xile6

First Name
jermaul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si, 05 scion tc turbo , 98 honda civic turbo
Country flag
Yeah man, most likely the normal range considering your weather and setup if its been consistent. At the end of the day these OTS tunes are cookie cutter tunes trying to be as optimal for as many cars and conditions as possible, can't be the exakt same for everybody.
Yep.
I do a little bit of tuning myself on the older gens. (Ive used crome, hondatan s30o, neptune and aem fic)

Normally i would tune in the summer and then retune it in the winter. Just to get into the different temp maps.

But i got no problem with this Race tune.
Sponsored

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Yeah man, most likely the normal range considering your weather and setup if its been consistent. At the end of the day these OTS tunes are cookie cutter tunes trying to be as optimal for as many cars and conditions as possible, can't be the exakt same for everybody.
Exactly. They all use excel spreadsheets and combined averages from all the different aftermarket maf sensor housing/locations. Which I think is a god awful way of operating a vehicle you dont want problems with but I digress.....

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly. They all use excel spreadsheets and combined averages from all the different aftermarket maf sensor housing/locations. Which I think is a god awful way of operating a vehicle you dont want problems with but I digress.....
Not too god awful apparently. My Phearable 1.5 tune's LTFT is rock steady at 0 to -1.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Not too god awful apparently. My Phearable 1.5 tune's LTFT is rock steady at 0 to -1.
For some it works. Others talking about avoiding long idle time to prevent -14 ltft etc. Ive seen data of maf scale from other vehicles where the short trim plotting is literally all over the place while the long term is fairly steady/reasonable with OTS options. Rescale the maf and using a different tune; it was fine again with minimal effort.

Its just not that difficult to do...yet people would rather risk their vehicle to an off the shelf email upload rather than understanding the process and what is going on.

You shouldnt have to "drive around" the wonky trimming so your car fits into a tune.
The tune should fit the car.

I just feel bad for the cars/owners nowadays that do have a negative outcome...cranking 25-27psi...with short term going as high as 20+% correction either direction even for a moment is no bueno.

Of course when you average alot of averages you end up with an "average" long term trim. LOL.

Not picking, just stating an opinion.

What intake are you using gtman?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a basic "stage 1 style" setup. The OEM airbox with a PRL silicone hose and aFe dry filter.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a basic "stage 1 style" setup. The OEM airbox with a PRL silicone hose and aFe dry filter.
Thats what I was thinking you were using. Slap anything other than a stock airbox on it and then monitor trim behavior....add a downpipe....intercooler...

Its just crazy to me but Im also not on here or into these cars to make money so.....

Someone told me not that long ago "remember its a business man!"

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im sure you remember MAP losing their first mule test motor from a failed oil pump after they bumped the rev limit. Whats that raised rev limit store in the computer for an "over-rev" condition?

xile6

First Name
jermaul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si, 05 scion tc turbo , 98 honda civic turbo
Country flag
Im sure you remember MAP losing their first mule test motor from a failed oil pump after they bumped the rev limit. Whats that raised rev limit store in the computer for an "over-rev" condition?
True.
I do think the over rev code is only set if you miss shift. So if the limiter is set to 6.2 or 7k it cuts fuel and stops you no ode set.
But if you downshift it easily goes pass it and code is set.

But not 100% sure. I believe ive seen it posted somewhere.

And as you said with everything. An off the shelf tune is an off the shelf tune.
They make then for tons of different cars and for the most part they work just fine.
Which pays the bills and keeps customers happy.

So for me. Im fine in an off the shelf but im not going to push it ti its limits.
Also i have an understanding and know what to look out for.

But i know some dont.

brendonsiX

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic SI
Country flag
For some it works. Others talking about avoiding long idle time to prevent -14 ltft etc. Ive seen data of maf scale from other vehicles where the short trim plotting is literally all over the place while the long term is fairly steady/reasonable with OTS options. Rescale the maf and using a different tune; it was fine again with minimal effort.

Its just not that difficult to do...yet people would rather risk their vehicle to an off the shelf email upload rather than understanding the process and what is going on.

You shouldnt have to "drive around" the wonky trimming so your car fits into a tune.
The tune should fit the car.

I just feel bad for the cars/owners nowadays that do have a negative outcome...cranking 25-27psi...with short term going as high as 20+% correction either direction even for a moment is no bueno.

Of course when you average alot of averages you end up with an "average" long term trim. LOL.

Not picking, just stating an opinion.

What intake are you using gtman?
I do agree with you on a majority of things here that you're saying, but in all fairness even the OEM box with the regular Base tunes from ktuner have been toying with people's trims at times. If you take a look at the reliability survey there are plentiful of people on these forums running OTS tunes, some of them high mileage. There are simply other factors than just the tune, seemingly the injectors on these cars for example, it's just a part of tuning and modifying your car. Again, they might not be the most optimal, that's why you monitor your stuff but it seems to work for alot of people. I'm personally running just a filter and the tune, I wouldn't go any other route than a custom tune once anything else is added but thats just me.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You're not getting a stored code for revving to 6800 rpm if that's what you're asking. It's basically only when you money shift and hit some crazy number like 8-9,000+ rpm.

Last edited:

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone with any numbers (Dragy before and after or 1/4 mile)? Really curious about this.

Chaucer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Figured I'd give a mini review of my experience going from the 1.5 to 1.5R tunes.

The tune feels like a more polished version of the 1.5, and it seems like all my minor nitpicks have been addressed. Going from a stop to cruising speed in map 1 feels more effortless, like how it felt in map 3 on the 1.5, so I love that since I prefer it keep it on a lower boost map. More throttle is needed to accelerate in higher gears, which is probably a good thing. Power at WOT does ramp better too, I’m not having the traction issues I was on the 1.5 tune. I also like the raised RPM limit, because it gives you an extra half second to shift after you hear the beep. Overall, I would say it’s a worthwhile upgrade.

The only issue I’ve had is elevated k.con, but that’s not a surprise because I’m stuck with 91oct. I need to add at least 1.5gal of e85 to keep it in the .49-.55 range, which is probably putting me closer to e18-e20. The tune is stated to be compatible with up to e15, so i may need to go back down to the original 1.5 for now. I wish there were a way to see ethanol content without getting a whole flex fuel kit.

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
What is everyone using for throttle padding and throttle response? I’m in search of the lowest jerk/smoothness when getting on and off throttle.

borcth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
@phearable

Bringing this thread back from the dead. Does Phearable not offer an upgrade from 1.5 to 1.5R anymore? I don't see it anymore. TSP still does. I'm wondering why this was removed in general. Thanks.
Sponsored