Plannig to change rim and tire size. Needs suggestions please.

krtnchls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback LX
Country flag
Guys, just need a very helpful suggestion and advice. I have 2017 civic hatchback lx and im planning to change my tire. Which is better? Mine is just 16", dont know if i can do an 18" or just the 17". I really dont have any idea cause this is my first car. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can do whatever what you want as long as you stay within specs. You can go as large as 20. I have 19s, they are 19x8 with a +40 offset using a 235/35 19 tires. This keeps the circumference of the wheel and tire virtually the same as stock and does not affect braking, handling or anything else. Offset from factory is +45. Stay close to that and you'll be fine.

OP
OP

krtnchls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You can do whatever what you want as long as you stay within specs. You can go as large as 20. I have 19s, they are 19x8 with a +40 offset using a 235/35 19 tires. This keeps the circumference of the wheel and tire virtually the same as stock and does not affect braking, handling or anything else. Offset from factory is +45. Stay close to that and you'll be fine.
Looking onto it. Thanks for that, it will help me to narrow my choices.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Offset on the Sport hatchback trims is +50 (wheels are 18x8 +50 with 235/40-18 tires) -- but the difference between +45 and +50 is hardly anything anyway.

(really trying to avoid mansplaining... I didn't type, "Well, actually,..." lol )

OP
OP

krtnchls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Offset on the Sport hatchback trims is +50 (wheels are 18x8 +50 with 235/40-18 tires) -- but the difference between +45 and +50 is hardly anything anyway.

(really trying to avoid mansplaining... I didn't type, "Well, actually,..." lol )
Thanks for that. Do you guys think its ok to just use HB sports' measurement to my lx? I hope you dont find my questions nonsense. Im really new to cars and stuffs so i really dont have any idea with these kind of things, so i really need your opinion and advices guys.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
It's fine, all stock options are roughly equal.

Pick out a wheel/tire combo you like, and ask on here if they'll fit. You want to watch out that the overall circumference of the tire doesn't change, or else your speedo/odo will be wrong. You also want to make sure you don't go too big to cause suspension issues, or go too small that you'll have brake clearance issues.

I find 19's are too big, and will make your ride quality suffer. I have 17" winters, and 18" summers.

Winters are stock size, 17x7 +38mm, with 215/50/17 tires
Summers are 18x8.5 +45, with 215/45/18 tires

OP
OP

krtnchls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's fine, all stock options are roughly equal.

Pick out a wheel/tire combo you like, and ask on here if they'll fit. You want to watch out that the overall circumference of the tire doesn't change, or else your speedo/odo will be wrong. You also want to make sure you don't go too big to cause suspension issues, or go too small that you'll have brake clearance issues.

I find 19's are too big, and will make your ride quality suffer. I have 17" winters, and 18" summers.

Winters are stock size, 17x7 +38mm, with 215/50/17 tires
Summers are 18x8.5 +45, with 215/45/18 tires
I Will consider this one as well and look which is better. Thanks man!

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you haven't bookmarked it yet, go to tiresize.com and try their comparison calculators.

Choose a tire width and wheel diameter, then try different aspect ratio/profile numbers to get a rolling circumference as close as possible to stock. Like inv4zn said, staying close to stock helps ensure that you won't be rubbing against suspension or fender liners, and you won't see much error in the speedometer or odometer. Understand that the max width of stock Civic tires now is 245, which come on the Type-R; so, I could expect to use 245s, or maybe 255s with an appropriate wheel offset, on my own car.

I'll go the opposite direction and consider stock sizes from other trims when downsizing from my Sport Touring's 18's, too, especially when I get around to putting together a set of winter wheels. I won't have any problems doing that.

Offset: in a practical sense, a higher number brings the tire inboard, and a lower number pushes it outboard. As an example, my car's using 235-width tires on wheels with a +50mm offset as the stock configuration; if I used the same tires on wheels with +20 offset, I'm pretty sure they'll rub on the edges of the fenders. There is not much to be gained from deviating very far from stock offset, and you can begin to affect the handling of the car by changing the scrub radius, too.

A couple other things:
- Make sure you use the right lug nuts for the wheels. Hondas use a rounded "ball seat", while most aftermarket wheels and lug nuts use a straight-tapered "cone seat". These are the only things holding the wheels to the car, and they're under a lot of mechanical stress. You don't want to damage the wheel with the wrong nuts.

- Hub rings: Our cars (like most, I think) use wheels that center onto hub flanges; our "center bore" size is 64.1 mm. Aftermarket wheels have a larger-than-stock center bore (often 75 mm), and you'll need to use centering rings (aka "hubcentric rings") to match them with your hubs. A reasonably good wheel retailer will include these rings. If you buy from elsewhere, you can order rings online, or do what I did once and have a machine shop cut a set for you.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I Will consider this one as well and look which is better. Thanks man!
Your stock size is 16x7 +45 offset with 215/55 16 tires. you can go here https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp and input your current set up in the first example, and then any setup you might want in the second and it will tell you how it fits

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hub rings: Our cars (like most, I think) use wheels that center onto hub flanges; our "center bore" size is 64.1 mm. Aftermarket wheels have a larger-than-stock center bore (often 75 mm), and you'll need to use centering rings (aka "hubcentric rings") to match them with your hubs. A reasonably good wheel retailer will include these rings. If you buy from elsewhere, you can order rings online, or do what I did once and have a machine shop cut a set for you.
Does tire rack offer centering rings?

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Does tire rack offer centering rings?
AFAIK, they include appropriate rings and lug nuts when you buy a wheel set from them.

When I needed to buy just some rings, Tire Rack wouldn't sell any to me. They're very picky about liability and don't want to sell any parts that they haven't measured and test-fitted themselves.

So, for that set of wheels, I bought a set of rings from either Discount Tire Direct or Evasive Motorsports (I forgot which).

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Get the plastic ones, not the metal. Metal rings will seize onto either the hub or the wheel...I know from experience.
I was told to get metal rings with the idea that plastic rings would melt from excessive heat.

Like someone said in another thread (maybe you?), plastic rings are fine for daily use, and won't be a problem unless the car is being tracked and the brakes are getting extra-hot.

I didn't have a problem with the aluminum rings I had, but I did two things: I usually sprayed a bit of PB Blaster on the outside of the hub flange before putting them on, hoping to stave off any dielectric corrosion that'd make them seize; and I normally switched to an OEM set of wheels with winter tires every fall, so the rings never sat long enough to corrode onto the hubs.

I also had plastic rings that supposedly had a Kevlar core. I didn't have any problems with them, either (but I never dissected them to see if they really contained Kevlar, either).

Last edited:

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Plastic rings are completely fine, of course on the basis that they're made of decent plastic.

Metal rings, apart from the dielectric corrosion potential, also seize because they expand/contract at different rates than the wheel, and the hub. I'm running metal ones right now on my TSW's because TSW makes some stupid sized centre bores, but if I had the option, would do plastic.

SonicTman

First Name
Justyne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sonic Grey LX HB, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Altitude
Country flag
Not trying to butt in but since I am in the same situation I figured I ask here instead of start a new thread. I have a stock LX HB and looking at a set of aftermarket rims with specs 17x7 ET42. I have used several tire calculators and I am not really seeing these and being a good option. Most recommend at least a 17x8. Would these fit without issues?
Sponsored