Perrin "what to expect" motor mount inserts

Patrick Bateman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 FK8, ā€˜19 XC60 R-Design, ā€˜17 ZL1, ā€˜02 SS
Country flag
Very interesting, thanks for sharing this info. When did you start heading the rattle? Before the inserts? At what mileage? Maybe it coincided with some bolt-ons or the Hondata tune and the inserts exacerbated it, or maybe caused it?
Never had the rattle. About 3 weeks ago I installed a prl down and front pipe, inlet pipe, turbo blanket and the mount inserts all at one time. Heard the rattle on my first drive and everyone after.
I initially put the car back on stands and removed the plastic shield assuming it was the heat shield that needed to be temporarily relocated for the front pipe install. Wasnā€™t it. Turned out I didnā€™t put the front pipe in the rubber hanger. Put the car back together and the rattle persisted. Next weekend put the car on stands, removed the shield, blah blah. Had the wife modulate the throttle while I was under the car. Sound was obviously coming from above. Turns out it was the linkage.
Googled for a solution. Found the thread in the maintenance section and thought I just never noticed the sound because of the heat shield that was over the stock downpipe..
Drove around all week and got more and more irritated. Decided removing the inserts was worth a try. Same drill, stands, cover, unbolt front pipe and pull the mount.
Start the car, felt better. Drove for 5-10min no noise. No noise on any of my drives today.

ā€˜18 R, just hit 10k..
Sponsored

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Never had the rattle. About 3 weeks ago I installed a prl down and front pipe, inlet pipe, turbo blanket and the mount inserts all at one time. Heard the rattle on my first drive and everyone after.
I initially put the car back on stands and removed the plastic shield assuming it was the heat shield that needed to be temporarily relocated for the front pipe install. Wasnā€™t it. Turned out I didnā€™t put the front pipe in the rubber hanger. Put the car back together and the rattle persisted. Next weekend put the car on stands, removed the shield, blah blah. Had the wife modulate the throttle while I was under the car. Sound was obviously coming from above. Turns out it was the linkage.
Googled for a solution. Found the thread in the maintenance section and thought I just never noticed the sound because of the heat shield that was over the stock downpipe..
Drove around all week and got more and more irritated. Decided removing the inserts was worth a try. Same drill, stands, cover, unbolt front pipe and pull the mount.
Start the car, felt better. Drove for 5-10min no noise. No noise on any of my drives today.

ā€˜18 R, just hit 10k..
Thank you for the detailed response. This information is invaluable.

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I just got the Perrin inserts and my initial impression was that they are a softer material than the material in some of my previous rear motor mount upgrades. I canā€™t imagine why these little additions would cause any rattling. I will update with some feedback once I have mine installed this week. If they add noisy vibration they will come off immediately.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Some really good info here guys. Thank you for all of this. :)

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
How long is the break in period? Iā€™m getting really inconsistent rattling. Some days itā€™ll be very minimal with the ac on and other days itā€™ll be rattling like crazy with the ac on. Is it because I put too little grease on? Maybe my RMM was put on on the wrong side up? Not sure if thatā€™s a thing. Iā€™ve driven 800 miles so far.

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
How long is the break in period? Iā€™m getting really inconsistent rattling. Some days itā€™ll be very minimal with the ac on and other days itā€™ll be rattling like crazy with the ac on. Is it because I put too little grease on? Maybe my RMM was put on on the wrong side up? Not sure if thatā€™s a thing. Iā€™ve driven 800 miles so far.
You added the inserts to your stock RMM?

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I installed the perrin inserts. The only 'vibrations' i feel are under soft load from a stop putting the car into 1st. If im in lower RPMs and engage 1st i get a pretty big vibration. As long as im in higher rpms it wont vibrate like that

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think this is something I should buy, thanks for all the good info guys!

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Iā€™ve had them installed for about six months and I think the NVH is barely noticeable. Itā€™s definitely worse when itā€™s cold. My commute is 90 minutes so I didnā€™t want to go back to the days of my B swap solid motor mounts all around. If it was remotely like that, I would have removed them in the first two weeks.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Fyi:
The Whiteline inserts are 94A shore hardness.The Perrin are 70A .So more nvh with the Whiteline ones i guess.
Hard pass then imo - I just put the Perrin ones in last night - feel great and the vibration is minimal - but any more would piss me off

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do let us know what your impressions of them are though. I just personally feel that if there was something else that the mod improved someone would have mentioned it by now. But different people are different and use the car for different reasons.
So as promised, but delayed because I've been busy lol - I put the motor mount inserts in last night.

Install - Honestly people said this was an easy install - it's not. It's a bear and half to get the damn thing in there even greased up with O-ring lube. And getting that 19mm bolt back in after you get the larger back end of the bit up in there? .........man my arms are tired.

-Suggestions on install - use the 27Won install instructions - with the Perrin insert - Perrin doesn't talk about taking out more of the push clips to give more room in the plastic dropdown to drop the 17MM back bolt. If you don't do that - there is no way you're getting in there without damaging that plastic imo. Also plan to use a spanner and not a ratchet on the 17mm - no way you get a ratchet in there unless you take off the whole plastic undertray (I was not motivated enough to do that there are a lot of bolts and clips to remove the whole thing)

- Installed on jackstands / jack supporting in garage - was enough clearance to do it that way but I really don't want to swap that thing out again lol

Time - 1.5 hours - ~30-45 minutes of actual install - the rest is spent cursing, resting arms, and cursing some more.

Experience driving -

You can feel a bit of vibration at idle, but it feels more like the car is just a bit more rumble-ee - if that's a thing. It's not an annoying vibration, at least to me, yet.

Driving is a neat experience tbh - the car really smoothly keeps the tires down when they spin and it feels much more planted because of it.

I think I really like the mod, but didn't have a ton of wheel time with it. Pushing it felt really good and planted / smooth.

Only 'downside' if you will is the vibration feel when going into reverse / immediate take off - it may be something I get used to and account for when driving - just need to see.

I would not in a million years want to get a full rear motor mount like a 27won - I mean I bet it feels BAD ASS - but would be too much for me on the daily I'm almost certain. I think the Perrin would be as far as I would want to go with this sensation, and would wager even the whiteline at a harder rubber compound may have been swapped back to swap had I put that in. Just a guess - but based on what this thing does, I like it where it's at - but I wouldn't want 'more' of it.

Interesting experience overall and for 30 bucks it was a no brainer . I think it's a positive mod for the car

8/10 would install again, and probably leaving it in for forseeable future

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
So as promised, but delayed because I've been busy lol - I put the motor mount inserts in last night.

Install - Honestly people said this was an easy install - it's not. It's a bear and half to get the damn thing in there even greased up with O-ring lube. And getting that 19mm bolt back in after you get the larger back end of the bit up in there? .........man my arms are tired.

-Suggestions on install - use the 27Won install instructions - with the Perrin insert - Perrin doesn't talk about taking out more of the push clips to give more room in the plastic dropdown to drop the 17MM back bolt. If you don't do that - there is no way you're getting in there without damaging that plastic imo. Also plan to use a spanner and not a ratchet on the 17mm - no way you get a ratchet in there unless you take off the whole plastic undertray (I was not motivated enough to do that there are a lot of bolts and clips to remove the whole thing)

- Installed on jackstands / jack supporting in garage - was enough clearance to do it that way but I really don't want to swap that thing out again lol

Time - 1.5 hours - ~30-45 minutes of actual install - the rest is spent cursing, resting arms, and cursing some more.

Experience driving -

You can feel a bit of vibration at idle, but it feels more like the car is just a bit more rumble-ee - if that's a thing. It's not an annoying vibration, at least to me, yet.

Driving is a neat experience tbh - the car really smoothly keeps the tires down when they spin and it feels much more planted because of it.

I think I really like the mod, but didn't have a ton of wheel time with it. Pushing it felt really good and planted / smooth.

Only 'downside' if you will is the vibration feel when going into reverse / immediate take off - it may be something I get used to and account for when driving - just need to see.

I would not in a million years want to get a full rear motor mount like a 27won - I mean I bet it feels BAD ASS - but would be too much for me on the daily I'm almost certain. I think the Perrin would be as far as I would want to go with this sensation, and would wager even the whiteline at a harder rubber compound may have been swapped back to swap had I put that in. Just a guess - but based on what this thing does, I like it where it's at - but I wouldn't want 'more' of it.

Interesting experience overall and for 30 bucks it was a no brainer . I think it's a positive mod for the car

8/10 would install again, and probably leaving it in for forseeable future
Sounds about right. Did you use all your grease or only a light coat? I put a light coat on mine so I think thatā€™s why Iā€™m getting hard vibrations with AC on sometimes.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sounds about right. Did you use all your grease or only a light coat? I put a light coat on mine so I think thatā€™s why Iā€™m getting hard vibrations with AC on sometimes.
I followed another poster's advice and bought some of that plumbers o-ring lube - and I put a LOT on - basically coated all contact surfaces. That 'could' be your issue, as the more lube the better imo, in there. If I was motivated I would probably take it apart and add more lol. I even put a bit on the outside to assist with getting it to slide in.

If you have a TON of vibration, like shaking keys in the cupholder and making noise, I think that's not right. I took the wife for a drive with me and she had her keys in the cupholder and it didn't cause additional cabin noise. (as an example of the level of transferred NVH I'm experiencing)

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I followed another poster's advice and bought some of that plumbers o-ring lube - and I put a LOT on - basically coated all contact surfaces. That 'could' be your issue, as the more lube the better imo, in there. If I was motivated I would probably take it apart and add more lol. I even put a bit on the outside to assist with getting it to slide in.

If you have a TON of vibration, like shaking keys in the cupholder and making noise, I think that's not right. I took the wife for a drive with me and she had her keys in the cupholder and it didn't cause additional cabin noise. (as an example of the level of transferred NVH I'm experiencing)
Iā€™m assuming you mean silicone grease. Iā€™ll probably pull them out and grease the inserts and insides real well. I donā€™t really get my keys to shake in my cup holder, itā€™s more of my entire dash shaking bad sometimes when my ac is near full blast if Iā€™m parked or idling at a light. It vibrates bad sometimes and some days itā€™s completeLy fine and I have 0 issues.
Sponsored