First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've heard good things about this tune, however as with any OTS maps I would at the least pay for the log review to see how the car is behaving. But, at that point it just makes more sense to just pay for an E-tune. Many will argue that a close to stock car doesn't necessitate a custom tune. However, you as the end user are leaving a lot on the table in terms of potential by using a tune that is suited for "all" cars instead of your car. Taking into account things like fuel quality, DA, installed parts, etc. will come into play for your car's health.

Again, no knock on Phearable at all, but even they would probably agree that a custom tune is always the way to go.
Nothing wrong with anything you said. Custom rocks but consider thisā€¦(opinion, so dispute at will).

FK8s with same exact mods/components with same tune arenā€™t that much different. I think a custom tune would certainly make owner feel better but likely wonā€™t achieve significant gains, 5-10 percent at best. Iā€™m happy and have faith John Vega did us all right and for the price diff, donā€™t mind thinking I may have a few more or less HP than someone who went custom. Restated, cars arenā€™t that much diff with same parts & tune.

Please keep one thing in mind though, Phearable tunes are not purely OTS tunes as theyā€™re each selected for your specific configuration combo of mod components, not a generic category. Thatā€™s sort of customized already without the fine custom tweaking to release every pony.

YMMV, BNI.
Sponsored

Boostd4

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic Type R, 1995 Acura Integra GSR
Country flag
Nothing wrong with anything you said. Custom rocks but consider thisā€¦(opinion, so dispute at will).

FK8s with same exact mods/components with same tune arenā€™t that much different. I think a custom tune would certainly make owner feel better but likely wonā€™t achieve significant gains, 5-10 percent at best. Iā€™m happy and have faith John Vega did us all right and for the price diff, donā€™t mind thinking I may have a few more or less HP than someone who went custom. Restated, cars arenā€™t that much diff with same parts & tune.

Please keep one thing in mind though, Phearable tunes are not purely OTS tunes as theyā€™re each selected for your specific configuration combo of mod components, not a generic category. Thatā€™s sort of customized already without the fine custom tweaking to release every pony.

YMMV, BNI.
Between John Vega and DRob, these are the only hands that would touch my car's ECU lol.

I agree, John has seen hundreds of these cars with very similar configurations...but, me personally, I'd want to know that my car is happy. Living in CA and suffering with the "gasoline" we have here has always had me on edge. I think it's the PTSD from tuning my 2009 GTR years ago and seeing the quite scary logs from using the Cobb OTS maps. It wasn't necessarily anything wrong with their tunes...it was purely the fuel quality.

If I had access to E85 free 93 octane I'd probably be more for setting and forgetting it with John's tune. But, like I said before I'd at least have him eyeball the logs before I romped on the car.

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Between John Vega and DRob, these are the only hands that would touch my car's ECU lol.

I agree, John has seen hundreds of these cars with very similar configurations...but, me personally, I'd want to know that my car is happy. Living in CA and suffering with the "gasoline" we have here has always had me on edge. I think it's the PTSD from tuning my 2009 GTR years ago and seeing the quite scary logs from using the Cobb OTS maps. It wasn't necessarily anything wrong with their tunes...it was purely the fuel quality.

If I had access to E85 free 93 octane I'd probably be more for setting and forgetting it with John's tune. But, like I said before I'd at least have him eyeball the logs before I romped on the car.
Agree, PRC is PITA.

We have 93 in FL but no E85 within 80 miles in NW panhandle. I did slip some about 1.5Gals and it helped.

Boostd4

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic Type R, 1995 Acura Integra GSR
Country flag
Agree, PRC is PITA.

We have 93 in FL but no E85 within 80 miles in NW panhandle. I did slip some about 1.5Gals and it helped.
We have about 10% blended into our 91 here (which I verified to be about 8-9% with the GTR) which still is just a really small band aid for the fuel we get here. I've toyed with the idea of putting in a gallon of E85 per tank just to keep the knock sensors happy...but I'd really need to discuss with John or Derek when I finally tune this thing.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
It's been discussed for years here. D-Rob and J. Vega both recommend adding a gallon of E85 per tankful of 91 with their canned tunes.

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
It's been discussed for years here. D-Rob and J. Vega both recommend adding a gallon of E85 per tankful of 91 with their canned tunes.
Off-topic but did you update your picture!!! And if so, are those some titan 7ā€™s I see you rocking, sir?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've had the wheels for a while. Some nice wheels I got at Tire Rack. Not Titans tho but I like 'em. šŸ˜Ž