Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016
Honda Civic 10th gen Plastidip EX-T Rims / Wheels ? {filename}

This is right after dipping.

And this is two months after.

There are some wear and tear. The black will fade a little and won't look as good after a few months but that could be due to me not using the dip protection spray and my lack of dipping skill in general. Good thing is I could just remove everything in like half an hour and redo them.
Sponsored

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase

This is right after dipping.

And this is two months after.

There are some wear and tear. The black will fade a little and won't look as good after a few months but that could be due to me not using the dip protection spray and my lack of dipping skill in general. Good thing is I could just remove everything in like half an hour and redo them.
Next cleaning you do..spray some Turtle wax Ice Spray on the dip. It changes the feel of the dip and protects the coloring.

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic EX, 2016 Civic EX
Tried my best...

Couple tips for next time you may want to remove the tire and use index cards in the crease where the rim meets the tire so you don't dip your tire as well. IMHO i think they looked better stock. I have never been a fan of plasti dip on wheels because it tends to come apart and look pretty bad.

CxkeWave_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex-T
Couple tips for next time you may want to remove the tire and use index cards in the crease where the rim meets the tire so you don't dip your tire as well. IMHO i think they looked better stock. I have never been a fan of plasti dip on wheels because it tends to come apart and look pretty bad.
Yeah i ended up removing the dip the next day, keeping them stock until i find some good 18" wheels.

4DBox

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silver EXT, 2018 Volt
Country flag
I wrote up a thread in the wheels section but I will add this here: I used carbon look vinyl to cover sections of the wheel to reveal a different pattern. It looks very clean, especially from a short distance it changes the whole character of the car.

Honda Civic 10th gen Plastidip EX-T Rims / Wheels ? wheel closeu
Honda Civic 10th gen Plastidip EX-T Rims / Wheels ? civic 5 feets

Last edited:

CxkeWave_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex-T
I wrote up a thread in the wheels section but I will add this here: I used carbon look vinyl to cover sections of the wheel to reveal a different pattern. It looks very clean, especially from a short distance it changes the whole character of the car.

That looks good! any more mods?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LSM EX-T
Country flag

This looks awesome! May I ask where you purchased the carbon vinyl and the process of covering the sections of the wheel?

4DBox

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silver EXT, 2018 Volt
Country flag
Sure, happy to share. I take some ordinary paper and a piece of black artist's chalk, tape the paper to the wheel, and outline (trace) the wheel details I want to cover. Then, using scissors I cut out the parts to make a template. As it is only paper, I then trace the paper parts onto thin plastic (political yard sign material) and cut out the final templates from plastic. Now-in the case of the 5 feet design I used- I have 3 templates, one for each side of the V which surround the feet, and one for the rim edge. Next, transfer IN REVERSE the design to the paper side of the carbon vinyl. (Your templates are matches to the final vinyl piece so you want to turn them upside down for your final trace onto the vinyl.)

Cut out the vinyl- 5 pieces of each element to make 15 total. Clean your wheel very well then apply the vinyl shapes to cover the aluminum. When finished, use a blow dryer on HOT to go over all the elements to soften the vinyl and form it to curves and activate the glue. Burnish the edges with your fingers or a cloth. Taking my time from start to finish probably took an hour per wheel, but I enjoyed the DIY process of creating something unique to my vehicle, but I do want to share it with you guys because it looks better than Plastidip- it does not turn flat black/dark gray as the dip does. I had the carbon vinyl on my previous Civic wheels and it was still going strong almost 2 years out.

The vinyl I got off Amazon for next to nothing. If I did it again/ or if I redo it I would get something of better quality as the glue on this product seems adequate but not great. This might be an advantage when it comes time to peel it off?

This weekend I realized my 5 feet pattern is basically a Golf GTI pattern as I saw that car parked across the street from me. I like mine better than the GTI. Cheers.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LSM EX-T
Country flag
Sure, happy to share. I take some ordinary paper and a piece of black artist's chalk, tape the paper to the wheel, and outline (trace) the wheel details I want to cover. Then, using scissors I cut out the parts to make a template. As it is only paper, I then trace the paper parts onto thin plastic (political yard sign material) and cut out the final templates from plastic. Now-in the case of the 5 feet design I used- I have 3 templates, one for each side of the V which surround the feet, and one for the rim edge. Next, transfer IN REVERSE the design to the paper side of the carbon vinyl. (Your templates are matches to the final vinyl piece so you want to turn them upside down for your final trace onto the vinyl.)

Cut out the vinyl- 5 pieces of each element to make 15 total. Clean your wheel very well then apply the vinyl shapes to cover the aluminum. When finished, use a blow dryer on HOT to go over all the elements to soften the vinyl and form it to curves and activate the glue. Burnish the edges with your fingers or a cloth. Taking my time from start to finish probably took an hour per wheel, but I enjoyed the DIY process of creating something unique to my vehicle, but I do want to share it with you guys because it looks better than Plastidip- it does not turn flat black/dark gray as the dip does. I had the carbon vinyl on my previous Civic wheels and it was still going strong almost 2 years out.

The vinyl I got off Amazon for next to nothing. If I did it again/ or if I redo it I would get something of better quality as the glue on this product seems adequate but not great. This might be an advantage when it comes time to peel it off?

This weekend I realized my 5 feet pattern is basically a Golf GTI pattern as I saw that car parked across the street from me. I like mine better than the GTI. Cheers.
Thanks! Did you end up removing the tire while doing this process?

frankdboss

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016
Stock or the ones from the HB look good. Plastidip looks bad imo.

EmBloom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2dr EXT 16
Country flag

May I ask, how did you manage to get the vinyl to stick to the curved parts? Not sure what I'm doing wrong, it's not sticking even when applying heat
Sponsored