Planning to Buy a Civic SI

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
Anyone's purchase experience from 2019 or even March 2020 isn't what's reality now, unfortunately.
Yeah, reading about current buying experiences in this thread and over in the Pricing/Buying/Ordering forum, this definitely does seem to be the case. I bought my 2020 Si on the last day of February, at which point inventory was pretty easy to find. I had my choice of four different ABM sedans at a few dealers within an hour's drive of my home. Wasn't difficult to get a moderate (but certainly not mind-blowing) discount. Ended up at $23,795+TTL. Could've paid a few hundred less at another dealer, but they really rubbed me the wrong way.

Now, just a few months later, inventory is thin and discounts seem much tougher to score.

I actually thought I'd bought at the worst possible time, figuring COVID would hammer the auto sales market - leading to better pricing than ever. But it hasn't shaken out that way, at least not yet. In retrospect I guess my timing was pretty good.
Sponsored

letsgoMINAJE

First Name
Minaje
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
Yeah, reading about current buying experiences in this thread and over in the Pricing/Buying/Ordering forum, this definitely does seem to be the case. I bought my 2020 Si on the last day of February, at which point inventory was pretty easy to find. I had my choice of four different ABM sedans at a few dealers within an hour's drive of my home. Wasn't difficult to get a moderate (but certainly not mind-blowing) discount. Ended up at $23,795+TTL. Could've paid a few hundred less at another dealer, but they really rubbed me the wrong way.

Now, just a few months later, inventory is thin and discounts seem much tougher to score.

I actually thought I'd bought at the worst possible time, figuring COVID would hammer the auto sales market - leading to better pricing than ever. But it hasn't shaken out that way, at least not yet. In retrospect I guess my timing was pretty good.
When I bought my 2020 black Si on June 1st, 2020...I got it for $23,500 + TTL in Los Angeles County. And that's before they even took the car off the truck from the plant. A 2020 Si Sedan in Black is virtually non-existent. I had 3 different dealerships tell me there were less than 10 registered in California. Is it really THAT different in NJ?

mjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020 Sedan; Previously VW Jetta SEL 2016 (auto); Civic EX Sedan 2009 (manual); Civic EX Coupe 2002 (manual)
Country flag
Thank you all for your replies. Obviously I made a mistake by stating upfront that I would pay cash. In fact, I actually found that out at the dealer when I mentioned a cash sale to the salesman. He replied that the dealer actually prefers financing because it advantages the dealer. I wanted the car + spare tire kit + wheel locks and the salesman came back from finance with an OTD price of $30,500. I was told all dealers are charging more than list for the SI as a matter of course (just as they do for the type R). They came down to $30,000 OTD and that was it. I respectfully declined to pay that amount and walked.

I just received an email from another dealer stating that no dealers are discounting on this model. I'll keep looking but I wonder if I wait until the 2021's come out this Fall will I then be able to get some kind of discount?
Hi Alpha, I got my Si back in the fall for about a thousand under sticker. I used Carsdirect, which gave me a quote from Madison Honda. I went in the next day, they honored the quote and gave me a fair price on my trade-in. I also came in with a PNC check-ready loan, and they matched the PNC rate for my financing (so they would get the financing).

I also one hundred percent endorse the Costco program to buy a car. I have used it for multiple purchases and have had very good experiences. The only reason I didn't use it for my Si was that the Costco dealer in my area didn't have the Si in stock and timing was of the essence for me.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
When I bought my 2020 black Si on June 1st, 2020...I got it for $23,500 + TTL in Los Angeles County. And that's before they even took the car off the truck from the plant. A 2020 Si Sedan in Black is virtually non-existent. I had 3 different dealerships tell me there were less than 10 registered in California. Is it really THAT different in NJ?
Well, a lot has happened between the day I purchased my car (2/29) and the day you purchased yours. I just searched current Si inventory in NJ. I mentioned above that I had four ABM sedans to choose from in February...today, there are zero. In fact, only four cars in a search area that used to return dozens of hits. Two white, one black, one MSM. That's all.

On the flip side: did you take a look at CA Si inventory just before the pandemic? I'd hazard a guess that there was a lot more inventory available at that point in time, much like there was here.

letsgoMINAJE

First Name
Minaje
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
Well, a lot has happened between the day I purchased my car (2/29) and the day you purchased yours. I just searched current Si inventory in NJ. I mentioned above that I had four ABM sedans to choose from in February...today, there are zero. In fact, only four cars in a search area that used to return dozens of hits. Two white, one black, one MSM. That's all.

On the flip side: did you take a look at CA Si inventory just before the pandemic? I'd hazard a guess that there was a lot more inventory available at that point in time, much like there was here.
I can't comment on what the inventory was before the pandemic because I wasn't looking for a 2020 at the time. It wasn't until I found this forum in mid-May, when I posted about a price for a used 2017 and somebody suggested I look into get a 2020. I did and had one 2 weeks later when inventory was extremely low, black sedans were scarce (had to wait for one to arrive), fairly deep into the pandemic and got a fantastic deal. I was inquiring if it was really so much different in NJ than here in Los Angeles and why? (even tho I didn't say ask why in my original post lol)

TL;DR - My purchase experience in the middle of the pandemic was yours prior to the pandemic and I wonder why that is.

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
I wouldn't wait for the 21's. Honda isn't producing the si next year in preparation for the release of the 11th gen.

Edit: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/end-of-civic-si-and-coupe-for-10th-gen.52101/
That's why I decided to buy one now and despite looking in both the Southern California and Phoenix markets. I was only able to get a few hundred off of MSRP. Of course I limited myself but only wanting a sedan and only blue, steel metallic or red. Got the blue!

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
That's weird, I got my best offer on a black one (Spreen Honda) but I didn't want that color (not in this desert sun).

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
What I hate is when you walk out their door they wait awhile and then call you back trying to act like their dropping the price. Then, when you go back you realize they're just playing you like a fiddle. Unfortunately, they aren't doing anything illegal but obviously laws should be written up to outlaw all the crap they do.
You'll do a lot better buying 4 to 5 year old private party w/inspection. With some luck in the future you'll find a used 10th Gen Civic Si private party. I've vowed to never step on a dealers lot EVER again for ANYTHING I'm lucky I bought my 17 Si used.
Got the call that the car came in today. The other sales girl said the price had gone up 1K from what I was originally quoted. Manager says it's because Honda's dealer incentives aka dealer cash changed this month versus July when I was quoted and promised the original price.

I went down there with an argument that they promised me this price and he, the manager, signed off on it. His next reasoning was telling me that if I had done the paperwork to buy the car ahead of time when I put down my deposit that the price would have been what I paid. He claims I refused to do any paperwork yet I do not remember it that way, I asked the sales girl if I COULD DO paperwork to lock in the sale price and she told me they couldn't get me anything.

Regardless, I paid 26.3k OTD after taxes instead of the planned 25.3k.

Side note: don't use "The Survey" as a bargaining chip as they tend to get offended when their salary is threatened. I nearly got kicked out for bringing that up after they wouldn't budge from the new price. Don't trust every dealer bargaining trick you read online ?

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
Got the call that the car came in today. The other sales girl said the price had gone up 1K from what I was originally quoted. Manager says it's because Honda's dealer incentives aka dealer cash changed this month versus July when I was quoted and promised the original price.

I went down there with an argument that they promised me this price and he, the manager, signed off on it. His next reasoning was telling me that if I had done the paperwork to buy the car ahead of time when I put down my deposit that the price would have been what I paid. He claims I refused to do any paperwork yet I do not remember it that way, I asked the sales girl if I COULD DO paperwork to lock in the sale price and she told me they couldn't get me anything.

Regardless, I paid 26.3k OTD after taxes instead of the planned 25.3k.
well they didn't totally screw you over but they still played a game that should never be played. It's simply the worst customer experience in the U.S. when the apocalypse comes I hope they're the first to be destroyed.
That being said, I think you did a pretty good job fighting the good fight. 26.3K after taxes is pretty reasonable let's face it in 5 years your SI might still be worth 80% of what you paid.
It cost about 2K(gas, insurance, maint) to drive a car (that's paid off)every year. Therefore, if you sell your Si for 20K in 2025 your total cost for EVERYTHING is 15K.
Congrats you're really paying $250 a month for 5 years to drive a great car, that's outstanding in today's world!

OP
OP

AlphaCentauri

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mazda3 iTouring SkyActiv-G 6-speed MT
Country flag
Thanks for all the great information and the recounting of all your buying experiences which I'm sure will stand me in good stead in my own quest. I'm still hanging in there and looking and will let you know when I'm finally able to connect.

mjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020 Sedan; Previously VW Jetta SEL 2016 (auto); Civic EX Sedan 2009 (manual); Civic EX Coupe 2002 (manual)
Country flag
Thanks for all the great information and the recounting of all your buying experiences which I'm sure will stand me in good stead in my own quest. I'm still hanging in there and looking and will let you know when I'm finally able to connect.
I don't know how far you're willing to travel, but I see Clinton Honda has a blue Civic Si sedan on the lot right now. I did not buy from them (they didn't have one in stock when I was looking) but they are reputed to be an excellent dealership. I almost bought an Accord from them a couple years ago, and was happy to see they don't lard any "dealer add-ons" on to their cars. Their online side is responsive too.
Sponsored