First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic SI
Country flag
Sorry for the long post in advance.

Heres my small review of the tune in comparison to the original 1.5 phearable tune for the si's which I drove for about 9000 miles. I have about 150 miles on the R tune now after cruising around testing it out.

Ok so first off, hats off to John Vega @phearable for making another great tune and keeping the competition and development for this platform alive along with a bunch of great companies doing the same, at this point its mostly personal preference between the variations out there.

Mod list: phearable 1.5R, PRL cobra with Race MAF

Driveability/Performance:

Well, if you thought the original tune was smooth, the R tune is equally as smooth if not better, this also depends on your throttle padding settings. Shifting I'd say is the same as the original version, except now the redline is extended to 6800rpm which is nice for that extra push but not recommended daily.

Where I notice the most difference is, throttle input/ramp up of the turbo in lower gears and a smoother power curve from 3rd to end of 4th while doing a pull, very similar to my old j35 accord. Acceleration in lower gears feels easier and quicker than the previous tune with less throttle input required yet not spooling your turbo to high at low rpms cause of the boost by gear limitations which can be changed, but default is recommended.

Doing pulls as mentioned feels even smoother than before, I know the original tune was already great this just has a better and more even power curve to carry it out all the way to the end. 3rd to top of 4th in our Canadian cold weather I saw 27 psi at one point lol and the car feels more like a NA car in higher gears. Low gears can still feel a bit suprising when stepping on it harder but is mostly due to short gearing.

Fuel trims/ k.cont values:

This is very individual from car to car based on your MAF and environments you drive in. I drive in mixed Toronto traffic, busy at the wrong hour but not like LA lol. Both the original and R tune Idling with the race maf on for longer times my LTFT would drop and thats just how it is on stock turbos and a bigger intake but nothing below -5 in heavy traffic. It goes back up as soon as you start moving, but either way don't idle to long anyway without moving at all regardless (+10 min), as its bad for our injectors and/or you might see double digits on your LTFT.

The air flow is different so you will see minor swings while idling, although driving, mine is almost always at 0 for LTFT and STFT can swing as it usually does. AFR values are the same for both tunes, around 13 when coming right to a stop before going up to the 14 range within a few seconds. Hard pulls are around 12-11.

For knock count, this highly depends on your quality of gas, 93+ is a must for this tune and even then sometimes it can be shit 93 so keep an eye on your numbers. I have been using petro canada 94 since day 1 for both tunes and my values stay within the 0.49-0.55 range depending on how hard I drive, 99% of the time both tunes have kept me at 0.49.

Should you buy it?/value:

This is a personal preference, if you don't own the original tune, then I'd say you may as well grab the R tune. If you are worried about the reliability of your vehicle, it depends on your driving style and maintenance, you don't need to be hitting 26 psi everytime you drive, if you do, then your longevity may obviously suffer. If you have the original tune and contemplate on spending the money to upgrade, do it while its on sale for your own sake as the deal ends March 1st. Either way this tune is great and I'd upgrade to it at the original cost as well, highly recommended as an alternative to a custom tune.

Last edited:

phearable

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Tuner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.phearable.net
Vehicle(s)
Tuner
Country flag
I fueled up at an xexon 93 octane im in New York
Just because it says 93 oct doesn’t mean it is. Especially during the winter.

Follow the guidelines mentioned in the email the tune came with.

xile6

First Name
jermaul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si, 05 scion tc turbo , 98 honda civic turbo
Country flag
Just a mini review and my findings.

Map 2 vs Map 2 race

I notice my ltfl is a bit more negative if i idle for a bit (normally its -7 but with this tune long idle will bring it to -12 but go back to -8 or so once driving for a bit)
Not sure if its due to the higher idle rpm.

Knock was a tad higher but nothing crazy
Normally is 0.48 but with race it stays around 0.50. Sometimes its 0.48 others its 0.51 but stayed between them.

Didnt get in full pull but got to around 5.5k rpm wot 3rd gear.

Feels good. Smooth and solid. With race tune the lower rpms have a bit more power to move you through them.

Overall i like it. Ill see how the fuel trims act and how it does in our 110F summers.

brendonsiX

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic SI
Country flag
Just a mini review and my findings.

Map 2 vs Map 2 race

I notice my ltfl is a bit more negative if i idle for a bit (normally its -7 but with this tune long idle will bring it to -12 but go back to -8 or so once driving for a bit)
Not sure if its due to the higher idle rpm.

Knock was a tad higher but nothing crazy
Normally is 0.48 but with race it stays around 0.50. Sometimes its 0.48 others its 0.51 but stayed between them.

Didnt get in full pull but got to around 5.5k rpm wot 3rd gear.

Feels good. Smooth and solid. With race tune the lower rpms have a bit more power to move you through them.

Overall i like it. Ill see how the fuel trims act and how it does in our 110F summers.
Yours doesn't go back to 0 once you start driving? What intake are you running, if any? If it stays -8 it's within ok range but still kinda high, mine drops to 0 within 5 minutes or less.

brendonsiX

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic SI
Country flag
How reliable do you guys think this tune is
Depends more on your maintenance and style of driving, if you hit 26 psi everyday compared to the previous tune, then naturally your car will wear faster. I drove the original 1.5 tune for 9000 miles with zero issues, since I barely hit 26 psi, this tune is about equal in terms of reliability I'd say. So far my trim/values are the same as the original tune after 300 miles.

xile6

First Name
jermaul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yours doesn't go back to 0 once you start driving? What intake are you running, if any? If it stays -8 it's within ok range but still kinda high, mine drops to 0 within 5 minutes or less.
27won street
And even just stage 1.5 was between -5 and -7.

Trufully its how all my cars have been even my 98civic i tuned myself was around -5
Could just be the weather.

But also as said i do alot of idling.

revenant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
27won street

Trufully its how all my cars have been even my 98civic i tuned myself was around -5

I had a scenario where my trims were around -7 with 27won intake. Turned out the intake filter came loose within the air box. After fixing that up, trims were back to 0 and around -2 ~ -3 on long idles.

xile6

First Name
jermaul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had a scenario where my trims were around -7 with 27won intake. Turned out the intake filter came loose within the air box. After fixing that up, trims were back to 0 and around -2 ~ -3 on long idles.
Ill check mines tomorrow but the filter should be tight. I made sure day in and checked it like a week later.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've had issues with my 27won intake filter coming undone also... Not the best design with a smooth and rounded edge that the filter couples to. Also broke one of the rubber isolation mounts after RMM inserts and 27won TIP...

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Cool stuff!

But I can smell more oil pump/shortblock failures in the future.....

Dont be sorry, be careful!

xile6

First Name
jermaul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I checked the filter and everything is tight.

However this morning before checking my ltft where around -3

As said it all seems normal to me. Just the higher -12 was a bit off. But i really do believe its just from higher idle rpm and long idle times.

Marlo42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 19 Sedan
Country flag
For what it is worth, with my 1.5 tune usually has LTFT at around ~0 unless I am idling around in slow traffic. Then it will be around 2-4. If I idle for a long time it'll shoot up. I once idled for like 30 minutes and my LTFT hit -14.

But normally I am around 0 plus or minus 2

brendonsiX

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic SI
Country flag
27won street

Yeah man, most likely the normal range considering your weather and setup if its been consistent. At the end of the day these OTS tunes are cookie cutter tunes trying to be as optimal for as many cars and conditions as possible, can't be the exakt same for everybody.
Sponsored