Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Oh. Update. They ordered the whole top and bottom because noise was coming from bottom main bearings, and there was tiny metal in the oil. Oil looked like it was 15k miles old. 7200 worth of parts. Oh, car was not abused before hand I beleive. It was a lease driven by an older lady.

20200729_075554.jpg
Abuse doesn't necessarily mean driven abusively. Maybe that little old lady forgot to do proper maintenance. Either way, glad this is being covered. What's the Honda dealer's take on the cause?

OP
OP
CavCat

CavCat

First Name
Santi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Hatchback 1.5T
Country flag
They have no clue. When I brought it to them initially a few weeks ago, i told them the oil looked dark but they said go off of the honda minder. They couldnt replicate the noise so sent me on my way. This is how the oil looked this last time.

Honda Civic 10th gen Please advise**Civic 1.5 EX-T hatchback knocking sound 20200727_154511

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They have no clue. When I brought it to them initially a few weeks ago, i told them the oil looked dark but they said go off of the honda minder. They couldnt replicate the noise so sent me on my way. This is how the oil looked this last time.

20200727_154511.jpg
Holy. That’s crazy.

I’m glad you’re basically getting a new engine. That being said, I haven’t seen many engine failures unless it was directly related to abuse (lack of maintenance or tuning).

I’m not saying your case is that at all. I believe yours was a defect. That’s what it screams here. But don’t let this deter you. Honda makes great cars and sometimes there’s lemons with every brand. I’ve seen tons of these turbo motors go well past 100k miles trouble free as long as you drive it frequently and up to operating temp, then you’ll be fine.

dem2757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
I agree. Thats what honda is paying for the parts. They said the 2.0 is around 10k for the accord and the 2.4 is around 13k. Dem2757 was on point about the main bearings. What could have caused all this?
bearing surfaces begin to get literally wiped away from the rotational surfaces if the oil film has been compromised by fuel.

Think of oil like a trampoline, you will never hit the ground when jumping so long as it is in good condition. Fuel in the oil makes the figurative trampoline get weak and You begin to touch the ground when you jump, this In the engine causes the rotating surfaces to begin to wipe away the soft coatings and increase the clearances, resulting in metal on metal, which is the noise you hear and scoring they can see.

clear as mud right! Haha

OP
OP
CavCat

CavCat

First Name
Santi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Im just overwhelmed by all this. I had an 03 EX for 14 years that all it ever needed was a vtec seal. A Marine I sold it to is still driving it around town. Will I basically have to treat it like it rolled off the lot with a break in period?

This was my issue free baby

Honda Civic 10th gen Please advise**Civic 1.5 EX-T hatchback knocking sound image2

OP
OP
CavCat

CavCat

First Name
Santi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Stupid question, but how will this affect my current milage? Will it be reset?

OP
OP
CavCat

CavCat

First Name
Santi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Will this change my 3/36 warranty since its a new motor? Afraid of issues coming up since I just hit 34k

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Will this change my 3/36 warranty since its a new motor? Afraid of issues coming up since I just hit 34k
powertrain is covered at 5/60. I'd imagine motor warranty should be extended although you'd need to verify it with Honda (not the dealership I'd say)

OP
OP
CavCat

CavCat

First Name
Santi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just got off the phone with Honda. Apparently block is on a 2 week back order so they are putting my car back together and tech said it is safe to drive..... I have been driving wifes car due to honda having all loaners out and they approved me for a 3 day loaner when parts are all in.

OP
OP
CavCat

CavCat

First Name
Santi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I dont understand how they want me to drive for 2 weeks with such engine failure. If there is metal in the oil, could the turbo also be affected? Will it come with the new motor? Would you all ask for a new turbo?

dem2757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
The filter should catch anything prior to the head and turbo getting metal bits. Oil flows from the pump to the filter and from there the rest of the engine.

OP
OP
CavCat

CavCat

First Name
Santi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks dem. Apppreciated

dem2757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Thanks dem. Apppreciated
no problem. I would say if you can, limit the amount of driving. But the dealer did say it’s fine, so if you throw a rod through the block they let you drive away! Lol
Sponsored