NicKoLi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Hi everyone , and thanks in advance for any help I may recieve. My car is FBO with RV6 turbo running e-35 on a tune by drob. My problem initially began in the winter with the car sputtering and breaking up/ spitting when I really got on it. I changed the plugs and gapped them to .026 and that seemed to do the trick. Quite some time goes by and it started sputtering the time at the top end of 4th and 5th gear. I noticed maybe two inches of coolant missing from the resivour but it was already below the minimum line so after forgetting for a few days I filled it up. It sounds like a subaru for a bit when it starts up. Now it seems to be breaking up all over the place. I took a log but drob is on vacation. Im terrified that something is really wrong. I could have been driving it with low coolant for a while, but not insanely low. I have to wait a few days to get a leakdown test ,but I was going to go and get a combustion leak tester kit to try and start there. PLEASE HELP!
Sponsored

kultofkek

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI, 2003 Honda CRV
Country flag
sounds like a lifted head....get those ARP studs and washers

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
How much boost are you running?

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SGP Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
misfiring + missing coolant, that is for sure a cyl head seal issue

OP
OP
NicKoLi

NicKoLi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I just looked at the data log and misfire on cylinder three is wayyy higher then the other cylinders. The coolant was already low and I didnt really watch it like I should. Is there anyway this could be anything else? I was going to do a combustion leak test, since I heard leakdowns and compression tests dont really work well on these cars.

OP
OP
NicKoLi

NicKoLi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Misfire on cylinder three goes up to 84. cylinder 4 goes to about 12 and the rest are at zero and one.

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
You built bottom end ? Usually from what ik from the forums it’s head gasket issue but then also there’s people who had that issue and dooomm the motor blows

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
so a head gasket ?
Yes most likely. Take out your plugs and check if there's coolant in the cylinders since you were missing coolant.

OP
OP
NicKoLi

NicKoLi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Are the cylinders in a row one through four? I looked at the third one from the left im assuming thats cylinder three it looked very lightly damp at the most. Again the coolant was kind of low so I dont know if that was like that before. I just checked it again and it was gurlging a bit after rocking the car a little bit. I was going to move coils around and look in all the plugs... Any other advice. Apparently leak tests and compression tests dont work well on this car, they appear normal

boibuddha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pull all the plugs and compare them. The cylinder with the leak will look cleaner than the others, same goes for the plug itself.

You can get the coolant tested as well for exhaust gases. Most parts store should have that kit.

Good luck.

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are the cylinders in a row one through four? I looked at the third one from the left im assuming thats cylinder three it looked very lightly damp at the most. Again the coolant was kind of low so I dont know if that was like that before. I just checked it again and it was gurlging a bit after rocking the car a little bit. I was going to move coils around and look in all the plugs... Any other advice. Apparently leak tests and compression tests dont work well on this car, they appear normal
If your coolant is gurgling even when you know you shouldn't have any air pockets in your cooling system then that means you have combustion gases leaking from the cylinder and into the cooling system which does indicate a cyl head seal leak

Old F@rt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, 2016 Z51 Stingray, 2006 Tundra
Country flag
Pull the oil dipstick out & take a look at the oil on it. If it is "milky" or cloudy looking then a good sign that it's a gasket issue. Also look at the coolant, if it has any brown tint to it, then another sign. HTH

OP
OP
NicKoLi

NicKoLi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
So new discovery. I switched plugs and coils to their opposite corresponding side and the knock cyl and misfire cylinder switched to cylinder 4 instead of 3. What does that mean guys? Could it maybe just be plugs and coils? Ive ordered new plugs and coils. I checked the coolant its still at the same level and looks and smells like coolant. I looked at the oil and it looked fine
Sponsored