First Name
Aleks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hello All,

Let me just start from the beginning! I bought my Si brand new in 2017, seemed like one of the best cars for the price range I was looking for. Everything was great until I wanted a little more power and a little better sound. I then bought an Injen cold air intake and loved the sound of it.

A few months later I started noticing my car starting to get harder and harder to turn on. The crank kept getting longer and longer. So I took it into Honda because I still had my warranty. They ended up replacing the starter, the engine on/off button, battery, spark plugs, then my head gasket started leaking oil. They replaced that too.

I thought that was the end of that, sure enough, crank is still there. Now I’m in a bit of a predicament. Should I take off the intake and put the OEM? Should I purchase the Hondata and flash my CPU?

Can you guys help as I kind of don’t want to replace my intake as I love the sound of it and would appreciate the more power/torque from the FlashPro. Is the FlashPro a good long-term investment? What is the best “settings” to use it for it?

Appreciate the help,
Thanks
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The Injen intake is absolute garbage and creates all kinds of fuel trim irregularities. If possible, remove is asap. It obviously has nothing to do with your electrical issues, but it may have contributed to your mechanical ones.

Personally, I'd go back to the stock intake and get a KTuner or Hondata and have some real performance gains.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Injen CAI cause problems to fuel trims and also require a tune to run. I’m pretty sure if you replace to the OEM one your issue will be gone

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
As others have said, the Injen is doodoo. Replace it with something better and keep the sound you love.

Oh and man good on your dealer for doing all that work on a modded engine where the mod actually probably is the issue.

Last edited:

OP
OP

Aleks

First Name
Aleks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Wow had no idea it was that bad. Will definitely be taking it off. Which intake do you guys recommend? Followed by what kind of tune?
Thank you all so much for your input!

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Wow had no idea it was that bad. Will definitely be taking it off. Which intake do you guys recommend? Followed by what kind of tune?
• PRL CAI
- Race: needs a tune (ktuner & hondata both provide one in their base tunes)... this is what I have highly recommend and love it!
- Street: no tune needed
• 27won CAI
- I think they now have a race MAF that will need a tune

...if you want carb legal..
• Mishimoto (Im pretty sure it doesn’t need a tune since it’s carb legal, but I could be wrong)

..and for a tune I highly recommend TSP Stage 1 tune, it’s way better than the base map tunes as it gives the car a little more “pep”, but now I’m on hondata’s +6 psi flex fuel tune.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
What, exactly, is wrong with the stock intake? It's been shown time and time again that the stock intake is actually very good, and that aftermarket intakes principally pull in hot air.
I agree. For most people it's the sound, especially those heat soaking SRIs. In my younger days, I had many aftermarket intakes and they do sound sweet. These days, I use the stock air box with a PRL intake hose/aFe performance drop-in combo. That, plus a tune and I've got a stealthy sleeper.

Michael's FC2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX sedan
Country flag
As bad as the intake can be, I find it really hard to believe that it's intake causing this issue. if I were you I'd take it back to Honda and tell them to figure it out again. as they did not figure it out the first time. Like maybe if your filter on the intake was super super dirty then maybe, but still I don't find that causing the issue... there is definitely something else going on with the car that has nothing to do with your intake. It's just a complete coincidence.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
I would say you might have a lemon.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag

Michael's FC2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX sedan
Country flag
On the Fiesta 1.0L turbo 3-cyl I had just before my Civic, I put an AEM intake on. It was a tube with a cone that snaked down really low on the front of the car to try and draw in fresh air from the ground.

Instead, in the summer it drew all the hot air off the pavement. The car ran like shit in the summer and it would only get better with 93 octane. The intake air was so hot that the ECU couldn't pull timing hard enough to compensate.

I put the shitty, fully enclosed Ford box back on, and wouldn't you know it, it ran like a champ on 87 again.

Intakes make a huge difference, and with strict fuel economy standards, manufacturers aren't leaving a ton of horsepower on the table anymore with cheap to manufacture, restrictive intakes. They need to squeeze all the performance they can out of cars so that they're more efficient and use less gas. I absolutely believe that the Injen is OP's problem, and all his problems will immediately go away when he puts the Honda intake back on.
Well... There's only one way to find out. He already said he's taking it off. I'm sure he'll let us know if that was the issue or not.

OP
OP

Aleks

First Name
Aleks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Alright guys, I’ve taken it off last night. (What a pain) will keep you guys updated on what’s going on and if I still have the issue.

Praying I wasn’t sold a lemon but we will soon find out. :)

Pbergmann

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic sedan EX-L
Country flag
Stock ones work great and don't cause problems. Just return it to stock.

OP
OP

Aleks

First Name
Aleks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Alright guys, thank you all for your help! I was able to take off the intake on Monday morning. Tried it Monday afternoon it turned on faster than ever. Unfortunately, tried it again on Wednesday and there was a pretty bad crank again. Tried it again this afternoon and sure enough, crank is back. This time longer than before.

I called Honda here in the valley (Salt Lake) and they told me to bring it in and they will run diagnostics on it. Preaching they never seen this before and ensuring that I wasn’t sold a “lemon”.

This is incredibly frustrating from my point of view as they literally replaced everything I can think of to no avail. I just crossed 20k miles and have no idea how to move forward. Sell? Trade in? Kind of stuck.

Appreciate all your guys help!
Sponsored