Planning to upgrade premium sound system in '19 CTR - Need help+feedback on plan. Suggestions?

rainytimeronno

First Name
Ryne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R Touring, 2004 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I'm a little late to the party and this is actually my first post here. Just upgraded to the CTR from an '04 Si. I loved the EP3 but this car made me forget all about it. EXCEPT for the sound system. I put a lot of time and effort to the old one and loved how it sounded. I can't say the same for this "premium" sound system. It's not horrible but I don't want to settle for a 6/10 lol.

The whole thing with not being able to change the headunit (or even get a flat signal!!!) is a pain but I think I've gotten a grasp on how to deal with it. I'm sure there's cheaper ways but this was the simplest that I could come up with and I'm ok spending for a real premium sound system.

Here's what I was planning:

Notes

• All amps use speaker level inputs. I have already tapped into the outputs by the stock amp and ran wires to the back.
  • No rear tweeter/woofer inputs. This is due to Honda lowering the base volume in the rear. I may do it myself anyways but I want the choice.
  • Separate outputs for rear mids. I did this so I could control the timing independent form the others considering how far they are from the other rear speakers.
  • Chose to route the left and right highs into the center speaker as well. It is a mid in the stock system but I'm putting a coax in its place. I read somewhere that the center channel in this system isn't a direct sum of left and right but a combination through some kind of processing. So i figured if I kept that and added the high's, it wouldn't negatively impact the stereo feel of the car too much but also add the range needed to take advantage of the coax.
  • Combined the left and right woofer channels into the subwoofer channel. This is due to the stock honda system setting the filter at something ridiculously low. 40-50Hz? So I added to the signal and I'll set my own filter level when it comes time to tune.

Questions

1. In regards to point 3 in the notes, will this cause issues considering it was supposed to be apart of the 3 way crossover system?
2. I believe all speakers (except subwoofer) are rated at 75W RMS. So the amp's channel output and speakers match but how does this work with the crossovers? My guess is that 2x 75W speakers rated at 4 ohms each is going to change the resistance and possibly cause it to be underpowered.

Obviously I'm misunderstand a key piece to how the crossovers work. I have a feeling I won't be able to separate the mids like I want but that's why I'm here. I've always used coax in the past so I'm fairly new to the concept
Sponsored