Phoenix Yellow 2020 Civic Type R facelift refresh model spotted testing at Nurburgring

FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
Does anyone here think this will be an AWD version? I know that’s unlikely, but I recently saw a tear down of a ctr on the VTEC Academy YouTube channel (its a year or so old by now). I’m it, the mechanic goes over the entire car, including dropping the engine out of it. He pointed out a few beefed up parts in the rear including a hump in the subframe that seems to indicate, according to him, that it could’ve be designed for an AWD system. Maybe Honda did research into it and just left the beefed up parts in the rear? I don’t know, just pulling at strings here until the thing comes out.
I don’t know why you or anyone would ask this? There’s no sense financially and where would a rear diff go? Such a stupid question considering the reality.... VTEC Authority is in the business to get clicks, they’re nothing more than speculative idiots with a web cam.

Last edited:

Robotaz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
I don’t know why you or anyone would ask this? There’s no sense financially and where would a rear diff go? Such a stupid question considering the reality.... VTEC Authority is in the business to get clicks, they’re nothing more than speculative idiots with a web cam.
Good grief lighten up, brah.

SixxSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Brah... Honda specifically engineered the rear of the car to fit a rear differential. Lighten up, brah. Theres room. No need to be so condescending, brah.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Bruh...search is your friend. I’m with Friscobrah, AWD trolls and speculation is annoying AF.
Coming from an EVO, and an STi, I love the Type R as it drives, as it sits. AWD would just add weight for no real gains other than flatbill launching off the line. Pfft. Not the purpose of this car. I love how it is just as it is, can't wait to try and get one!

GMK5321

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW M3 - 6MT
Country flag
I don’t know why I just got a bunch of hate. It’s just a car. I thought it would be neat to have awd as an option. You know, maybe make a great car better? It’s still possible to improve on the thing.

FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
Brah... Honda specifically engineered the rear of the car to fit a rear differential. Lighten up, brah. Theres room. No need to be so condescending, brah.
Lol I needed a good laugh. Awd isn’t coming lol. There’s room for a diff if you remove the gas tank, add a completely different suspension, and cut some of the floor pan out. It would require a complete rework of the car.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
But all the civics have a hump in the middle, which is for the exhaust to run. Honda also has made it a point that they will probably never go all-wheel drive because according to the designers and engineers they say it only adds weight. They have said in many interviews that they put more time in engineering a perfect suspension system on the type R to put traction down to the pavement, allowing it to keep weight down and traction high so it remains the best handling front wheel drive you can get. All while beating most all-wheel drives on the track. There is no mistaken, this is a track car and not a rally car

UnknownCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR SGP, Mercedes-Benz 2014 C250
Country flag
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Civic and CRV share the same basic chassis?

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Civic and CRV share the same basic chassis?
Correct. The hump exists on the latest Civic, Accord, CRV, TL because they share the same basic chassis/platform.

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My hope all along is that Honda stays FWD with the Civic Type R, but bestows upon us a rebirth of the Integra (either "Type S" or SH, or GS-R, whatever I don't care) and since that brand is all AWD, makes use of both AWD, all the amenities, and a dual clutch transmission, using the existing FK8 platform, engine, etc...

Would be a hell of a car. Not as raw or frantic as the CTR, but could perform really well, be priced competitively, and still maintain the FWD integrity of the CTR badge.

GMK5321

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW M3 - 6MT
Country flag
The guy asked a legit question in a polite and respectful manner. Flipping out on him is uncalled for and childish.

My $0.02 is that I would prefer the Type R remain FWD only. I think having an AWD offering would dilute the badge.

1. Heritage - Civic is FWD platform
2. AWD would increase weight - The Type R's ace in the hole compared to the competition is its lighter weight(largely enabled by using FWD instead of AWD). All other things unchanged AWD would make the Type R more expensive, have a lower power to weight ratio, make handling worse, and make braking worse.
Thank you for the polite response. You’re right for sure. I think the added price of the awd system would out the car in Golf R territory (just in terms of price). Then it’s sort of a harder choice which to choose because if your going for all our speed I think the golf would win especially with the ease of tuning. I was just curious because of that YouTube video I watched and since most of the competitors for this car are awd. It’s very impressive how well this car performs as an awd platform up against the awd competition though.

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
Thank you for the polite response. You’re right for sure. I think the added price of the awd system would out the car in Golf R territory (just in terms of price). Then it’s sort of a harder choice which to choose because if your going for all our speed I think the golf would win especially with the ease of tuning. I was just curious because of that YouTube video I watched and since most of the competitors for this car are awd. It’s very impressive how well this car performs as an awd platform up against the awd competition though.
I mean the car is already in Golf R territory with the ADMs and people are still buying them
Sponsored