Roadster1976

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5/ Honda Fit
Country flag
Alpha I'm in the same situation as you.Going to wait for the new Si and go with a car broker since I hate dealing with the shenanigans.Good luck.
Sponsored

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As the title states and I'd like to introduce myself. I've driven a Mazda since 2002 and expected to continue to do so into the foreseeable future. My wife and I drive manual transmission cars and have never owned one with an automatic transmission. In 2019 I was ready to buy a new Mazda3 sedan but was surprised that the only available MT car was the Hatchback with the highest level of trim. Searching for a sporty replacement led me to the Civic SI sedan and I have been lurking on your forum for several months now to learn as much as possible about the car. Having test driven one (albeit a coupe) I'm now ready to buy as soon as I can find a reasonably-priced deal.

Unfortunately, my first attempt to purchase one ended in failure despite the fact that I would have bought the car outright for cash (no finance) thinking that would have given me an advantage pricewise. Apparently, I was wrong!

I'm still looking and more anxious than ever to finally have one of my own to drive around.

This is a great forum and I'm impressed with the knowledge of this car exhibited by so many of the members.
Let them smash you with a huge interest rate on a loan and get a better price on the car then pay the car off the 1st month. Just let them know so you don’t have any prepayment penalties for getting the loan. They can make money off your financing even if you pay off immediately ultimately giving you a lower price on the car making it up in APR markup reimbursement from the lender.

Cash is the worst way to get a good deal on a car. They have no back end to make money on you.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Let them smash you with a huge interest rate on a loan and get a better price on the car then pay the car off the 1st month. Just let them know so you don’t have any prepayment penalties for getting the loan. They can make money off your financing even if you pay off immediately ultimately giving you a lower price on the car making it up in APR markup reimbursement from the lender.

Cash is the worst way to get a good deal on a car. They have no back end to make money on you.
Dealers don't get the financing bonus if you pay it off too soon. It's typically 3-6 months. You can pay off all but $100 I think to avoid them getting stiffed. Just common courtesy imo.

Knappy17

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan Red
Country flag
Just my tea on the car shopping, I know you said you wanted a new car, I just purchased a 2017 with only 16k miles on it. To me, that's pretty new and I got it for only $18k down in Camden. If you're set on new that's fine, but just remember there are some really nice deals for close to new cars some even 10k cheaper!

This forum is great with a ton of info on it. Part of the reason I chose the Si, have fun with it, and hope you can get a deal!

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
Here's a great video that can help you negotiate a deal. Be sure to read the comments below the video for even more great tips.
Don't EVER say "I'm Paying Cash"
Some highlights:
1. Tell the salesman "I only talk finances to the financial department in a private, confidential room..which I will gladly do after our price negotiations are over." .
2. Tell the Finance Officer "Please add the tax, title, license fees and give me a total" and check this number against your state DMV site.
3. If there's a "document fee" for $599, draw a line through it and say "I'm willing to pay $75."
4. Line out any other items you don't want(pinstripes, rust proofing, etc).
5. 75% of the time they are a "Crooked Dealer" so be willing to walk out the door at any time, and go find a "Better Dealer".

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I spent 2 months or so to get a deal done, and keep in mind the prices changed a lot over the last 2 months, dealers got stingier with discounts as supply dropped and demand increased, and the stock market went up. So people who bought 3-6 months ago got a much better deal than you can get right now. I think that may change soon, seems like more Si's are showing up finally. Hang tough with the prices, they'll come down.

jabberwocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GRolla/Pilot/Tacoma
This past Thursday evening I bought a new 2020 metallic grey si coupe for $25,300 OTD. Well actually $24,800 with the $500 student discount. But this took about about a month to get to this point, where the car hit the lot and the same day I put a deposit over the phone to pick up that night. So if you are offered a good deal you may need to act quickly I had two other deals fall through with one where I put the deposit down with the rep but the car was sold before he could get the finance manager to hold. The other one I said I would drive up the next morning to get and the car was sold that evening. Another issue is some dealerships are firm on pricing, one even tried to sell me a si coupe above msrp because they were in demand. There are good deals to be had but as many say here some of it is luck and timing.

Honda Civic 10th gen Planning to Buy a Civic SI 20200731_080540

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I just bought my 2020 Si Coupe and it was the last Si on the lot they had. The salesmen told me they sell very quickly. Maybe that is why they would not budge on the price as they knew they could sell it at full MSRP...just a guess. I traded my 2019 Hyundai Tucson for it and all said and done I am about $10,000 into it with all the add ons I bought like the extended warranty and windshield and interior protection, anti theft protection and the like. Not to bad and I feel good knowing at least the car is worth more than I owe on it and the Si Civics tend to depreciate less quickly than the other Civic trims excluding the Type R.

Its a fun car to drive. Its not blisteringly fast but it is quick and very sporty. Since I do not think they are coming out with a 2021 model Si best bet is to wait for one to come on the market used of which there are plenty and shop around for one with low miles and good price and as many mentioned if your gonna pay cash never ever tell the salesmen that upfront. Let them think you plan to finance until they lock the price in writing. Everyone thinks that if your paying cash that the dealership will give you a better deal because your not financing but really they would rather finance it to you and they end up loosing a little bit of money on the deal if you pay for it all up front.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here's a great video that can help you negotiate a deal. Be sure to read the comments below the video for even more great tips.
Don't EVER say "I'm Paying Cash"
Some highlights:
1. Tell the salesman "I only talk finances to the financial department in a private, confidential room..which I will gladly do after our price negotiations are over." .
2. Tell the Finance Officer "Please add the tax, title, license fees and give me a total" and check this number against your state DMV site.
3. If there's a "document fee" for $599, draw a line through it and say "I'm willing to pay $75."
4. Line out any other items you don't want(pinstripes, rust proofing, etc).
5. 75% of the time they are a "Crooked Dealer" so be willing to walk out the door at any time, and go find a "Better Dealer".
With all do respect, this Is an unrealistic list, starting with #1. The amount of Salespeople who WOULDN’T tell you to GTFO after you said that to them is quantifiable on one hand.

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
This past Thursday evening I bought a new 2020 metallic grey si coupe for $25,300 OTD. Well actually $24,800 with the $500 student discount. But this took about about a month to get to this point, where the car hit the lot and the same day I put a deposit over the phone to pick up that night. So if you are offered a good deal you may need to act quickly I had two other deals fall through with one where I put the deposit down with the rep but the car was sold before he could get the finance manager to hold. The other one I said I would drive up the next morning to get and the car was sold that evening. Another issue is some dealerships are firm on pricing, one even tried to sell me a si coupe above msrp because they were in demand. There are good deals to be had but as many say here some of it is luck and timing.

20200731_080540.jpg
So this is my biggest fear right now, I put down the max deposit over the phone ($5K on my credit card) and the car is still in transit, suppose to arrive this week though. How did they sell it out from under you with a deposit down?

The sales person I was working with said they would also take the car down off the site so no one could buy it yet it's still up and the price actually went up by $250.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
So this is my biggest fear right now, I put down the max deposit over the phone ($5K on my credit card) and the car is still in transit, suppose to arrive this week though. How did they sell it out from under you with a deposit down?

The sales person I was working with said they would also take the car down off the site so no one could buy it yet it's still up and the price actually went up by $250.
I hope you have a signed purchase agreement. If you don't and they try to screw you(anything over 26K you're being screwed) just don't sign anything eventually they will give you your money back.

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
I hope you have a signed purchase agreement. If you don't and they try to screw you(anything over 26K you're being screwed) just don't sign anything eventually they will give you your money back.
I asked several times for a signed agreement saying that the car was mine at this price and she kept pushing back saying all she can do is give me the quote with her manager's 'prepared by' and name at the bottom. I asked to speak with the manager to confirm but he would have to call me back since he was busy. Waited for a call back but eventually the sales rep just called me back and said he didn't have time b/c it was a Friday afternoon and they were too busy. I'm 3.5 hours away so everything was done via email/phone.

I'm extremely nervous that things aren't going to go how they should when I get there. I'm sure I can get my deposit back but I don't want to lose the deal since no one else could match it. I'll also be at the end of my rental from insurance after my total loss.

Last edited:

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
I asked several times for a signed agreement saying that the car was mine at this price and she kept pushing back saying all she can do is give me the quote with her manager's 'prepared by' and name at the bottom. I asked to speak with the manager to confirm and apparently he was too busy to talk to me. Waited for a call back but eventually the sales rep just called me back and said he didn't have time b/c it was a Friday. I'm 3.5 hours away so everything was done via email/phone.

I'm extremely nervous that things aren't going to go how they should when I get there. I'm sure I can get my deposit back but I don't want to lose the deal since no one else could match it. I'll also be at the end of my rental from insurance after my total loss.
You're almost certainly being played with by a dirty dealership that will add document fees, extra charges, for at least 1K-2K, possibly more. My best suggestion is to buy a used car from a private owner and start over. Don't let these dealers screw you over.

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
You're almost certainly being played with by a dirty dealership that will add document fees, extra charges, for at least 1K-2K, possibly more. My best suggestion is to buy a used car from a private owner and start over. Don't let these dealers screw you over.
That's not good to hear. I'm going to go in there with my guard up. After my initial negotiations last week over email I never want to deal with dealerships again, if this falls through and they try to screw me I'll likely be buying used from a private owner with an inspection.

jabberwocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GRolla/Pilot/Tacoma

They said that there was a "mix up" between the two finance managers. I did not even find out it was sold orginally from my rep I was working with. I inquired because over two days that I had given the card they did not run it and I emailed confirming that they had a hold on the car. I got an email stating it was sold the day before?!? I called the sales rep I was dealing with and he said he was clueless to what had happened at first stating that it was still coming. He said he would call back. Five minutes later I get a call from the sales manager stating they made a mistake. I'm guessing they already sold it before I even put the deposit down as they were attempting to offer me another different color one they had coming which I declined as at that point all trust was lost.
Sponsored