Plastidipping my grill

skittles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport and 2013 370Z sport
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great, the grill was a little tricky but does go very well with the car. I felt the Chrome makes look too casual, Painting all the chrome into black give it that edgy sportier look i feel.
:agree::D
Sponsored

fancy19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Si
I have the steel color touring as well and this is inspiring although I've never done any dipping before....any other parts of the car you going to do?

Tonysil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I got bored yesterday decided to paint :)

I wasn't a fan when I saw the back but then you had my interest when I saw the front. I hope to see your car in person sometime while I'm in the eastern part of the state, I feel like it just might look amazing in person.

Not to be a Monday morning QB but I bet it would have looked even better had you taped off the empty spaces in the "vents." It would be a lot of work but then they would look like they are real.

Dark helmut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black ex-t
I wasn't a fan when I saw the back but then you had my interest when I saw the front. I hope to see your car in person sometime while I'm in the eastern part of the state, I feel like it just might look amazing in person.

Not to be a Monday morning QB but I bet it would have looked even better had you taped off the empty spaces in the "vents." It would be a lot of work but then they would look like they are real.
Thats a pretty good idea i wish i thought of it beforehand lol there are a few spots on the grill itself that i have to touch up the color really pops if you see it in person

CivicEXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda civic
Finished most of the chrome only missing the window trim but been debating on just leaving it. The handles were a pain.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Hey. did the plastidip start to fade away after a few months?

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Plastidip looks like crap. You need to vinyl wrap it.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dip looks like crap if you don't spray it properly.

If you have to use cans, then you need to do a few things to make sure you get even coverage. If you just grab the can and start spraying, it's going to look like crap for sure.

-Make sure your spray tip is clean. Spray a test on a cardboard box or something and make sure you understand how it sprays.
-Put your cans in warm water(not hot) for 10mins before you spray. This raises the internal pressure and viscosity of the dip, allowing much finer atomization when you spray.
-Make sure you spray a tack coat of 50% coverage for your first coat. This helps adhesion to the part your spraying on. This also helps prevent solvent pop on your first layer.
-Spray full even coats with a 50% overlap. If you spray from too far, you will get a fuzzy texture. Too close, you will get runs. Find the sweet spot by practicing on a box before doing your car.

Dip vs Vinyl isn't new and it isn't going anywhere, but for a beginner dip is going to be infinitely easier. Vinyl wrapping is tedious and has a steep learning curve, especially if you're wrapping dry.

Dip looks awesome when you do it correctly.
Honda Civic 10th gen Plastidipping my grill 14608784_10154106400722983_8550452893550033514_o

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have seen people plastidip a 12,000 car and afterwards it looks like a $5000 car. It just looks cheap to me.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And you think vinyl looks any different? Have you ever actually looked at a vinyl wrapped car, that is daily driven, up close? Vinyl gets scratches and swirl marks galore on it after a very short time.

I have both on my car. Roof is carbon wrapped and rest is dipped. I'll go snap a picture of my roof and show you just how vinyl holds up compared to dip. My roof looks like crap and my front bumper looks perfect still.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe use paint ;) You don't have to bother taking pictures. Enjoy your car how ever you see fit.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe use paint ;) You don't have to bother taking pictures. Enjoy your car how ever you see fit.
Well you go around bashing dip and promoting vinyl on every post people put on here, but I really don't think you have any experience with either. I've used vinyl for 10+ years and started using dip this past year.

Oh, and I have paint. Perfect, un-chipped, un-scratched factory paint.
Sponsored