Planning to Buy a Civic SI

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
That's not good to hear. I'm going to go in there with my guard up. After my initial negotiations last week over email I never want to deal with dealerships again, if this falls through and they try to screw me I'll likely be buying used from a private owner with an inspection.
What I hate is when you walk out their door they wait awhile and then call you back trying to act like their dropping the price. Then, when you go back you realize they're just playing you like a fiddle. Unfortunately, they aren't doing anything illegal but obviously laws should be written up to outlaw all the crap they do.
You'll do a lot better buying 4 to 5 year old private party w/inspection. With some luck in the future you'll find a used 10th Gen Civic Si private party. I've vowed to never step on a dealers lot EVER again for ANYTHING I'm lucky I bought my 17 Si used.
Sponsored

RKS17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G37s
Country flag
We went in to buy a Si sedan and were informed when we sat down to pay ($22k) that it had been sold the previous evening. The dealer offered to bring one in but it was almost $30k OTD. After a chuckle, we left. 2 weeks later the same dealer had one "in transit" for $22K again. We went in the next day, signed a Purchase Agreement, put down $3K and waited a couple of weeks for Honda to push it down from Canada.

I was informed immediately when it arrived and there were no surprises in completing the purchase but I understand that the dealer had a ton of sales inquires and no one else in the area sells below MSRP.

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
What I hate is when you walk out their door they wait awhile and then call you back trying to act like their dropping the price. Then, when you go back you realize they're just playing you like a fiddle. Unfortunately, they aren't doing anything illegal but obviously laws should be written up to outlaw all the crap they do.
You'll do a lot better buying 4 to 5 year old private party w/inspection. With some luck in the future you'll find a used 10th Gen Civic Si private party. I've vowed to never step on a dealers lot EVER again for ANYTHING I'm lucky I bought my 17 Si used.
So I went back to their website again, and the price went up a bit more since the original listing/quote I received, but still cheaper than any other listings. Interestingly, they added some additional text about 'must finance with us to get this price, cash or outside financing may be higher price'. Based on a recent negative review about 'they won't honor the online price unless you finance through them' I figured that was what I would end up being told as well.

I originally planned to pay cash but if it gets me a better deal, I'll finance with them, plus I can get $500 off for the recent graduate Honda promo when financing through them. If they honor the original quote they gave me with no BS I'll finance the minimum amount as long as there's no early payoff penalty.

If they don't play any games, I'll give them the 90 days everyone talks about before paying it off.

I'll post again hopefully in the next few days with the results of my visit.

This is my first car purchase so I've been doing tons of research but it's also stressing me out hardcore.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
So I went back to their website again, and the price went up a bit more since the original listing/quote I received, but still cheaper than any other listings. Interestingly, they added some additional text about 'must finance with us to get this price, cash or outside financing may be higher price'. Based on a recent negative review about 'they won't honor the online price unless you finance through them' I figured that was what I would end up being told as well.

I originally planned to pay cash but if it gets me a better deal, I'll finance with them, plus I can get $500 off for the recent graduate Honda promo when financing through them. If they honor the original quote they gave me with no BS I'll finance the minimum amount as long as there's no early payoff penalty.

If they don't play any games, I'll give them the 90 days everyone talks about before paying it off.

I'll post again hopefully in the next few days with the results of my visit.

This is my first car purchase so I've been doing tons of research but it's also stressing me out hardcore.
Ok, I understand this is your first time I would recommend if you have a good credit score don't let them charge you a high interest rate no matter what. It's just too dangerous. Make sure you can pay the loan off early and with no penalty. Also, before you go figure out what the payments will be for the total they quoted you. Let's say they quoted 26K what's the payments for 3% interest? 4%? and so on.
I won't be surprised if they try to get 2, 3 or 5K extra out of you. Don't be afraid to walk at anytime. I usually look at my phone "My god I have to go work is calling plus I don't agree to your terms" and GTFO. If they say anything at all say "I'm leaving NOW!" they know they're screwing you.
Honestly, they have ten ways from Sunday to screw you and they have no scruples. I wouldn't bother and just buy a private party car in your local area and wait for the economy to collapse, which it will very soon.
Buying a car is ranked as the worst customer experience in the United States for good reason. Think about it!

Last edited:

YvesSaintJan

First Name
Jansen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
1. Wait until at least Oct-Dec, the economy is going to tank because of Covid-19.
2. Work at least 2-3 dealers against each other
3. Take your time, go back and forth with them several times.
4. Finance and pay off car early, just be sure there's no penalty
MSPR is around 26K I wouldn't pay more than 27K.
Everything you said is 1000000%

I worked almost all the dealers in the bay area to get my blue si for a fair price. Patience, it’s not type R. They will budge.

RKS17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G37s
Country flag
Everything you said is 1000000%

I worked almost all the dealers in the bay area to get my blue si for a fair price. Patience, it’s not type R. They will budge.
There is no 2021 Si and I don't know how long Honda is producing the 2020 so there may not be much to choose from in the near future. The good news is that used car prices are going up and with the Si holding its value you get to pay close to new-car prices anyway!

If you are willing to pay MSRP, the car is not that difficult to find. If you want a great deal then it usually requires a little patience but you may have to wait until the 2022 model year.

IMHO paying $27K before TTR for a Civic Si is tough to swallow.

RKS17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G37s
Country flag
This thread should help.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/10th-gen-civic-si-what-did-you-pay.11500/

Bought mine a week ago in MD for $26250 OTD. Like everyone's said, don't mention cash and for me, negotiating the OTD price only helped cut out the BS.
In theory that is the right way to go. Most dealers in my area sell at MSRP unless you are willing to grind out a discount. There aren't a whole lot of Si to choose from and until they start sitting on the lot for more than 30 days; the dealers will play the "I know what I have" game.

I sent all the dealers within 100 miles a quote request and a local one offered 2 prices: $22k if you finance with the dealer, or $24.5 if you don't use their specific financing.

TheGman76

First Name
Gab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
As the title states and I'd like to introduce myself. I've driven a Mazda since 2002 and expected to continue to do so into the foreseeable future. My wife and I drive manual transmission cars and have never owned one with an automatic transmission. In 2019 I was ready to buy a new Mazda3 sedan but was surprised that the only available MT car was the Hatchback with the highest level of trim. Searching for a sporty replacement led me to the Civic SI sedan and I have been lurking on your forum for several months now to learn as much as possible about the car. Having test driven one (albeit a coupe) I'm now ready to buy as soon as I can find a reasonably-priced deal.

Unfortunately, my first attempt to purchase one ended in failure despite the fact that I would have bought the car outright for cash (no finance) thinking that would have given me an advantage pricewise. Apparently, I was wrong!

I'm still looking and more anxious than ever to finally have one of my own to drive around.

This is a great forum and I'm impressed with the knowledge of this car exhibited by so many of the members.
Hello....
I got my pearl white Si sedan july 1st 2020...
Have to say I love the damn thing!!! Owners say that they love their Si's and it's easy to understand why...

I took a few friends on a twisty country road drive (not full beans still breaking it in) and they were blown away, by the power and handling.

One of my friends has a 2000 boxster and says the Si handles just as good!!

I really hope you find one soon.. Covid has dealers inventory really low!

What color are you looking for?

NoRebound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
As the title states and I'd like to introduce myself. I've driven a Mazda since 2002 and expected to continue to do so into the foreseeable future. My wife and I drive manual transmission cars and have never owned one with an automatic transmission. In 2019 I was ready to buy a new Mazda3 sedan but was surprised that the only available MT car was the Hatchback with the highest level of trim. Searching for a sporty replacement led me to the Civic SI sedan and I have been lurking on your forum for several months now to learn as much as possible about the car. Having test driven one (albeit a coupe) I'm now ready to buy as soon as I can find a reasonably-priced deal.

Unfortunately, my first attempt to purchase one ended in failure despite the fact that I would have bought the car outright for cash (no finance) thinking that would have given me an advantage pricewise. Apparently, I was wrong!

I'm still looking and more anxious than ever to finally have one of my own to drive around.

This is a great forum and I'm impressed with the knowledge of this car exhibited by so many of the members.

I bought my '19 Si through the Costco Auto Buying Program and paid cash. If you are a Costco member you sign up on their website with the models you are interested in. They will direct you to a dealer in your area who is in the program.
Someone from the dealer will contact you and set up an appointment where you can set drive the car and make a decision.
Once you've decided the dealer has a program book that shows you the price for the Si. You'll be offered the median trade in value for your trade-in for your geographic area. You'll see your final cost right then and there. There is no haggling, the price is the price.
In total I saved about $3100 on the Si. Was texting a friend who is a general manager for a high end dealer in town during this. When I sent him the final numbers his reply was "Nobody is going to touch that price on an Si. Don't leave without that car."
I didn't.
Perhaps the best car buying experience I've ever had.

caliboy15

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many to list.... jk
Country flag
Buy mine lol 2020 white Sedan With 5k miles

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
I bought my '19 Si through the Costco Auto Buying Program and paid cash. If you are a Costco member you sign up on their website with the models you are interested in. They will direct you to a dealer in your area who is in the program.
Someone from the dealer will contact you and set up an appointment where you can set drive the car and make a decision.
Once you've decided the dealer has a program book that shows you the price for the Si. You'll be offered the median trade in value for your trade-in for your geographic area. You'll see your final cost right then and there. There is no haggling, the price is the price.
In total I saved about $3100 on the Si. Was texting a friend who is a general manager for a high end dealer in town during this. When I sent him the final numbers his reply was "Nobody is going to touch that price on an Si. Don't leave without that car."
I didn't.
Perhaps the best car buying experience I've ever had.
I gotta admit this has a chance of working. I'd never trade in a car but I'm guessing that's not a requirement.

RKS17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G37s
Country flag
I've tried going through Costco a few times including the Si. I went through the website, chose the car, and was given the contact info for a dealer. Since I never received an email or call from dealer I went in with the email that had a Costco authorization number.
The dealer passed me on to a new salesperson who was unable to provide me with the Costco price so I left after 45 minutes of bs excuses.
A week or two later I tried getting the Costco price again and was told by the dealer that the Si was not part of the Costco program. I called Costco and complained about the wasted time. Costco did contact the dealer but I never followed up and purchased the car elsewhere.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I've tried going through Costco a few times including the Si. I went through the website, chose the car, and was given the contact info for a dealer. Since I never received an email or call from dealer I went in with the email that had a Costco authorization number.
The dealer passed me on to a new salesperson who was unable to provide me with the Costco price so I left after 45 minutes of bs excuses.
A week or two later I tried getting the Costco price again and was told by the dealer that the Si was not part of the Costco program. I called Costco and complained about the wasted time. Costco did contact the dealer but I never followed up and purchased the car elsewhere.
Truecar is the same. You can get a nice price but the dealers won't honor it.

Anyone's purchase experience from 2019 or even March 2020 isn't what's reality now, unfortunately.

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag

Hey. Shoot me a PM. I might be able to help you out. I’m not a sales person but I work for an auto group that has a Honda dealer in it; I bought my ‘20 Si last December.
Sponsored