Perspective on the Civic Si 1.5T engine choice

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
The enthusiast wanted a 2.0T. I think the average guy should still be satisfied with the 1.5T. But it will affect sales for sure. Only true Honda die hards will go for the Si now. The competition is all using 2.0t motors. Hell even the tiny Fiesta St has a 1.6T and the horrible Hyundai Velociter has a 1.6T also lol. Honda screwed up IMO. Going to be really fun getting out performed by a Fiesta St.

Not only does a 1.5T Civic Si suck but it also means we wont have a 1.5T Fit Si.

And I think many were hoping to not have an average car. At least I was...

The Si is an enthusiast car. The R is for the enthusiast who wants Hondas race car for the road. It isn't meant to look pretty, it's meant to be functional.
Sponsored

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
It wont be more powerful than any of its competition. The GTI just got a power bump to 220hp and 240hp with performance pack. The Focus St makes 250ish hp. WRX makes 268hp.
Fiesta ST makes 197hp and 201tq and the Hyundai Velositer makes 201hp. So the Civic Si will be right around those cars performance wise.

I am guessing the Civic Si will make 210-215hp with 190-200tq.
Plus the GTI numbers are on the conservative side. They normally put to the wheels the same numbers the sticker says it had at the flywheel.

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
i will not buy one. and i was in the market. and it long time off, so kiss off SI. unless maybe the r is the new si and cheaper way cheaper than 30k.

i'll save money and boost my 2.0 when the time comes

edit 2022: so i traded the lx sedan for a hatch in dec 2016, then for some resaon i forgot what i said above and traded the 5 door lx for a 2019 si coupe 3 years later

Last edited:

Roddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this car came out with 206hp at this point -- as they claimed this is the most powerful Si.

They screwed up when the 9th gen first came out and had a huge backlash from consumers and testers... didn't they learn?

MickeyDubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Golf R
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this car came out with 206hp at this point -- as they claimed this is the most powerful Si.

They screwed up when the 9th gen first came out and had a huge backlash from consumers and testers... didn't they learn?
I think the old SI sold fairly well IIRC... I don't remember seeing to many of them just sitting around on lots.

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Honda is also slow in adopting trend, they are already pretty late on the turbo game. They kind of tested the water with the RDX and dropped it after the 1st gen.

Every manufacture is taking the opportunity to push up more horsepower, while Honda is taking the reliability route and being really careful about providing just enough. If you look back in the last 10-15 years they have been awfully conservative. It is not a small wonder that they lost the #2 spot to Nissan in Japan.

To be frank I am kind of surprised that Honda is offering the Si model at all, technically it is kind of a niche at this point and only some of the more hardcore fans will be willing to accept 205-210hp in 2017.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I think the Si will remain a staple for Honda providing they continue to keep the base trim cost friendly. The CTR is a big risk for them in North America, depending on MSRP. But now being a global platform, I think they have more production flexibility to address spikes in regional demand.

Fazzster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord 2.0T Sport Manual, 2020 Odyssey EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You may be forgiving of the critics because you don't want to alienate a customer base and that is understandable. Here are my feelings. As a Honda fan for 30+ years I find the negative criticism regarding the use of a 1.5T in the Si absolutely ridiculous. NOBODY has driven the car. NOBODY knows the specs yet. It is the same old lame argument that horsepower is everything. Honestly, the Civic Si has never been the horsepower king but rather a well rounded performance bargain. Even if this motor made 200hp, it would be plenty. I am sure the tuning potential of the turbo motor will make an additional 40-50hp with simple mods for those with fragile egos anyway.

mc1200s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 ext
Country flag
Plus the GTI numbers are on the conservative side. They normally put to the wheels the same numbers the sticker says it had at the flywheel.

My guess is 250hp. I'm being optimistic that Honda will use the number game to lift sales against the competing gti.

Although the gti is a hatch and 5 door only now but the two are competitors and cross shopped.

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
its Flat Out Clear... the 1.5T is not what the consumer wanted.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree here - I think this is precisely what the consumer wanted.

This forum is a hugely self-selected population; Honda has sold a shit-ton of Si-badged vehicles over the past 30 years, and they know the market pretty well. Now that Honda has jumped into the forced-induction pool, the 10g can unbottle some of the "potential" performance the Si has carried around for a few generations now and instead deliver it as "actual" performance for Joe Normal-Si-Driver straight out of the box.

If anybody thinks that a statistically-significant portion of Honda's Si-buying public is driving around in 300whp+ DD Civics (you know, the kind that people bring in their shiny new cars for service at the Honda dealer, who tell their friends to go buy a new stock Honda instead of a clap-trap 4g coupe as a "project car"), they're mistaken. There are lots of folks who shoehorn go-fast bits into their car, but they aren't the majority.

The 1.5T is a perfect match with the market Honda is courting.

mc1200s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 ext
Country flag
You may be forgiving of the critics because you don't want to alienate a customer base and that is understandable. Here are my feelings. As a Honda fan for 30+ years I find the negative criticism regarding the use of a 1.5T in the Si absolutely ridiculous. NOBODY has driven the car. NOBODY knows the specs yet. It is the same old lame argument that horsepower is everything. Honestly, the Civic Si has never been the horsepower king but rather a well rounded performance bargain. Even if this motor made 200hp, it would be plenty. I am sure the tuning potential of the turbo motor will make an additional 40-50hp with simple mods for those with fragile egos anyway.
No way 200 would be plenty. That's plum ridiculous.

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
No way 200 would be plenty. That's plum ridiculous.
If the car performs better than the 9g (as Honda is claiming), I couldn't care less how much HP it has. The Si has always been a "whole-package" car, and that's what I'm in the market for.

While I think it'll have 220hp +/-, it doesn't really matter. Wait until you drive it, read how C&D can get 3/10ths of a second faster 0-60 times than anybody else, then make your choice.

MTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 RDX, 17 MDX
Im not going to pass any judgement until the final specs are released. It might be a small 1.5, but it could have forged internals, a big fat intercooler, high flow injectors and a big twin scroll turbo. Even if it only makes 220hp compared to cars like the GTI and ST, the Civic will probably have a more favourable power to weight ratio. What does a current Coupe weigh? 2800lbs and an Si might be say 2900. GTI is a tad over 3000 and the ST close to 3300.

Id also suspect that Hondas quality would prevail and the Si would be more reliable and have better resale too. The Si has always been a great handling and driving car too. Also, in my opinion, the St down right ugly and the GTI very bland.

To me, theres more to a sport compact then outright power and speed.

froidpython

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic Si
I can just imagine how sluggish it will feel with the AC on. Ugh.
I hope I'm wrong. But it's basically just a Ford Fiesta with a larger body. Not a good combination.