Phearable Stage 1 Tune

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Maybe it’s more of a stutter. Slight jerkiness briefly when coming off the throttle at certain RPMs. I don’t think it’s anything of concern, but I don’t think it was apparent before I tuned the car. I’m fine with a this as a slight drawback while adding boost/acceleration/torque and reduction of rev hang from the tune.
I do think it sounds like the rev-hang is causing that when coming off the throttle. Since the throttle closes almost fully there's some jerkiness due to the significant engine braking. Try enabling cruise control so that rev-hang is re-enabled and see if you still see the same thing.
Sponsored

dathoneycomb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R Touring (SGP) (sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Try enabling cruise control so that rev-hang is re-enabled and see if you still see the same thing.
Thanks for the suggestion. I forgot it was that easy to enable rev hang. I rarely ever use cruise.

I just did some testing and it's definitely related to rev hang being disabled. When I enabled cruise, it became much smoother. You can see the difference if you watch the tach, rev hang keeps the RPMs steady for the same amount of time that, with rev hang disabled, you can see the RPMs waver up and down.

I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with playing around with the throttle padding quick adjustment, but I found some discussion about this issue here: http://www.ktuner.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=579

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Thanks for the suggestion. I forgot it was that easy to enable rev hang. I rarely ever use cruise.

I just did some testing and it's definitely related to rev hang being disabled. When I enabled cruise, it became much smoother. You can see the difference if you watch the tach, rev hang keeps the RPMs steady for the same amount of time that, with rev hang disabled, you can see the RPMs waver up and down.

I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with playing around with the throttle padding quick adjustment, but I found some discussion about this issue here: http://www.ktuner.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=579
Unfortunately I don't believe the throttle padding is adjustable on these locked tunes, like Phearable or TSP.

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda civic Si sedan, 2016 Honda civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do think it sounds like the rev-hang is causing that when coming off the throttle. Since the throttle closes almost fully there's some jerkiness due to the significant engine braking. Try enabling cruise control so that rev-hang is re-enabled and see if you still see the same thing.
This jerkiness that you're explaining, It feels like limp throttle right? It seems to happen a whole lot when the engine is heat soaked. Am I correct?

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
This jerkiness that you're explaining, It feels like limp throttle right? It seems to happen a whole lot when the engine is heat soaked. Am I correct?
Not sure what you mean by "limp throttle", but I can't say I've noticed any difference based on temperature.

dathoneycomb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R Touring (SGP) (sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think that’s something different. This happens when I take my foot off the gas, briefly. Like, instead of rev hang, I get a bit of a chug for a sec.

Valenzx

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
I have that issue with TSP stage 1 and I believe it's due to having rev hang disabled. You'll get the jerk if you apply gas in the same gear with out an upshift.

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not sure what you mean by "limp throttle", but I can't say I've noticed any difference based on temperature.

Yes, like he said, once you let off the gas for a sec, then slightly place your foot back on ... there basically nothing, then a gargle/choppy feeling, then followed by a crap ton of knock reports then finally its stable again. That sound about right?
Also, this seems to happen more when the ECT 2 is at, or around 130+

This use to happen to me a lot when my fuel trims were around -9 or more. Now im sitting around -4ish at its worse.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like I have some jerkiness if I don't let my car get to idle RPMs. That seems to he the only variable for me.

I usually don't start driving until it comes down to ~750 RPM, but If I do go on a spirited drive immediately after turning my car on, then I get some hesitation in that 2-3 upshift.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag
So I went out tonight and drove around and got off/on the throttle with the main cruise switch on and then the same with it off. There was no lag/jerkiness with the cruise enabled. So I guess what I was experiencing was a byproduct of rev-hang being disabled as when it's enabled the car is perfectly smooth throttle input wise. Weird.

Most of my commute the days that I do drive to my office is on the freeway so I use the adaptive cruise 80% of my drive so rev-hang in enabled and I'm fine with it most of the time. The only time I would want it truly disabled is on the track on on the mountain roads where I'm rev-matching shifts and/or heel-toe'ing. Unfortunately, that isn't part of my daily drive in this car.

Knappy17

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan Red
Country flag
I feel like I have some jerkiness if I don't let my car get to idle RPMs. That seems to he the only variable for me.

I usually don't start driving until it comes down to ~750 RPM, but If I do go on a spirited drive immediately after turning my car on, then I get some hesitation in that 2-3 upshift.
Absolutely agree. If I don't let the car warm up, the shifts are not smooth at all. Always thought it was just me

DmK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI
Country flag
So another thing which i noticed that whenever I'm trying to do a moderate pull my Knock Count jumping to 5.5 and if I understand it right it's pulling down fuel timing?
(First i thought that the issue was an outside temperature, but today it was 66F and it was doing the same thing)
Knock Control .49 all the time (except millisecond you will be able to see it on Photo, prior this one i did 2 other pulls Knock .49) most likely it was just a glitch.
No misfires

Overall i love how this tune works for daily. It just some small things which i don't understand whats going on...

Honda Civic 10th gen Phearable Stage 1 Tune 1C838626-CAF7-4A41-A6A0-F9420DA4FCE8

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

You should NEVER have any Spirited driving before letting your car warm up properly..... or else we will likely be adding you to the failures list soon.. Lol.. always let it warm up.. no more than 3-4 psi during warm up if you absolutely have to.

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So another thing which i noticed that whenever I'm trying to do a moderate pull my Knock Count jumping to 5.5 and if I understand it right it's pulling down fuel timing?
(First i thought that the issue was an outside temperature, but today it was 66F and it was doing the same thing)
Knock Control .49 all the time (except millisecond you will be able to see it on Photo, prior this one i did 2 other pulls Knock .49) most likely it was just a glitch.
No misfires

Overall i love how this tune works for daily. It just some small things which i don't understand whats going on...

1C838626-CAF7-4A41-A6A0-F9420DA4FCE8.jpeg
I would reach out to phearable and have them look. I can't run their tune for a similar issue ... except my Knock control shoots WAY up after just 1 pull.. well 80% of the time it does. I mean I will see it jump to like .65 right? then when I go easy to get it back down.... it just starts going up... some times to .95 or higher... TSP ... NO issues WHAT so ever... so idk ....

I was hoping the 27Won intake would resolve this... and it didnt. It just doesnt happen on every pull now. Trims are decent too.

DmK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I would reach out to phearable and have them look. I can't run their tune for a similar issue ... except my Knock control shoots WAY up after just 1 pull.. well 80% of the time it does. I mean I will see it jump to like .65 right? then when I go easy to get it back down.... it just starts going up... some times to .95 or higher... TSP ... NO issues WHAT so ever... so idk ....

I was hoping the 27Won intake would resolve this... and it didnt. It just doesnt happen on every pull now. Trims are decent too.
I’d assume that it’s just a spark, since as I said it was just a millisecond and I was able to see it only on Datalog, Tuner view always stays dead .49.

you can see it in upper diagram with proper time, Knock Control - black line

also I contacted Pherable and they saying it is normal....but I’m still not convinced.
Sponsored

Last edited: