First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2015 Silverado, 2007 Rabbit
Country flag
Heavens to Betsy I hope not!
No, when you pull off the plastic housing on the EPB at the caliper you have the top of a large Torx that you can manually retract the brake with.
I have never come across a male Torx before and was not even aware that female Torx existed.
I'd rather just grab the one size I need rather a whole set of them.
Thanks
Sponsored

Sil98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Type R, '08 Kia Sorento, '03 WRX, '97 Del Sol Si, '90 Supercharged TA
Country flag
Heavens to Betsy I hope not!
No, when you pull off the plastic housing on the EPB at the caliper you have the top of a large Torx that you can manually retract the brake with.
I have never come across a male Torx before and was not even aware that female Torx existed.
I'd rather just grab the one size I need rather a whole set of them.
Thanks
Refer to Post #25.

Rasy

First Name
Rasy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW #15337
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just did this on Monday!
Does anyone know the correct size Torx socket for the retraction screw?
We used a pair of channel locks but I'd rather not do that again.
Thanks
The correct female torx socket you need is E11. I had to buy mine as a set, and once I used it, I didn't even need a rachet to turn it.

JESFromASC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2015 Silverado, 2007 Rabbit
Country flag
Yep!
I got it in a 3/8 drive to go on a thumb-ratchet I have.
Should be the perfect solution.
$14.95 beats $449.95.
I'll grab a picture when it arrives.

Pictures:
The thumb ratchet is certainly not required but since I have it I would think it would be about perfect for the job. Don't forget a very light smear of grease on those O-rings.

Honda Civic 10th gen Please help - Rear Brake Pads - How to Retract the Caliper Piston 20191208_092803

Honda Civic 10th gen Please help - Rear Brake Pads - How to Retract the Caliper Piston 20191208_092817

Last edited:

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I changed mine this weekend with hawk pc which seem a little thick. Low and behold my car thinks the parking brake is on when it's not. I spun the torx spindle with just linemens pliers since there is little to no resistance. I tried spinning the piston by hand but it didn't do anything to retract it, so I just squeezed it down with my fingers. The error I think I made was once the new pads were in (caliper didn't fight me going back on, fit easily) I spun the torx slightly counter clockwise. The wheels had a little bit of resistance to them.

After work I'm going to take them apart and recompress but this time don't mess with the spindle after it's turned all the way to the right. I'll make sure to start it up and pump the brakes a few times before taking it down off the Jack stands.

For some reason even with the car in gear you can still easily turn the wheel by hand which doesn't make sense. So the car would roll away as soon as I sat the front end down

Edit: Got it fixed. no more death by beeping.

Last edited:

J o n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Z/28, '22 Ridgeline , '22 CR-V Hybrid
Country flag
To whomever is struggling with the rear brakes, there is no electronic or specialty tools needed. Just unplug electrical connection on caliper (for following steps), use a 7mm hex socket, unbolt lower portion of caliper. Rotate the caliper upward, pivoting on the upper remaining attached slide-bolt. Use needle nose pliers to turn the piston in clockwise.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
Rear pads actually took less time to replace than removing the wheels lol.

I have a x431pro got it in 17 so this car is covered. Lot of features for sure .

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can someone confirm the tool size to use from the picture below for CTR rear brake caliper piston? I’ve heard K2, #6, and #5. Just want some clarification. Thanks.

Honda Civic 10th gen Please help - Rear Brake Pads - How to Retract the Caliper Piston 041BD1DF-A36B-4092-9255-A59E6EF2F77A

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Can someone confirm the tool size to use from the picture below for CTR rear brake caliper piston? I’ve heard K2, #6, and #5. Just want some clarification. Thanks.
My set has more bits, but it looks like the same numbering. I'm using the "RH' thread handle, "1" against the fixed side of the caliper, and "6" against the piston.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My set has more bits, but it looks like the same numbering. I'm using the "RH' thread handle, "1" against the fixed side of the caliper, and "6" against the piston.
Thanks, I asked because I bought a smaller set years ago without the K2 bit mentioned in my question. I needed someone to verify because I didn't want to start removing the rear brakes without the proper tool. Thanks again!

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi Alan,
I used the K2 head when the one time I did it.

Thanks, I asked because I bought a smaller set years ago without the K2 bit mentioned in my question. I needed someone to verify because I didn't want to start removing the rear brakes without the proper tool. Thanks again!

Rasy

First Name
Rasy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW #15337
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi! Can you tell me where is this torx bolt?

That’s the electronic parking brake housing. You have to remove (unbolt) they first and it’ll expose the torx bolt.

Just remember to fully read the Honda instructions mentioned earlier in this thread, like turning off the electronic parking brake before you start any of this work.

J o n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Z/28, '22 Ridgeline , '22 CR-V Hybrid
Country flag
To whomever is struggling with the rear brakes, there is no electronic or specialty tools needed. Just unplug electrical connection on caliper (for following steps), use a 7mm hex socket, unbolt lower portion of caliper. Rotate the caliper upward, pivoting on the upper remaining attached slide-bolt. Use needle nose pliers to turn the piston in clockwise.
This is all that is needed... Same process and simplicity of Hondas for decades. Don't over complicate it

ElpacoSV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6 ; Civic FK7G4
Country flag
Thanks! And tell me...to take this housing of, I need to unscrew th 2 Allen bolts that we see in the picture?
Sponsored