Tuner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.phearable.net
Vehicle(s)
Tuner
Country flag
Stock CTR except wheels + tires- went from Hondata 93 octane basemap to Phearable- night and day improvement on the way the throttle responds, builds power, and the linear way the car pulls. 100% worth the money.
Glad to hear that Stan!
Sponsored

m_kluch

First Name
Maryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Stock CTR except wheels + tires- went from Hondata 93 octane basemap to Phearable- night and day improvement on the way the throttle responds, builds power, and the linear way the car pulls. 100% worth the money.
Would you say that the new tune has more or less power at light to medium throttle inputs than the Hondata tune?
Also, you say “linear way the car pulls.” You feel as though the surge in power between 3k-3500 is less than the Hondata tune?
How is the power in 1st and second gear? It it toned down enough for you to grip/semi-grip or do you spin easily?

Im very close to pulling the trigger on this tune but dont want something thats overpowered during normal driving and in 1st and 2nd gear since I wouldn't be able to adjust the torque tables down myself.

Last edited:

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Would you say that the new tune has more or less power at light to medium throttle inputs than the Hondata tune?
Also, you say “linear way the car pulls.” You feel as though the surge in power between 3k-3500 is less than the Hondata tune?
How is the power in 1st and second gear? It it toned down enough for you to grip/semi-grip or do you spin easily?

Im very close to pulling the trigger on this tune but dont want something thats overpowered during normal driving and in 1st and 2nd gear since I wouldn't be able to adjust the torque tables down myself.
Feels very usable during normal driving- not at all too touchy. 100% livable.

When pulling hard 1st and 2nd definitely grip better than the basemaps.

Sinistah89

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
So, it looks like this tune is pretty good from what Im hearing, I think $250 is VERY fair! A few questions:
Is launch control at 4k a good idea?
Shifting at 7200 a good idea? Im not sure if turbo dies down especially since after tune, turbo spools quicker
Hows the traction control adjustment?

Im asking these because If I do go to a track, Its usually drag racing, I dont plan on doing circuits YET, even though this car is made for those.

m_kluch

First Name
Maryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Getting my tune in a day or two. I will post a review on it here. Also, I will compare power numbers using virtual dyno of a stock equivalent map, Ktuner stage 1.1 with a slight modification and this Phearable tune.

xdecemberguy

First Name
Randrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
How long will the tune be on sale? Waiting for a couple of parts to come in..

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
I have customized my throttle map for all modes, especially comfort. I don’t live in a smoothly paved state :-(
Will your tune lock this customization out?
Are you saying that you can adjust your throttle sensitivity, I’m assuming through the Hondata tunes? If so, can you provide some guidance. I would like to do the same to my base Hondata tune.

phearable

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Tuner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.phearable.net
Vehicle(s)
Tuner
Country flag
I have customized my throttle map for all modes, especially comfort. I don’t live in a smoothly paved state :-(
Will your tune lock this customization out?
Our tune is setup to our liking which most people will absolutely love.

If you want a customized tune to your liking you would need a custom etune which we offer on our website https://www.phearable.net/tuning-software/etune.html

m_kluch

First Name
Maryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Got my Phearable tune this morning. Went out and did some 4th gear pulls. Plotted the pulls into Virtual Dyno. Pulls were all done on the same stretch of road. I corrected the dyno plots for IAT 1 temps (post intercooler).

The contenders were;
Ktuner 1.1 with an additional 1.5 degrees of ignition advance from 4800 to redline
Ktuner factory equivalent map
Phearable stage 2

My mods are KN air filter, Perrin IC and one of the resonators is cut out of my factory exhaust. Running 93 octane fuel.

Ktuner 1.1 vs Factory equivalent
Honda Civic 10th gen Phearable Tune for the FK8 BE43D627-7914-432E-8836-F271B026655D

Phearable vs factory equivalent
Honda Civic 10th gen Phearable Tune for the FK8 B4EDEE39-6F67-47EA-9972-77CF1C9ACEBF

Phearable vs Ktuner 1.1
Honda Civic 10th gen Phearable Tune for the FK8 7B35DBBF-4777-487E-B593-F8F635924071

All three tunes
Honda Civic 10th gen Phearable Tune for the FK8 838AD572-A1D6-4B1C-9823-4621C532D80C

I havent really driven on it much so I cant give any impressions on it other than reporting my WOT numbers via Virtual Dyno.
Interesting note about the factory equivalent tune. I could actually feel the oscillation of power as the turbo was spooling up and was wondering if it would show on the graph. Sure enough its there.

Last edited:

m_kluch

First Name
Maryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
An update to the post above. To make a long story short, I went back to the Ktuner 1.1 map.

The long story: The part throttle torque mapping sucks! Now, this is not just the Phearable tune, the Ktuner 1.1 tune also had terrible part throttle mapping before I adjusted it (although not as bad as the Phearable's). The thing is, you can't adjust the Phearable tune's torque request because it's locked. Comfort mode on the Phearable tune is like a stock tune meaning stock WOT and part throttle power which is a little sluggish. Switching to sport mode you get full power at WOT and a crap ton more power at partial throttle. That is, way too much power in partial throttle. I literally had to try to barely touch the accelerator pedal so I didn't look like a douche bag that thinks he's at the Indy 500 every time I'm accelerating. To be fair, first gear's part throttle is nice but the latter gears are where it gets stupid. It's very unnatural feeling. Looking at the tunerview PSI gauge, I was boosting anywhere from 5 to 15 PSI of boost just barely pressing on the gas pedal. I don't understand how anybody can like this type of throttle mapping. I like to control when I want my car to go fast not my car to control it. 25% gas pedal input and you will be smoking most basic cars made in the 90s lol.

In conclusion, the Phearable tune has a smooth power delivery, great idle and huge full throttle power. I didn't experience any unusual accelertion problems like stuttering or power loss. 1st gear was tame enough to keep decent traction under heavy acceleration. The only thing I didn't like about this tune is the part throttle power delivery and unfortunately it was a huge problem for me not just a minor one.

In the end, I'm not too disappointed in buying this tune because it showed me what the FK8 can handle in terms of tuning on premium fuel and after studying the Phearable tunes' datalogs I was able to further modify my previous Ktuner 1.1 tune to make more power and match Phearab;e's WOT power while keeping my part throttle mapping the way I like it. Here is a picture of my modified tune compared to Phearable's.

Red line is Phearable
Honda Civic 10th gen Phearable Tune for the FK8 0B504569-3D9A-4091-A496-10628031BE81

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
An update to the post above. To make a long story short, I went back to the Ktuner 1.1 map.

The long story: The part throttle torque mapping sucks! Now, this is not just the Phearable tune, the Ktuner 1.1 tune also had terrible part throttle mapping before I adjusted it (although not as bad as the Phearable's). The thing is, you can't adjust the Phearable tune's torque request because it's locked. Comfort mode on the Phearable tune is like a stock tune meaning stock WOT and part throttle power which is a little sluggish. Switching to sport mode you get full power at WOT and a crap ton more power at partial throttle. That is, way too much power in partial throttle. I literally had to try to barely touch the accelerator pedal so I didn't look like a douche bag that thinks he's at the Indy 500 every time I'm accelerating. To be fair, first gear's part throttle is nice but the latter gears are where it gets stupid. It's very unnatural feeling. Looking at the tunerview PSI gauge, I was boosting anywhere from 5 to 15 PSI of boost just barely pressing on the gas pedal. I don't understand how anybody can like this type of throttle mapping. I like to control when I want my car to go fast not my car to control it. 25% gas pedal input and you will be smoking most basic cars made in the 90s lol.

In conclusion, the Phearable tune has a smooth power delivery, great idle and huge full throttle power. I didn't experience any unusual accelertion problems like stuttering or power loss. 1st gear was tame enough to keep decent traction under heavy acceleration. The only thing I didn't like about this tune is the part throttle power delivery and unfortunately it was a huge problem for me not just a minor one.

In the end, I'm not too disappointed in buying this tune because it showed me what the FK8 can handle in terms of tuning on premium fuel and after studying the Phearable tunes' datalogs I was able to further modify my previous Ktuner 1.1 tune to make more power and match Phearab;e's WOT power while keeping my part throttle mapping the way I like it. Here is a picture of my modified tune compared to Phearable's.

Red line is Phearable
0B504569-3D9A-4091-A496-10628031BE81.jpeg
This is why I asked my question about if the throttle map was locked. But like he said, you gotta pay more or maybe it’s not an option.

No matter the case I personally want full control over the throttle map at all times, not just once. I’ve refined mine over the years.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Shame to hear your most recent update, @m_kluch. I’ve been running the Phearable tune on my Si for the past year with fantastic results. I’m reluctant to mod my R though as I feel like it’s pretty dang good straight from the factory and don’t think I’m ready to crank the wild knob any further yet.

armenls1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R
Country flag
Very interested in getting the Phearable tune for my FBO FK8, i'm already on the Hondata 93 octane tune and I feel like the car woke up big time. Is it worth going from the basemap to this or just pick up a more customized e tune?

CHiNG818

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
@phearable interested in the stage 2 tune for my type r. I am FBO with the Eventuri inlet pipe and intake. Am i good to go for the tune as i see no option for my specific intake? thanks in advance.
Sponsored