Plasti Dip SI Rims. yay or nay?

lemueljedc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Just got these SI rims for my 2017 Hatchback. I like the design, but I've always plasti dipped all my wheels in the past.

As for these ones; I'm still thinking if plasti dipping these will look tacky or really good with my White Orchid Pearl Hatchback. I'm just a fan of matte black.

Has anyone tried doing this to your honda?

Honda Civic 10th gen Plasti Dip SI Rims. yay or nay? IMG_0830.JPG
Sponsored

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
My brother in law has a HB sport, and his wheels are just blacked out versions of the SI from what I can tell, or since his car was out first, I guess the SI wheels are just chrome accented versions of his.

18Si_Croz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
I did mine, 100 percent worth it. I think it looks so much better!

Honda Civic 10th gen Plasti Dip SI Rims. yay or nay? PlastiRims

SandyEggoSi

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Rallye Red
Country flag
As long as u don't plan on doing any canyon runs/track/auto-x in the car, will be fine. Otherwise, the plastidip will bubble up and look like poo if the wheels get hot.

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As long as u don't plan on doing any canyon runs/track/auto-x in the car, will be fine. Otherwise, the plastidip will bubble up and look like poo if the wheels get hot.
Do you have evidence of this?

I only ask because I auto-x and drifted my RX-8 with plasti-diped wheels and never experienced this issue.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
100% false. People dip their calipers, valve covers, and even exhaust tips.

SandyEggoSi

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Rallye Red
Country flag
100% false. People dip their calipers, valve covers, and even exhaust tips.
I've seen it on a canyon run on my friend's car. Maybe you people just aren't pushing your cars hard enough. Lolz.

Ok, full disclosure, there is a mountain here in SoCal that is legendary called Palomar mtn. There is a 7 mile stretch with about a 3500 elevation gain from top to bottom. Going down the mountain is where things can get really hot. And yes, it did happen to my friend's Fiesta ST wheels.

I'd say that is an extreme case tho...so if you don't feel your driving is too extreme, you'd prob be ok. Me, I'd just buy new wheels. They're cheap enough. Then sell your OEM ones to someone with an LX or prev model Civic. =)

e85sbm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Plasti-dip is a PITA to remove from wheels, I would suggest not doing it and finding a nice set of different wheels, or buy the HB Sport wheels - they are the same design, just all black

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Plasti-dip is a PITA to remove from wheels, I would suggest not doing it and finding a nice set of different wheels, or buy the HB Sport wheels - they are the same design, just all black
Not if you apply it correctly. EVERY. And I do mean EVERY person who says plastidip is hard to remove, put it on too thin. Plastidip will come off in one solid piece if you applied it correctly.

Here is the dip peeled off my WRX. 10 coats 5 gallons total. For wheels, minimum 6 full wet heavy coats. You should have about 1.5 cans minimum on each wheel. More for wheels with more surface area.
Honda Civic 10th gen Plasti Dip SI Rims. yay or nay? 16804028_10154514482232983_7686119640109650598_o

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Plasti-dip comes off just fine so long as its applied correctly. If it doesnt that is only because the wheel was no cleaned properly or more likely the amount of product was not sufficient. 1 wheel = 1 can MINIMUM. Less than that will cause removal to be a PITA as you described.

That said though... I personally agree with the sport wheels being a better option as they will look better IMO.

SandyEggoSi

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Rallye Red
Country flag
I 2nd that it was hard to remove. Prob right about it being hard if not put on thick enough. I have never used plasti-dip, just help my friend remove it of his wheels after they bubbled up from the canyon run. Geez, 1.5 cans per wheel? Yikes! Just the cost and added weight. Lolz.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
You can remove it off easily with a solution for those that sprayed it too thin

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I 2nd that it was hard to remove. Prob right about it being hard if not put on thick enough. I have never used plasti-dip, just help my friend remove it of his wheels after they bubbled up from the canyon run. Geez, 1.5 cans per wheel? Yikes! Just the cost and added weight. Lolz.
Not as much as you think.... 17 cans is roughly a pound of finished product.