First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
"Little old lady" ..... I'm willing to bet that car saw a lot of short trips and idle time . May have caused some serious oil dilution early in its life.
Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
"Little old lady" ..... I'm willing to bet that car saw a lot of short trips and idle time . May have caused some serious oil dilution early in its life.
And if the software was not updated.

OP
OP
CavCat

CavCat

First Name
Santi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Hatchback 1.5T
Country flag
Here's the thing though, idling or short trips shouldnt be an issue with any new car. If that was the case, they would come with a window sticker "not for idling or short trips" lol. If oil dilution was the cause, they probably wont tell me. The master tech did tell me the oil was the likely culprit.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Here's the thing though, idling or short trips shouldnt be an issue with any new car. If that was the case, they would come with a window sticker "not for idling or short trips" lol. If oil dilution was the cause, they probably wont tell me. The master tech did tell me the oil was the likely culprit.
With all of this dilution thing that is happening, I'll just be using a 0w-30 viscosity than the stock 0w-20.

OP
OP
CavCat

CavCat

First Name
Santi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Would 0w 30 have any negative effects? As in, could they come back and say yiu caused damage for not using 0w 20?

dem2757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Would 0w 30 have any negative effects? As in, could they come back and say yiu caused damage for not using 0w 20?
no, they would have to provide a reason for why the specified oil in the same engine in European markets failed in the American model. 20 weight oil is purely for fuel economy, and unless they send your oil for analysis they will notknow the difference from 0w20 or 5w30

OP
OP
CavCat

CavCat

First Name
Santi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
After this I may switch to 0w 30 or 5w 30 then. Thanks for the recomendation

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been using 5-30 for the last 70,000 km, no noticeable impact on fuel mileage. Cold weather starting seems the same too....-30 C no problem. However I always use the block heater whenever it's below -20 C

Last edited:
OP
OP
CavCat

CavCat

First Name
Santi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
UPDATE* Just got my car back from the dealer 2 days ago. New block and head. Main bearings were shot, cams scorred etc. Was covered under warranty. Tech said was definately caused by the oil. There was small metal bits in the oil and it smelled of fuel. The vehicle was a lease before I obtained it so god knows how long its had the issue. All together, 7200 dollars in parts alone. Luckily im under warranty and its good that the powertrain is now covered to 6 year unlimited.

Zodd

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic sport 1.5t 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
wow, i really wonder how that happend... this is scary but using 0w-30 oil should be fine
here in europe there is a page in our maintenance book that looks like this ;)
i ditched 0w-20 oil after first oil change, i take car to a dealer every 4500miles for an oil change and i bring my own oil with me... i did told them that if they want they can order that oil that i want so there will not be any hard feeling for less money they make, but they said it is fine :) this is subjective but changing 0w-20 oil for 0w-30 i swear engine runs smoother, especially at high loads

Honda Civic 10th gen Please advise**Civic 1.5 EX-T hatchback knocking sound image1-
Sponsored

Last edited: