SoFlo
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CW CTR
Country flag
I am tossed up between the two intercoolers and i would love a little bit of feedback. I have been searching up specs for weeks now. And since black friday is here both intercoolers can be found for less than $600! So what are your thoughts on each one ? Please and Thank you guys
Sponsored

ctl

First Name
ctl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2017 BMW 430i gran coupe, 2020 BMW X3 M40i, 1991 CRX SI
Country flag
I am tossed up between the two intercoolers and i would love a little bit of feedback. I have been searching up specs for weeks now. And since black friday is here both intercoolers can be found for less than $600! So what are your thoughts on each one ? Please and Thank you guys
I also was at a toss up between these two intercoolers. With the black Friday sales going on I went with the prl fmic. The reason why I didnā€™t go with Perrin is because upon installation, on the splash shield you need to cut the small support ribs on the upper section of the splash guard.

OP
OP
mLkctR

mLkctR

SoFlo
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CW CTR
Country flag
I also was at a toss up between these two intercoolers. With the black Friday sales going on I went with the prl fmic. The reason why I didnā€™t go with Perrin is because upon installation, on the splash shield you need to cut the small support ribs on the upper section of the splash guard.
yea Iā€™m aware the the support ribs having to be cut. but the Perrin has more surface area And more air slots in the front so more cooling effect Was my thought.

ctl

First Name
ctl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2017 BMW 430i gran coupe, 2020 BMW X3 M40i, 1991 CRX SI
Country flag
yea Iā€™m aware the the support ribs having to be cut. but the Perrin has more surface area And more air slots in the front so more cooling effect Was my thought.
Depending on what youā€™re looking for a bigger intercooler may or may not benefit you as Michael Baxi explains here at 1:51 and his closing thoughts at 12:31. but all are high quality products.

PrisonerOfDoom

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R #3166, '04 IS300, '01 Tacoma
Country flag
Both companies make great products. I personally have the PRL intercooler and love it. You can't go wrong with either one.

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I have the PRL intercooler and itā€™s build to last. Love it and recommend it.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
PRL ftw. I installed mine during the summer when it was super hot and muggy and it made a huge difference. Could only do 1 maybe 2 pulls with the stock intercooler then IATs were so hot there was a very obvious/noticable drop in power. It was like trying to do a pull with the a/c on full blast, even though it was completely off.

monstarind

Monstar Industries
First Name
Monstar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.monstarind.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R FK8R
Country flag
Both work good. I am biased to the PRL as that is what I sell the most of and have. Offering some black friday specials on the Billet PRL Intercooler if you are interested.

elmerzasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
From my very limited experience and research (anyone correct where I'm wrong):

- PRL - retains OEM flanges, but requires no modifications to the vehicle hence fully reversible, $649 MSRP
- Perrin - retains OEM flanges, but requires minor trimming of bumper splash guard, $714 MSRP

So out of those two I would choose PRL. Personally, however, I would go for one of these:

- Wagner - includes both silicone hoses, has large bore inlet and outlet, requires trimming of OEM airguides, $890 MSRP
- 27WON - includes inlet aluminum pipe, ho silicone hoses included, has large bore inlet, probably the most "clean" fitment, requires trimming of OEM airguides, not yet in sale (?), ??? MSRP
- HKS - includes metal inlet and outlet pipes, but retains OEM outlet flange, requires trimming of OEM airguides, $950 MSRP, may be a little bit heavier due to full metal piping (?)

FWIW I have the Wagner IC and remain impressed by both craftsmanship and efficiency.

OP
OP
mLkctR

mLkctR

SoFlo
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CW CTR
Country flag
From my very limited experience and research (anyone correct where I'm wrong):

- PRL - retains OEM flanges, but requires no modifications to the vehicle hence fully reversible, $649 MSRP
- Perrin - retains OEM flanges, but requires minor trimming of bumper splash guard, $714 MSRP

So out of those two I would choose PRL. Personally, however, I would go for one of these:

- Wagner - includes both silicone hoses, has large bore inlet and outlet, requires trimming of OEM airguides, $890 MSRP
- 27WON - includes inlet aluminum pipe, ho silicone hoses included, has large bore inlet, probably the most "clean" fitment, requires trimming of OEM airguides, not yet in sale (?), ??? MSRP
- HKS - includes metal inlet and outlet pipes, but retains OEM outlet flange, requires trimming of OEM airguides, $950 MSRP, may be a little bit heavier due to full metal piping (?)

FWIW I have the Wagner IC and remain impressed by both craftsmanship and efficiency.

Yea i have done research over the past 3 months on probably 8+ intercooler setups. The 2 reasons i am choosing between those two is 1) excellent craftsmanship and not too big so not alot of pressure loss. 2) both can be purchased right now for about $550 each due to Black Friday pricing. The cutting of the ribs on the splash guard do not bother me as i will probably own this car for a very long time and nobody will ever see the area you actually cut from unless the intercooler was taken back out.

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
I have the PRL intercooler on my car and I'm very satisfied with it. Great craftsmanship and on point fitment. At the power levels that I and most others will be achieving a larger unit would be the same as hitting a small nail with a sledge hammer. Overkill!

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
Yea i have done research over the past 3 months on probably 8+ intercooler setups. The 2 reasons i am choosing between those two is 1) excellent craftsmanship and not too big so not alot of pressure loss. 2) both can be purchased right now for about $550 each due to Black Friday pricing. The cutting of the ribs on the splash guard do not bother me as i will probably own this car for a very long time and nobody will ever see the area you actually cut from unless the intercooler was taken back out.

Link me $550 Perrin IC, please. I canā€™t find that deal.

OP
OP
mLkctR

mLkctR

SoFlo
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CW CTR
Country flag
Link me $550 Perrin IC, please. I canā€™t find that deal.
perrin is running 15% off.. use code ā€˜JONNYS_TYPER10ā€™ and it adds another
10% off for a total of 25% off and at $547 I believe .
Sponsored