arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Just a heads-up to anyone cleaning their car interiors - do NOT use chemical cleaners on your gauge cluster. In my case, I used Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer, which they advertise as such:

"Safely cleans ALL Interior"

"Quickly and safely clean interior plastics, vinyl, leather, rubber, metal, and even LCD and navigation screens"

I'm here to tell you that it's a lie. Do not use this on your gauge cluster plastic. I sprayed this on and it immediately started permeating through the plastic and permanently damaged the clear plastic... It's hard to see in the pics, but all those marks are not on the surface of the plastic, it feels like it's on the other side of the plastic somehow. I tried to use some windex on it after, but it didn't take anything off...

Im just going to order a new cluster. Hopefully Honda sells just the front clear plastic seperately from the gauge display.

Honda Civic 10th gen Permanent damage to gauge cluster plastic from detailer 20200710_164448

Honda Civic 10th gen Permanent damage to gauge cluster plastic from detailer Screenshot_20200710-164704_Firefox Focus

Honda Civic 10th gen Permanent damage to gauge cluster plastic from detailer Screenshot_20200710-174847_Firefox

darrvao777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR, '18 G550
Country flag
i like to use rinseless wash (dunk towel in bucket of rinseless wash solution diluted at 1:256, heavily wring it out, gently wipe down interior). n914 is my rinseless wash of choice at the moment but onr is great too

cost effective, safe, effective, particularly if you keep your interior fairly clean already

OP
OP
arpypat

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
i like to use rinseless wash (dunk towel in bucket of rinseless wash solution diluted at 1:256, heavily wring it out, gently wipe down interior). n914 is my rinseless wash of choice at the moment but onr is great too

cost effective, safe, effective, particularly if you keep your interior fairly clean already
Thanks for the suggestion. I will use something like that for the surfaces in the future. I threw that bottle of Meguiar's in the trash.

I ended up finding the part number for the speedo lens cover. Luckily, it was just $15! It's a PITA to get to, but after I replace it, I'm only wiping it with a microfiber cloth and no solution from then on.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
never directly spray the product on the panel. Even the instructions say that to spray on the microfiber cloth and then wipe it down.

PdxJose

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Good to know. I clean my entire interior, including screen and cluster with this chemical guys cleaner. But one thing I don’t do is spray directly on the screen or anything in that matter. I spray it on a clean microfiber and then use another microfiber to wipe clean. Leaves it perfect, no water stains, no lint, no streaks and most importantly, no scratches.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/total-interior-cleaner-and-protectant/total-interior.html

OP
OP
arpypat

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
never directly spray the product on the panel. Even the instructions say that to spray on the microfiber cloth and then wipe it down.
Tha'ts what I was going to do, but the instructions on the bottle said to shake well and spray directly onto the surface being cleaned...

:doh:

Honda Civic 10th gen Permanent damage to gauge cluster plastic from detailer 20200710_210954

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Tha'ts what I was going to do, but the instructions on the bottle said to shake well and spray directly onto the surface being cleaned...

:doh:

20200710_210954.jpg
LOL!!! I use turtle wax ice interior cleaner and it says not to spray directly except for sever stains on cloth/leather surfaces

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Thanks for the suggestion. I will use something like that for the surfaces in the future. I threw that bottle of Meguiar's in the trash.

I ended up finding the part number for the speedo lens cover. Luckily, it was just $15! It's a PITA to get to, but after I replace it, I'm only wiping it with a microfiber cloth and no solution from then on.
Have you already received that Honda lens? Are there any markings or recycling labels on it saying what kind of polymer/plastic it is?

I have a bottle of the same product that I bought maybe last year or the year before. Is yours older than that? The front is identical and the same product number, but the instructions on the back are somewhat expanded. They added for example to not let it self-dry on the surface.

I'm a bit surprised anything like this happened. This is a water based product containing more water than anything else. It doesn't evaporate fast. I just tried it on some transparent plastics and It seems unlikely to damage any plastic so quickly. Unless the product was somehow deteriorated or defective. Or something else was on your lens or wipe.
Or.....it was counterfeit :spaz::fear:.

Honda Civic 10th gen Permanent damage to gauge cluster plastic from detailer 82BF4401-A349-4588-BCBA-12C8FC127722

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:
OP
OP
arpypat

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Have you already received that Honda lens? Are there any markings or recycling labels on it saying what kind of polymer/plastic it is?

I have a bottle of the same product that I bought maybe last year or the year before. Is yours older than that? The front is identical and the same product number, but the instructions on the back are somewhat expanded. They added for example to not let it self-dry on the surface.

I'm a bit surprised anything like this happened. This is a water based product containing more water than anything else. It doesn't evaporate fast. I just tried it on some transparent plastics and It seems unlikely to damage any plastic so quickly. Unless the product was somehow deteriorated or defective. Or something else was on your lens or wipe.
Or.....it was counterfeit :spaz::fear:.

82BF4401-A349-4588-BCBA-12C8FC127722.jpeg
No, I just placed the order on Friday afternoon, so it will probably be a while before I actually get the lens and have time to swap it out.

Interesting instructions on the bottle you have. Maybe I have an older one? Or maybe I got a counterfeit one? I did order it on Amazon, so who knows... :what:

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Ouch, thanks for the PSA. Glad to hear Honda sells the plastic piece for $15.

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Just a heads-up to anyone cleaning their car interiors - do NOT use chemical cleaners on your gauge cluster. In my case, I used Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer, which they advertise as such:

"Safely cleans ALL Interior"

"Quickly and safely clean interior plastics, vinyl, leather, rubber, metal, and even LCD and navigation screens"

I'm here to tell you that it's a lie. Do not use this on your gauge cluster plastic. I sprayed this on and it immediately started permeating through the plastic and permanently damaged the clear plastic... It's hard to see in the pics, but all those marks are not on the surface of the plastic, it feels like it's on the other side of the plastic somehow. I tried to use some windex on it after, but it didn't take anything off...

Im just going to order a new cluster. Hopefully Honda sells just the front clear plastic seperately from the gauge display.

20200710_164448.jpg
Dealing with this right now and just noticed yesterday my radio display is really scratched up also. :(

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Anything that says "restores shine" or "shine and protect" should not go on something clear. Even if it didn't damage it, you could end up with smears that are a pain to remove, which could lead to damage/scratches.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I never use anything other than a damp rag to clean interior plastics. I'll use Meguiar's Gold Class on leather surfaces, but I'm not fond of using any chemicals anywhere else. Use a damp rag to wipe down then a dry microfiber to wipe clean. It's worked great on all my cars for years. Saves money too.
Sponsored