PLEASE HELP POSSIBLE HEADGASKET

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thickness of the MAP spacer vs ARP washer (a set of 10 came in the stud kit).

Honda Civic 10th gen PLEASE HELP POSSIBLE HEADGASKET 20210614_132824
Honda Civic 10th gen PLEASE HELP POSSIBLE HEADGASKET 20210614_132747

I'd much rather pay for the machined and chamfered spacers than stack 4 washers. Feels jank.

OP
OP
NicKoLi

NicKoLi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Guys What is a fair prices and amount of hours for this job? A performance shop quoted me 18 hours plus machining the head and parts. Honda quoted me 12-15 hours and around 2500-2900.

The performance shop insists thats what the book calls for in hours.

How much should I be trying to pay ? where should I go honda or a performance shop ?

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Now I don't know if I should go oem gasket or not lol, everything I read said to go oem. This is also my main source of transportation I really dont want it sitting for months. Im still learning but I would also think the head studs are the weak point.

Side not the tuning shop im going to says that these heads require more hours to pull does that sound accurate? I need to sort this out quickly if I want to be driving this summer lol.

I also heard previously in this post that the maperformance kit seems like a sturdier set because some poeple still reported head lift with the stacked washers. I mean if its a difference of a hundred bucks I would rather be safe.
The cometic is better. Is the OEM good enough with studs? Maybe. It definitely isn't without.

Who reported lift with the ARP studs with washer stack? I'd like to read into that.

The spacers are m10 id x .850 od x .500 thick. You want the hardest steel reasonable possible so 440c is super hard and $22 on Amazon. I'll turn and ship them for $100 tolerance +-.002
Honda Civic 10th gen PLEASE HELP POSSIBLE HEADGASKET IMG_20210225_123205

OP
OP
NicKoLi

NicKoLi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
The cometic is better. Is the OEM good enough with studs? Maybe. It definitely isn't without.

Who reported lift with the ARP studs with washer stack? I'd like to read into that.

The spacers are m10 id x .850 od x .500 thick. You want the hardest steel reasonable possible so 440c is super hard and $22 on Amazon. I'll turn and ship them for $100 tolerance +-.002
IMG_20210225_123205.jpg
I would rather just get my discount with maperformance and call it a day, but I see your point there just spacers.

OP
OP
NicKoLi

NicKoLi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
OP
OP
NicKoLi

NicKoLi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
maperformance has the cometic ones in stock should I get those? and again whats a fair quote I could expect to pay for the head gasket job. I know it does not take 18 hours

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
maperformance has the cometic ones in stock should I get those? and again whats a fair quote I could expect to pay for the head gasket job. I know it does not take 18 hours
cometic are made to order min wait 4-6 weeks, i'm still waiting for mine for abt 2 mths now since covid. but never hurts to try to ask though.

Syphrus

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2012 mazda3, 2003 Chevy 2500H
Country flag
The wrx cold start was the kicker for me. It made perfect sense. I ran it hard(on stock tune) and dropped endoscope in it. Sure enough. I'd say if the misfire is a thing + wrx cold start, it's head gasket. I'm pulling my engine to do mine to give more room(I'm doing clutch as well, so makes more sense to me) I can't imagine paying 2500 to have this done. But I did pay the $$ for the maperformance arp studs. That's a lot of money, but not enough to warrant me machining my own spacers to save 100 bucks. Also, after much debate, I went OEM gasket. Mostly just because it comes in a kit with other needed gaskets. Given how these gaskets are blowing and the symptoms, it's more head lift then gasket failure, meaning it's more the head studs than the oem gasket. Fingers crossed. Best of luck to us both. ?

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With the hayabusa studs we should use a total of two washers per stud. This is what I’m doing but honestly I am not yet at that point in my build. I don’t know why MAP spacer is so big, maybe a different stud?

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
With the hayabusa studs we should use a total of two washers per stud. This is what I’m doing but honestly I am not yet at that point in my build. I don’t know why MAP spacer is so big, maybe a different stud?
The MAP kit is also using busa studs, where is the two washers figure from? And is that using 60 ft lb still?

Syphrus

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2012 mazda3, 2003 Chevy 2500H
Country flag
I remember seeing a post of someone having issues stacking washers, and their theory was "maybe I needed more washers" not talking down on the idea, but maybe thats why the m.a. spacers are that thick.