the Civic for three months including August - the hottest month of the year. I've owned the Ridgeline for a year. All of these vehicles have had automatic climate control with the exception of a 2009 Honda Civic EX. I haven't noticed any significant difference in cooling between any of them. The 2017 Ridgeline is the slowest so far to begin heating, however - it takes significantly longer before the engine coolant temperature increases and the cabin begins heating (the heated seats are next to worthless as well, but the heated steering wheel works amazingly well).

As with most vehicles, there is very little thermal insulation used in the Civic. There's very little R-value in the plastic trim, moisture barriers, and sound barriers on the doors. The headliner has only a thin layer of foam and there's obviously a lot of single-pane glass, which is a poor thermal insulator and allows for plenty of radiated heat into the cabin even with ceramic tint and heat-rejecting glass. Most automotive A/C systems are large enough to cool an average 3-bedroom home!

Last edited:

johnc_22

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan - Touring - Cosmic Blue
Country flag
I need to get mine in to at least get it checked. It's felt sub-par since I got it, but of course reading this thread before my purchase made me hyper aware. My previous cars, in 90F+ with high humidity Atlanta summer weather, setting the A/C at about 75F would result in a completely comfortable cabin. In this car it's closer to 70F, and the cabin never really feels cool, just tolerable. I probably have about 1000 miles on the odometer now.

I've definitely never experienced a "too cold" situation with this car, but one person's comfort level is very subjective.

I did get the windows tinted a week ago but the car still doesn't cool like most modern vehicles I've owned.

Iris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2017 Civic Si is my 9th Honda alongside a 2017 Ridgeline since my first Honda in 2006. I alternate driving between the two each week. I've owned the Civic for three months including August - the hottest month of the year. I've owned the Ridgeline for a year. All of these vehicles have had automatic climate control with the exception of a 2009 Honda Civic EX. I haven't noticed any significant different in cooling between any of them. The 2017 Ridgeline is the slowest so far to begin heating, however - it takes significantly longer before the engine coolant temperature increases and the cabin begins heating (the heated seats are next to worthless as well, but the heated steering wheel works amazingly well).

As with most automotive applications, there is very little thermal insulation used in the Civic. There's very little R-value in the plastic trim, moisture barriers, and sound barriers on the doors. The headliner has only a thin layer of foam and there's obviously a lot of single-pane glass, which is a poor thermal insulator and allows for plenty of radiated heat into the cabin even with ceramic tint and heat-rejecting glass. Most automotive A/C systems are large enough to cool an average 3-bedroom home!
According to your experience and knowledge with Honda, it seems to me that 2016 and 2017 Civic LX-P are bad design and cheap made as dealers admit. I have 2016 with window tinted. Dealer tried 2017 same model at their lot. They perform the same with 48F through vent. The cabin remains 80F with 90F outside no matter how long to run the engine.

I would love to pay more to buy a better model if I knew Honda civic is such bad cooling system if it is true.

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
According to your experience and knowledge with Honda, it seems to me that 2016 and 2017 Civic LX-P are bad design and cheap made as dealers admit. I have 2016 with window tinted. Dealer tried 2017 same model at their lot. They perform the same with 48F through vent. The cabin remains 80F with 90F outside no matter how long to run the engine.

I would love to pay more to buy a better model if I knew Honda civic is such bad cooling system if it is true.
I think it has some issues but once mine was fixed it works excellent, It blows like 44 degrees and gets cold in my car almost immediately.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's a bunch of faulty compressors it sounds like as most of us have super cooling AC.

Iris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a bunch of faulty compressors it sounds like as most of us have super cooling AC.
The dealer said the compressor was fine under test. My car issue is the cabin won't cool down although A/C blows 48F. Very frustrated and regretted to buy this car!

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The dealer said the compressor was fine under test. My car issue is the cabin won't cool down although A/C blows 48F. Very frustrated and regretted to buy this car!
1. Make sure the system is in AUTO mode at the desired temperature so that it can make the most effective adjustments. It won't cool any faster in "Lo" than it will if set to, say, 68°.

2. Make sure that when the system is in recirculate mode, that the air is actually recirculating and not being drawn in from outside due to a mechanical problem with the recirculation mode door. To test this, lower one window about 1/2" and turn the fan on the highest speed. When recirculation mode is selected, you should not blowing out of the vehicle. When recirculation mode is off, you should feel air blowing out of the opening. If there is air blowing out of the window while in recirculation mode, the system is wastefully cooling down outside air rather than more efficiently cooling the already-cooled air inside the cabin.

Last edited:

Iris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1. Make sure the system is in AUTO mode at the desired temperature so that it can make the most effective adjustments. It won't cool any faster in "Lo" than it will if set to, say, 68°.

2. Make sure that when the system is in recirculate mode, that the air is actually recirculating and not being drawn in from outside due to a mechanical problem with the recirculation mode door. To test this, lower one window about 1/2" and turn the fan on the highest speed. When recirculation mode is selected, you should not blowing out of the vehicle. When recirculation mode is off, you should feel air blowing out of the opening. If there is air blowing out of the window while in recirculation mode, the system is wastefully cooling down outside air rather than more efficiently cooling the already-cooled air inside the cabin.
Thank you very much. Set up Auto mode at 65F and left the car out 40 mins about 100F outside. Start driving in the city with auto mode. Tested recirculation mode following your instruction. It works fine. It's 92F after 15mins driving inside the cabin. I will test it this weekend when driving longer distance. Thank you again and have a wonderful holiday!

mokylim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic LX-P
Country flag
just wanted to give you guys an update. picked up the car yesterday around 3 PM. they replaces the compressor and couple hoses as mentioned by the service tech. i purposely drove the 2-4 mile back home through side streets to force the car to drive to a crawl (rush hour). it will usually blow hot/warm air when the car sits in traffic or on a stop light 95% of the time (not an exaggeration), but that didn't happen on the way back. it was cold air all the way which surprised me and it was such a huge difference that i could tell right away. mind you this was at a 105 bay area weather, we had a heat advisory yesterday so i did expect it to display the problem if it still wasnt fixed.

even after that, i used the car to drive to a buddy house about 35 miles and not 1 time did it happen again. i will still keep an eye out if it will recur.not to mention i haven't tried the remote start if that got fixed also.

thanks for all the info in this thread. ill post the service receipt when i can get the chance.
Sponsored