AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I would stay out of boost whenever possible, certainly no WOT pulls. Pretty much limp it until you can get 93 in the tank.
Sponsored

m_kluch

First Name
Maryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Question for the 93 Octane Tune. If you're in an area where only 91 Octane is available, how does the tune react without causing knock in the engine? Is there a way to drive it with no issues (maybe comfort mode)?
The tune doesn't have the ability to have different ignition tables for the different drive modes so like alpha said you can just drive it normal without going full throttle and you will be fine. Phearable does say you can use “quality 91 octane” for that tune but I wouldnt roll the dice and just avoid full throttle. Staying in comfort mode would help to be out of boost because it has less partial throttle power request.

jhokie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Here's some feedback on the 93 Octane tune I've been running.

Tune feels very good, smoother and faster than stock or Hondata. I like it a lot! This is a great spot to have our car with some bolt ons.

I first tried the street throttle mapping. I have 19 inch rims with 255 P4S tires that are still new. Despite the overall solidness of the tune, I definitely felt like I was leaving a lot on the table in second gear. If you have wider tires you might want to think hard about the race throttle mapping.

After revising my tune to the race mapping. second gear feels very strong now. Though I can admit the race throttle mapping parameters are a little more aggressive when just cruising around, it's not bad. Still not as twitchy as a stock WRX I used to have (very aggressive partial throttle mapping stock, IMO a hack to sell cars based on a test drive).

chadwicke619

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP 2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm a little confused about the whole 91/93 OCTANE situation. I live in Southern California and 93 is not readily available. From all the sources I've read, it sounds like there's a 91 OCT version of the Phearable Stage 2 OTS Tune; however, as I read through this thread, people make the distinction between "quality" 91 OCT and (presumably) regular ol' 91 OCT? Am I supposed to know the difference? People are also talking about using 91 but not going full throttle, as if that would be damaging (which sounds terrible). I don't really want that risk.

I guess what I am getting at is... can I get the Phearable Stage 2 Tune for 91 OCT, run only 91 OCT, and drive it hard, just like stock, without having to worry about hurting my car? I don't want to have to think about which gas station I go to, or what percentage of throttle I'm giving it, or anything like that.

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SGP Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
I'm a little confused about the whole 91/93 OCTANE situation. I live in Southern California and 93 is not readily available. From all the sources I've read, it sounds like there's a 91 OCT version of the Phearable Stage 2 OTS Tune; however, as I read through this thread, people make the distinction between "quality" 91 OCT and (presumably) regular ol' 91 OCT? Am I supposed to know the difference? People are also talking about using 91 but not going full throttle, as if that would be damaging (which sounds terrible). I don't really want that risk.

I guess what I am getting at is... can I get the Phearable Stage 2 Tune for 91 OCT, run only 91 OCT, and drive it hard, just like stock, without having to worry about hurting my car? I don't want to have to think about which gas station I go to, or what percentage of throttle I'm giving it, or anything like that.
All ACN 91 is terrible. There is a reason some tuning platforms have separate basemaps for ACN 91 (Arizona, California and Nevada) and 91 basemaps. Quality 91 is probably 91 from other states. What you can do is run 1 gallon of e85 per 1 full tank of 91.

phearable

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Tuner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.phearable.net
Vehicle(s)
Tuner
Country flag

The 91 octane phearable stage 2 tune was developed on California 91 octane therefor you will be fine.

Quality 91 octane means no Costco fuel or some random source that is known to supply subpar quality fuel.

phearable

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Tuner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.phearable.net
Vehicle(s)
Tuner
Country flag
Question for the 93 Octane Tune. If you're in an area where only 91 Octane is available, how does the tune react without causing knock in the engine? Is there a way to drive it with no issues (maybe comfort mode)?
You would experience elevated knock retard. Same as if you were to run 87 octane in a stock fk8. Not recommended but you will be able to drive the vehicle normally if needed.

chadwicke619

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The 91 octane phearable stage 2 tune was developed on California 91 octane therefor you will be fine.

Quality 91 octane means no Costco fuel or some random source that is known to supply subpar quality fuel.
That was exactly what I wanted to know - thank you for that quick response. I have one more question, if you don't mind, while I have your attention in this once-again-revived thread. The description on Phearable.net says that the Street option has a less aggressive first and second gear - is it otherwise the same as the Race option (in all of the other gears)? Thanks again.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag

Yikes, I’ve ran Costco 93 for a while with no issues on phearable stage 2. It’s rated top tier and always ran strong.

phearable

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Tuner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.phearable.net
Vehicle(s)
Tuner
Country flag
Yikes, I’ve ran Costco 93 for a while with no issues on phearable stage 2. It’s rated top tier and always ran strong.
Several customers using Costco fuel have had issues with its quality. If your having luck with it, that’s fine.

phearable

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Tuner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.phearable.net
Vehicle(s)
Tuner
Country flag
That was exactly what I wanted to know - thank you for that quick response. I have one more question, if you don't mind, while I have your attention in this once-again-revived thread. The description on Phearable.net says that the Street option has a less aggressive first and second gear - is it otherwise the same as the Race option (in all of the other gears)? Thanks again.
Not exactly. As outlined on our website:
Throttle Mapping Options:
Street - First and second gears are configured to output less power than the race mapping at full throttle thus helping traction.
Race - First and second gears are much more aggressive. Third through sixth gear have more torque request at partial throttle in sport and R mode. Too much throttle may cause wheel spin, especially if you don't have upgraded tires.

Tyrannosaurus WRX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 WRX
Country flag
Due to living in CO, Denver surrounding areas in higher altitude, I opted for the Phearable Custom Remote Tune. Car has a full Turbo Back Exhaust and PRL intake Etuned by Phearable for 91 Octane as that's what we have in Colorado. I would say my tune is probably the same as his 91 Octane canned tune sold online just slightly modified to be dialed in for my car and higher altitude/91 octane.

First off experience was awesome as John reached out to me to find out exactly what I was looking for in my tune. There was a problem with my tune in the middle of the process, as higher altitude maybe made worse by stock downpipe and stock front pipe. Switched to PRL downpipe in the middle of my tunning process and John was in constant contact as we worked through some AF ocilation, which eventually got tuned out smooth. Car runs hard and I dyno'd on a local Dyno 371 WHP.

As far as part throttle feel. Car feels freaking awesome! Love love the throttle feel now. Coming from a super twitchy WRX part throttle, this tune is NOTHING like that. Just feels so much better than stock. I can not imagine going back to stock tune now. I have since ran another local Type R with bolt on and tune and pulled by 3 car lengths. Could be some driver advantage, I could tell my R was just faster than the other.

Traction control seems to work well. Maybe John can chime in but I'm not sure if I'm on the street traction tune or race? But the car hooks up much better than it did in stock tune. I am also running a new pair of Michelin Pilot Spot 4S's on factory wheels and with these tires and tune I basically don't even spin in 2nd anymore, just a little bit it first.

I've meant to post an actual thread to leave a review, hoping to help others with information. I think I still may post this review in a separate thread. Hopefully this helps anyone interested. Johnn is the real deal and I highly recommend a Phearable tune!! Most impressive was how fast his turn around was with the next revision! I really relied on his quick turnaround as I did this in the winter and had some short windows to get the next data logs between snow storms. Much props to John/Phearable!!

phearable

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Tuner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.phearable.net
Vehicle(s)
Tuner
Country flag
Due to living in CO, Denver surrounding areas in higher altitude, I opted for the Phearable Custom Remote Tune. Car has a full Turbo Back Exhaust and PRL intake Etuned by Phearable for 91 Octane as that's what we have in Colorado. I would say my tune is probably the same as his 91 Octane canned tune sold online just slightly modified to be dialed in for my car and higher altitude/91 octane.

First off experience was awesome as John reached out to me to find out exactly what I was looking for in my tune. There was a problem with my tune in the middle of the process, as higher altitude maybe made worse by stock downpipe and stock front pipe. Switched to PRL downpipe in the middle of my tunning process and John was in constant contact as we worked through some AF ocilation, which eventually got tuned out smooth. Car runs hard and I dyno'd on a local Dyno 371 WHP.

As far as part throttle feel. Car feels freaking awesome! Love love the throttle feel now. Coming from a super twitchy WRX part throttle, this tune is NOTHING like that. Just feels so much better than stock. I can not imagine going back to stock tune now. I have since ran another local Type R with bolt on and tune and pulled by 3 car lengths. Could be some driver advantage, I could tell my R was just faster than the other.

Traction control seems to work well. Maybe John can chime in but I'm not sure if I'm on the street traction tune or race? But the car hooks up much better than it did in stock tune. I am also running a new pair of Michelin Pilot Spot 4S's on factory wheels and with these tires and tune I basically don't even spin in 2nd anymore, just a little bit it first.

I've meant to post an actual thread to leave a review, hoping to help others with information. I think I still may post this review in a separate thread. Hopefully this helps anyone interested. Johnn is the real deal and I highly recommend a Phearable tune!! Most impressive was how fast his turn around was with the next revision! I really relied on his quick turnaround as I did this in the winter and had some short windows to get the next data logs between snow storms. Much props to John/Phearable!!
Thanks for taking the time to give feedback!

chadwicke619

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not exactly. As outlined on our website:
Throttle Mapping Options:
Street - First and second gears are configured to output less power than the race mapping at full throttle thus helping traction.
Race - First and second gears are much more aggressive. Third through sixth gear have more torque request at partial throttle in sport and R mode. Too much throttle may cause wheel spin, especially if you don't have upgraded tires.
Whoops, I guess I missed that. So is the Street option still more aggressive than stock at partial throttle in the other gears, just not as aggressive as Race? Do most people take Street, or Race? I want aggressive mapping, but not so aggressive that I can't still be subtle with the throttle if I choose.

phearable

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Tuner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.phearable.net
Vehicle(s)
Tuner
Country flag
Whoops, I guess I missed that. So is the Street option still more aggressive than stock at partial throttle in the other gears, just not as aggressive as Race? Do most people take Street, or Race? I want aggressive mapping, but not so aggressive that I can't still be subtle with the throttle if I choose.
Correct. Most people choose street.
Sponsored