earlmg

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
To run full e85, yes. However if you're just going to put a gallon or two (at most) in with your 91 or 93 octane gas, then a flex fuel kit isn't necessary.
Is there a way for me to track how much E85 is in my car? I never knew that I can add a gallon or two until now and thinking of doing it. Or do you recommend just waiting until my tank is empty to refill if there isn't a way?

Also, I read that running E85 can give you gains, do you know how much gains I can get If I ran a gallon or two of E85?
Sponsored

OP
OP
rwk226

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is there a way for me to track how much E85 is in my car? I never knew that I can add a gallon or two until now and thinking of doing it. Or do you recommend just waiting until my tank is empty to refill if there isn't a way?

Also, I read that running E85 can give you gains, do you know how much gains I can get If I ran a gallon or two of E85?
No, not unless you do install a flex fuel kit AFAIK. Maybe someone can correct me?
And honestly, just a gallon every fill up won't hurt, and shouldn't need to be tracked. My rule of thumb is to put in a gallon of e85 once I get below 1/4th, then fill the rest of the way with 93.

E85 can definitely provide gains in performance, but at a single gallon it won't do much. The primary use for a gallon of e85 with a tank of 93/91 is to a) make the fuel have a higher octane count, and b) help enhance your fuel if you have crappy/low grade/quality fuel where you live. I don't think it's until e35 mix where you'll actually see/feel noticeable performance gain.

earlmg

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
No, not unless you do install a flex fuel kit AFAIK. Maybe someone can correct me?
And honestly, just a gallon every fill up won't hurt, and shouldn't need to be tracked. My rule of thumb is to put in a gallon of e85 once I get below 1/4th, then fill the rest of the way with 93.

E85 can definitely provide gains in performance, but at a single gallon it won't do much. The primary use for a gallon of e85 with a tank of 93/91 is to a) make the fuel have a higher octane count, and b) help enhance your fuel if you have crappy/low grade/quality fuel where you live. I don't think it's until e35 mix where you'll actually see/feel noticeable performance gain.
Gotcha. Another question, I was thinking of buying the tune first and then the PRL Cai. I was looking at Pherable's website and before you buy a tune, you have to select if you have a stock intake or a modified one. If I buy the tune and later on buy a CAI, do I have to buy another tune with the right intake selected or is it fine if I can still run it with the stock intake selected

OP
OP
rwk226

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Gotcha. Another question, I was thinking of buying the tune first and then the PRL Cai. I was looking at Pherable's website and before you buy a tune, you have to select if you have a stock intake or a modified one. If I buy the tune and later on buy a CAI, do I have to buy another tune with the right intake selected or is it fine if I can still run it with the stock intake selected
You won't be able to buy the Phearable tune and run it with a different MAF than selected at the buy page, I don't think. What you could do is buy the Phearable 1.5 with the PRL CAI MAF selected, run just the Dual 21psi Ktuner map for a while (not a bad tune at all), then once you get your new intake you can flash the Phearable tune on. While I didn't buy an aftermarket intake, that's what I did. I ran with the Dual 21psi w/ quick adjustments for a while, then flashed Phearable 1.5.

Or, buy the 1.5 tune with stock MAF selected, then when you buy your intake you could pay for a MAF change when it comes time.

dbagged86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
How about 4 gallons of E85 mixed with 8 gallons of 91 octane gasoline?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
If you mix 8 gallons of 91 (and assuming it's E10) with 4 gallons of ethanol, my math says that would be E40. You'd need a flex fuel kit. But that's too much ethanol IMO anyway.

Just splash your E10 91 with 1 to maybe 1.5 gallons E85 max per full tank. That should play well with the Phearable 1.5 tune.

Honestly though if it was my car, I'd just start by adding a single gallon per tank and see where that put knock control.

Last edited:

FK7 Civic Pilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
per calculator on Wallace Racing site, I generally mix no more than 1.5 gal of E85 with 10.5 gal of 91 pump gas ( has another 10% ethanol in it ) to get around 93 octane. While I don't have the Phearable 1.5R tune, the mix ratio with the 1.5 non-SI tune keeps the knock control usually in the .49 range with spikes up to .76 on hard pulls.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/ethanol-mix-calc.php

dbagged86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
If you mix 8 gallons of 91 (and assuming it's E10) with 4 gallons of ethanol, my math says that would be E40. You'd need a flex fuel kit. But that's too much ethanol IMO anyway.

Just splash your E10 91 with 1 to maybe 1.5 gallons E85 max per full tank. That should play well with the Phearable 1.5 tune.

Honestly though if it was my car, I'd just start by adding a single gallon per tank and see where that put knock control.
My car has a custom tune and the e85 blend I've been using makes E35 (94 octane )

33light

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic ex 2021
Country flag
I'm on this tune running 91 as there is no e85 or 93 in the area. However, a friend in a 2016 Audi A4 wanted to see how fast my Civic was and so we did a 40 roll and I pulled on him so easily it made me wonder how much power exactly my Civic made.

Those A4s come with a 2.0T with 220hp/258tq.
This is so funny because my friend has a 2017 a4 and I gapped him easily
Sponsored